Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni

AmandaCox
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points : 195
Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Saturday, November 5, 2011 3:20 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Pterapogon kauderni 
Social Structure:  Pair (I hope!) 
Size of Individuals:  ~2.5" 
Age of Individuals:  Unknown, wild caught 
Date added to Tank:  Purchased 10/25/11, Added to broodstock system 10/31

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  20 long, separated in half with egg crate, three plastic plants offer hiding space
Substrate Details:  None
Filtration Details:  System tied to 100 gallon sump with live rock, plan to add skimmer soon
Water Changes:  10% weekly
Water Temperature:  79 - 80 degrees 
Lighting:  Single T5
Lighting Cycle:  12 on/ 12 off
Other Tank Inhabitants:  2 turbo snails

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Rod's Original, Rod's Breeders Blend, tried TDO, but they did not want to eat pellets
Feeding Schedule:  3 x / day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 
Spawn Time of Day: 
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 
Courtship Details: 
Egg Size: 
Egg Color: 
Egg Count: 

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description: 

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 
I purchased four wild caught Banggais hoping to get a pair.  I watched them for a week and noticed two that liked to hang out together.  Those two were pulled out and put in the broodstock system.  The other two seem to be getting along well, however they both stopped eating yesterday - need to figure out why.  The pair in the broodstock system are piggies and eating well.

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

AmandaCox
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:48 PM
Well, the banggais were doing great, all eating well and getting along until today.  We had a disaster at the shop - the back room radiators and pipes caused the room to get super hot.  When we arrived this afternoon to check on everyone the temperature controller read 108.  Alarms were going off, however we do not have the model that sends alerts via text or email.  We lost the banggais in the broodstock system along with all the coral in our grow-out system and a couple fish in quarantine in that room.  I feel terrible.  The controller couldn't help and there is not a chiller on the system, but if there was I don't know if it could have compensated for the incredibly hot room temperatures.  
Lesson learned, that room in the winter time is no place for fish or coral unless the building can bring the radiators under control. 

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Reward points : 446
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:50 PM
oh no. So sorry to hear this. Have you been able to move the ones that survived? That just really sucks.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Sunday, November 27, 2011 7:43 PM
Horrible. I feel really bad for you. I had a heater stick on during the first hot days of summer, got up to ~95F.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Sunday, November 27, 2011 10:25 PM
Oh no!  Sorry to hear about your troubles. 

AmandaCox
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Monday, November 28, 2011 7:14 AM
Thanks guys

Tal - Did you end up losing any of your livestock when that happened?

I hope to eventually get another pair, but felt really lucky that these were so healthy.  Thank goodness everything in the adjoining room was okay and not effected by the radiator issue.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni - Monday, November 28, 2011 4:53 PM
Quote Originally Posted by AmandaCox

Thanks guys

Tal - Did you end up losing any of your livestock when that happened?

I hope to eventually get another pair, but felt really lucky that these were so healthy.  Thank goodness everything in the adjoining room was okay and not effected by the radiator issue.

It happened in my growout system and I only lost about a dozen of the smallest juveniles that were just over a month old. The rest were fine.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."