Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Reward points : 1486
Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Monday, November 14, 2011 8:55 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Lysmata amboinensis
Social Structure:  Pair
Size of Individuals:  Appx. 3"
Age of Individuals:  Unknown -- At least 15 months
Date added to Tank:  9/1/2010

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  10 Gallons
Substrate Details:  Aragonite sand
Filtration Details:  HOB filters w/biowheels in sump
Water Changes:  Small and frequent
Water Temperature:  Ambient room temp -- appx 74 F
Lighting:  Small strip floursecent
Lighting Cycle:  Manually on and off -- Appx. 16H on / 8H off
Other Tank Inhabitants:  Two Perclua clowns, snails, hermit crabs.

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Various pellets and frozen foods.
Feeding Schedule:  3-4 times a day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  First recorded spawn: 11/7/2011
Spawn Time of Day:  Unknown - I suspect at night right after hatch / molt.
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  After every molt -- they stay perpetually pregnant
Courtship Details:  None observed.  The pair stays together.
Egg Size:  Small, appx. 1 mm ?
Egg Color:  Greenish-gray
Egg Count:  Hundreds

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  11/22/2011
Hatch Time of Day:  10:00 PM, just before lights out.
# Days after Spawn:  Not sure.  Could be 15 days.
Larvae Description:  Tiny larvae with orange centers, no stalked eyes, six relative long legs, and shorter appendages in front of the long legs, and sticking out in front.

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  Ambient room temp., appx 74 F.
Size of Larval Tank:  1 gallon fishbowl.
Substrate Details:  None
Other Tank Decor:  None, except for an airline.
Filtration Details:  Live Phytoplankton.
Lighting:  None.
Lighting Cycle: N/A
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  Apocyclops panamensis copepods at first.
Feeding Schedule:  Continuous.

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by JimWelsh on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 11:44 PM>

JimWelsh
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Monday, November 14, 2011 8:57 PM
Since I had such serendipitous success with peppermint shrimp, I thought I might as well give these guys a try.  Picture of cleaner shrimp carrying eggs:

Attached Image(s)

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Monday, November 14, 2011 9:02 PM
Holy cow! Great shot!
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:29 AM
That's a fabulous shot.  You've earned your 135 points! IMO
<message edited by KathyL on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:46 AM>

JimWelsh
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:29 AM
Thanks Tal and Kathy!  I got lucky.

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:30 AM
Ya, no kidding.  Good luck!

JimWelsh
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Wednesday, November 23, 2011 11:38 PM
Relatively new user CaptCrash recently posted some nice photos of his L. boggessi larvae, so I felt challenged to get some decent pics of my L. amboinensis larvae in their first day.  Here they are:

Attached Image(s)

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Thursday, November 24, 2011 6:44 AM
Gorgeous!

CaptCrash
  • Total Posts : 649
  • Reward points : 1276
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Thursday, November 24, 2011 7:02 AM
I think that this means I need to step up the quality of my photos, yours are awesome.

Good luck with these, hopefully Ill be following you in a few months as mine grow up.

luis a m
  • Total Posts : 451
  • Reward points : 1249
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Thursday, November 24, 2011 1:08 PM
Amazing,Jim.a piece of art!
Any chance you tell us your lighting secrets?

JimWelsh
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Thursday, November 24, 2011 1:20 PM
Thank you, Luis!  The larvae was in a drop of water on an inverted small glass bowl.  The bowl was on an inverted 10 Gallon aquarium strip light (Black plastic strip light).  Shot with stock lens on a bellows extended way out on my Canon Rebel XT, with the black plastic of the strip light hood in the background.  The fluorescent bulb is parallel with the larvae, and quite far below it, from the perspective of the viewer.

I only realized after I took these that I had the ISO set at 800.  There was plenty of light, and I could have set the ISO to 100, and gotten much less grainy images.  I'll try that next time.

luis a m
  • Total Posts : 451
  • Reward points : 1249
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Friday, November 25, 2011 9:20 AM
So some light is coming from above and some from beneath,giving us the best of both worlds!
What fluo light was that,photo light?
The pictures are so good,that I´d like to describe larval parts based on them.Perhaps in another thread?.I don´t want to mess with your?

JimWelsh
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Friday, November 25, 2011 10:07 AM
Actually, Luis, the light was only coming from below.  Some may have been reflected off of the top of the water drop, or perhaps even the camera lens.  Feel free to copy the images to another thread, and if you need me to send them to you, just email me.

I'll try and see if I can get some even better ones that are less grainy later tonight.  If I understand this species correctly, it takes about 4 days for the first molt, so they should still be at the first zoeal stage this evening, I think.

JimWelsh
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Friday, November 25, 2011 8:55 PM
OK, Luis here you go!  This time, the animal was in a drop of water on a microscope slide elevated on the inverted bowl, and the bowl was sitting on a 20 gallon tank on its side.  The light was a simple clamp-on light with a 6500K compact fluorescent bulb.  I had a black filter sponge in the background.  Shot at 100 ISO, 1/60 and 1/100 second, with the stock 28-90 mm zoom lens that came with the Canon Rebel XT, on a bellows, extended quite far out.  This time, the camera was on a tripod, and I used the mirror lock-up feature and a remote shutter control.

EDIT:  The light was below the animal, inside the 20 gallon, to the upper left in these images.

<message edited by JimWelsh on Saturday, November 26, 2011 1:05 AM>
Attached Image(s)

JimWelsh
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Friday, November 25, 2011 9:04 PM
Sames images, zoomed and cropped better ( I hope! ):

Attached Image(s)

CableGuy
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Reward points : 731
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Friday, November 25, 2011 9:14 PM
Dang Jim... awesome... just awesome!
-Adam

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Saturday, November 26, 2011 5:56 PM
Dang…Sweet!

JimWelsh
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:33 PM
Zoea 2.  These images aren't as good as I'd like, and they are probably the last ones I'll get from this hatch, as this batch is going downhill fast.  I have too many other things I'm dealing with right now, and I'll always have more of these larvae to work with later.

Attached Image(s)