Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion melanopus

Mdoty
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Reward points : 1044
Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion melanopus - Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:47 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Amphiprion melanopus
Social Structure:  female is dominant and larger, one female and one male
Size of Individuals:  female is a bit over two inches, male is just under two inches 
Age of Individuals:  at least 5 years
Date added to Tank: over five years ago              

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  75 gallons
Substrate Details:  sand and crushed coral
Filtration Details:  live rock, bio balls, and bak pak protien skimmer
Water Changes:  5 gallons weekly
Water Temperature: 78f               
Lighting: 10k and 453 actinic t5s and ecoxotic LED's 
Lighting Cycle: light on at 10:30 off at 9:30               
Other Tank Inhabitants: one six line wrasse, hermits, snails, corals, bubble tip anemone                

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  frozen mysis, brine, and other frozen marine foods
Feeding Schedule:  3-5 times a day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  1/27/11
Spawn Time of Day:  afternoon
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  5/27/11, 6/13/11, 6/29/11, 7/12/11, 7/25/11, 8/7/11, 8/21/11, 9/4/11, 9/20/11, 10/6/11, 10/22/11              
Courtship Details:  circling each other, nibbling, rubbing on each other, male cleans nest site, both together in the anemone 
Egg Size: ~2mm              
Egg Color: at spawn they are bright orange, then darker red and the clear with gray eyes by hatch night              
Egg Count: 100- 150 

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  the two hatches that babies have servived are 9/30/11, and 10/17/11
Hatch Time of Day:  late night, at least an hour after lights out
# Days after Spawn: hatch on the ninth night.              
Larvae Description: about 3mm long, clear with dark eyes and organs.               

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  78f
Size of Larval Tank: 16 gallon black tub with about 5 gallons of water              
Substrate Details:  none
Other Tank Decor: none              
Filtration Details:  none, just water changes 
Lighting:  60 compact florescent 
Lighting Cycle: about 16 hours a day, on at 6 am and of at 10pm 
Water Changes:  add about a quart of water from broodstock tank each day and about a gallon water change once a week

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  rotifers with green water technique 
Feeding Schedule:  constant 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 10/9/11                
Days after Hatch:  9 days
Date of Settlement End:10/12/11 
Description of Fry:  rounded bodies, a head stripe and some also have one to two more stripes, dark red almost black now, they look like mini adults

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:  78f
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 10 gallon taml               
Substrate Details:  none
Other Tank Decor: none              
Filtration Details:  none, only water changes still, plan to add a sponge filter soon
Lighting:same as above               
Lighting Cycle: same as above               
Water Changes:  add about a quart of broodstock water daily and one gallon water change weekly
Size at Transfer:  1- 1 1/2 cm
Age at Transfer:  one month and 2 days old

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: crushed flakes, also trying brine shrimp 
Feeding Schedule:  3 times a day

Additional Information
l
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information:  these fish are aggressive, first sign of aggression was just past meta. 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by Mdoty on Thursday, November 3, 2011 11:09 AM>

Mdoty
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion melanopus - Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:55 AM

<message edited by Mdoty on Thursday, November 3, 2011 11:12 AM>

Mdoty
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion melanopus - Thursday, November 3, 2011 11:08 AM
Some journal notes that are worth pointing out. I attempted a couple hatches before I got any to hatch. Once I did get a couple I would only get two or three babies from the whole clutch of eggs. I was able to keep them alive for a few days but the longest I made it was about a week. Some problems I figured out was I wasnt adding enough rotigreen so the fry where sitting at the edges of the hatching tub and not eating. Another problem was I wasnt adding fresh water daily, so after just a few days the salinity would raise too high. So after I had some of these techniques worked out I got some help from Matt Pedersen on bubble flow over the eggs in the hatchery. I had the bubbles way to low, they need to be pretty strong and directly over the eggs. This increased my hatch to about 20 babies the first time I attempted it. Now I have two sets of babies both past metamorphosis. 

Mdoty
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion melanopus - Friday, November 4, 2011 9:05 PM

<message edited by Mdoty on Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:30 AM>

Mdoty
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion melanopus - Sunday, November 6, 2011 1:39 AM
Now feeding minced brine and mysis shrimp.

Mdoty
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion melanopus - Monday, October 7, 2013 9:52 PM
This journal can be found at,
http://www.lsmac.org/smf/index.php?topic=350.0