Culture Journal, Species: Artemia (adult)

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Culture Journal, Species: Artemia (adult) - Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:21 AM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Artemia franciscana
Species description:  Adult shrimp are about 7 mm long, swim freely, very active.
Culture source (link if possible):  Brine Shrimp Direct; Grade A Cysts
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  Oct 25, 2011.
Continuation Date: 

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.016
Temperature:    Ambient; about 68 F
pH:  Not tested

Vessel description:  1 gallon fish bowl
Lighting description:  Natural ambient
Lighting cycle:  8 am - 6 pm (as of Nov 10)
Aeration description:   Rigid airline tubing, open end, about 2 bubbles per second

Methodologies
Split methodology:  Not yet

Culture medium description:  0.5 mL per day RotiGrow+ split into two feedings, equal amount of AmQuel.

Cell count:  About 3 dozen

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes:  The purpose of this culture is to feed Blue Mandarins.  I should have acquired a pair of Mandarins awhile back, but have not yet.  This culture will come in handy as I convert the wild Mandarins to prepared foods.

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by EasterEggs on Friday, November 11, 2011 11:51 AM>

EasterEggs
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Artemia (adult) - Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:21 AM
This is currently a co-culture with B plicatilis rotifers as the Artemia infected the rotifer cultures in two 5 gallon aquariums.  I will sieve the Artemia out of the rotifer cultures this weekend into their own culture.

<message edited by EasterEggs on Friday, November 11, 2011 11:50 AM>

EasterEggs
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Artemia (adult) - Friday, November 11, 2011 11:51 AM
Nov 11, 2011:  I just sieved the Artemia out of the rotifer cultures into a 1 gallon fish bowl.  I fed them 0.5 mL RotiGrow+ which I think was too much.  Will try feeding 0.5 mL per day split into two equal feedings.  There are about 3 dozen adults.  Will need to figure out a different culture vessel, but for now I want to be able to easily observe them.

EasterEggs
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Artemia (adult) - Sunday, November 13, 2011 11:32 AM
They don't eat much.  Takes them 24 hours to clear 0.5 mL RotiGrow+.  There is quite a population of rotifers in the Artemia culture too.  Will have to sieve them out someday.

EasterEggs
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Artemia (adult) - Monday, November 21, 2011 10:46 AM
I'm a poor culturer.    When I don't know what to do I do nothing at all.  So, I haven't done any waterchanges on the adult Artemia tank because I figure there would be eggs on the bottom of the tank, and I don't know how to sort that out.  So the culture was milky today, and I only have about 6-8 surviving adults.  Their water was heavily contaminated with rotifers.  I sieved the Artemia out, and put them in fresh saltwater.  Hmmm...so, any advice on culture maintenance?

CableGuy
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Reward points : 731
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Artemia (adult) - Monday, November 21, 2011 11:47 AM
Mindy, if they are happy and healthy they will not produce eggs, but actually produce BBS.

I agree that they are SLOOOOOW eaters and will eat just about anything, but like I said slowly.
-Adam

EasterEggs
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Artemia (adult) - Monday, November 21, 2011 6:22 PM
Ohhhh reeeally?  Maybe some of those "contaminating rotifers" were actually BBS.  Hmmm.  Will check closer next time.  At least I didn't crash them all the way.  So I can vacuum the bottom then? 

Ya, I feed them very lightly, they don't eat much.

DSpate
  • Total Posts : 38
  • Reward points : 173
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Artemia (adult) - Friday, July 12, 2013 11:57 PM
Mindy, are you still culturing BS? 

I have left my culture outside for close to 2 months now, and a LOT of them have egg sacs hanging from them and they also look to attached 2 by 2 now. 

Not sure what the next stage is... Is there anything I need to be doing? Just let them run wild and they should reproduce?