Culturing Aiptasia

zimajays
  • Total Posts : 203
  • Scores: 4
  • Reward points : 351
Culturing Aiptasia - Friday, October 21, 2011 3:55 AM
I am thinking of working with Berghia Nudi's, but before I do that I like to get my ducks in a row in terms of knowledge and would like to know if there is a trick to culture aiptasia.  It appears that they will grow if needed, and wont if you do need them to.

At the moment I have a fairly healthy aiptasia population in a tank that gets heavily fed, and has an ATS as its only filtration.   I have tried irritating them to see if they release anything and cant see anything and it makes no difference that I can see.

What I dont want is to end up not having enough to feed them.   Anyone else got any other ways of doing it?
Proud member of the first dedicated breeders site in the UK
Marine Fish Breeders Club - UK
H.Zosterae - 60 DPS

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Scores: 14
  • Reward points : 1486
Re:Culturing Aiptasia - Friday, October 21, 2011 9:12 AM

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:Culturing Aiptasia - Friday, October 21, 2011 9:32 AM
The way I would do it would be to scrape as many from your display and put them in a mono culture situation.  If you black the tank out for a couple weeks they will break up into smaller anemones.   At that point I would start feeding flake food to the tank and you should see them grow and multiply.   I would then scrape indivuduals out as needed to feed the berghia.   Try to scrape as cleanly as possible because if you mangle/smash them they will foul the berghia water much more quickly.  Only add what they consume in a few hours.    I havent started a culture myself, I am still scraping them from a display tank but I plan to do the above soon.  You can also check out Inland Aquatics website for some instructions on berghia and aiptasia.   

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:Culturing Aiptasia - Friday, October 21, 2011 9:35 AM
Or just follow the link Jim posted.  Good stuff!

zimajays
Re:Culturing Aiptasia - Friday, October 21, 2011 11:26 AM
Thanks very much!  I will have a read!
H.Zosterae - 60 DPS

zimajays
Re:Culturing Aiptasia - Thursday, November 24, 2011 10:24 AM
I am trying to get Aiptsaia off rocks, and have read that icewater works.  But how?  Do you put the rock in a bucket in the firdge and leave it for half an hour, or do you plunge the rock into already cold water?  How cold is cold?  1C??

Ideally would like the rock to still be alive, but its not an issue if I kill the rock, as long as the aiptasia live (never thought I would say that!)
H.Zosterae - 60 DPS