Bathypolypus arcticus

JamesBWood
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 21
Bathypolypus arcticus - Sunday, November 13, 2011 6:12 PM
I am posting to report success with stage 1 to 4 for the deep-sea octopus, Bathypolypus arcticus.   This work was conducted as part of my PhD at Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia; Dr. Ron O'Dor was my adviser.  

I believe that this work is the first and only time any species of deep-sea octopus has been successfully collected from the wild, bred in captivity, hatched successfully and raised for over a year from captive laid eggs.  

As documented in:

I believe this image compilation shows the only existing 35 mm photographs of any species of deep-sea octopus hatching.
This is my first time posting here; apologies for any breaks in etiquette.

Dr. James B. Wood
The Cephalopod Page - Webmaster
Co-author of Octopus: The Ocean's Intelligent Invertebrate 

James B. Wood Ph.D.
The Cephalopod Page - Webmaster
Octopus: The Ocean's Intelligent Invertebrate - Coauthor

JamesBWood
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 21
Re:Bathypolypus arcticus - Sunday, November 13, 2011 6:25 PM
I have been unsuccessful in entering anything into the species box on this form:

!IMPORTANT!
Please be aware that the burden of proof that you have made a species first will lie with the person submitting the request. Additionally the amount of information required to approve a Species First request is much greater than a standard event. Please make sure that the Breeding Journal associated with this request is as up to date and detailed as possible. If you had previousily published a report of the success somewhere outside of the MBI system include a link to the location and the date the report was published in the details below. You can only submit a Species First request for a Species that you have already submitted all four events report and have been awarded a success for. 

Thank you for your understanding
The MBI Council

General Name: JamesBWood Date: 11/13/2011 Date of Success: Species:   -- Select Species --   ( Points: 
* Field is Required
Link to Journal:   find...(MBI Forums only)   Valid MBI Site     You MUST have current pictures in the above thread to prove that the event you are reporting has occured.
If you have not updated your thread please go back and do so now. The MBI Council will not be able to approve any event reports unless the Journal Thread contains photographic proof of the event.

Research or Links to information:
(List any and all information about the success including where you first published your success) Search Terms used:
(List terms and tools you used in an attempt to find other successes before yours)

Other Details: Other Information:

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Bathypolypus arcticus - Sunday, November 13, 2011 6:26 PM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Feel free to create a journal in the breeding journal forum.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

aomont
  • Total Posts : 774
  • Reward points : 1003
Re:Bathypolypus arcticus - Sunday, November 13, 2011 6:46 PM
Hey James, welcome and congrats on your work !!!
You were not able to fill a report in because the species is not in our database yet but you can create a journal as Tal said and suggest the species to be added to our database.
Link to forum where to start your journal: http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/tt.aspx?forumid=86
Link to the form to enter a new species in the DB: http://www.mbisite.org/ClassReq.aspx
 After the species is in the DB you can post the reports on the spawning/hatch/settlement.
Anderson.

Duck
  • Total Posts : 466
  • Scores: 8
  • Reward points : 465
Re:Bathypolypus arcticus - Sunday, November 13, 2011 7:17 PM
Great work, thanks for sharing!

CableGuy
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Scores: 7
  • Reward points : 731
Re:Bathypolypus arcticus - Sunday, November 13, 2011 7:27 PM
Amazing, thanks for sharing!
-Adam

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Scores: 13
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:Bathypolypus arcticus - Monday, November 14, 2011 6:34 AM
Welcome welcome! 

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Bathypolypus arcticus - Monday, November 14, 2011 7:03 AM
Welcome, and excellent work!  I saw "Nova Scotia" and was excited about another Canadian on the forums, but alas you're from Florida!  I think I am the only Canadian here.