Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata vitatta

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 41 to 64 of 64 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
CaptCrash
  • Total Posts : 649
  • Reward points : 1273
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Friday, July 20, 2012 8:14 AM
Todays pictures (day 24-26)
I think I am getting closer with these guys now, I really like the detail within the eye.

Its wierd, when compairing to Luis's thread on RC http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851511 the development of these guys seems to be either taking a lot longer or Im not understanding what he is talking about.

I was trying to show better detail of the legs and swiming legs so I could count them.

I think that I can only see
4 pairs of walking legs
4 pairs of swiming legs

I have no idea what Z stage this is.
<message edited by CaptCrash on Sunday, July 22, 2012 5:17 AM>

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Friday, July 20, 2012 11:11 PM
Better pictures, I have my tripod back and can use the good lens (no more hand held ... yay)

2 day old brine shrimp for size reference

<message edited by CaptCrash on Saturday, July 21, 2012 9:15 AM>

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Saturday, July 21, 2012 7:42 AM
Oh, they lost their things at the front (lol), you're close to settlement now!
<message edited by EasterEggs on Saturday, July 21, 2012 9:42 AM>
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Saturday, July 21, 2012 8:31 AM
I hope so.  The wierd thing is I dont really understand what I am doing that different.

My success so far this time is based on no real change of process at all.
I did exactly the same as I did for my last batch of clowns (clarkii I think).
I even managed to dump one hatch of shimp (three in this batch) in with the clarkii's by mistake (took a couple of weeks to catch them all and move them over).

Started with rotifers and greenwater, then added NHBBS morning and night most days.
Siphon the bottom with a ridgid airline every 2 days
I have been doing large water changes 70% every 2-3 days since about day 14.
Replacement water is dripped in over a few hours.

Other than collecting some for photos, I have not moved them from the RBT.
It has a heater and a very low set airline with a fine air stone.

I have done all of this before, I am being a bit more focused on changing water and siphoning the bottom and it seems to be building up quicker (maybe just more shrimp from three batches).

EasterEggs
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Saturday, July 21, 2012 9:06 AM
Hmm, interesting.  You have an airstone in there too?  How is it positioned?

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Saturday, July 21, 2012 9:29 AM
Leaning against the side of the RBT at the bottom.
I use a cloths peg as a clip to hold the air line, so it cannot fall out.

EasterEggs
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Saturday, July 21, 2012 10:49 AM
Thanks, airstone or no airstone?  Maybe I will try BRT for the shrimp when a BRT frees up.

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Saturday, July 21, 2012 11:48 PM
Quote Originally Posted by EasterEggs

Thanks, airstone or no airstone?  Maybe I will try BRT for the shrimp when a BRT frees up.

Yes there is an airstone.  Its just a regular one, but it creates reasonably small bubbles.  I gave up on the wooden ones, they kept blocking or breaking.

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Sunday, July 22, 2012 3:15 AM
I think I have been able to find the appropriate Zoea stage.  I think that they are at Z8.
I am basing this on the detail in Luis's RC thread http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851511

These pictures from today show development of the pleopods, they are not yet complete, so the shrimp are not yet at Z9, hence Z8.

<message edited by CaptCrash on Sunday, July 22, 2012 5:21 AM>

EasterEggs
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Sunday, July 22, 2012 8:06 AM
Yes, I would agree with you!  I guess you still have some waiting...11 zoea stages before settlement.

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Monday, July 23, 2012 12:38 AM
These guys seem to be growing well and clearing NHBBS very quickly now.

The majority are approx 7mm in length, thats about 40% in two days (they are different shrimp being measured so maybe todays is just long, I try to catch the largest most developed from my 200ml collection container).  Both measurements are from antanae tip to tip of tail not including paddles.

I really like the detail of the tail

Today the pleopods are much larger and bifurcated (two parts).

Hopefully by tonight/tomorrow they will be at Z9 with the pleopods being complete.

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Monday, July 23, 2012 12:42 AM
For those that have raised these before, how did you find them once they settled?

By find I mean spot?
Im debating moving them from the RBT into a wide flat container so that it will be easier to locate then once they settle.  Does this sound like a good or really bad idea?

My thought was to provide 40 or 50 pieces of pipes for hiding locations for them and the larger the floor area of the container, hopefully the less aggression

EasterEggs
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Monday, July 23, 2012 1:08 PM
Very cool!  I wouldn't move them!  I've heard people say they've seen settled shrimp standing on the airline tubing.  I've also heard people say they transfer each one as it settles to growout tank.  I'm not sure if that it a good thing to do or not.

luis a m
  • Total Posts : 451
  • Reward points : 1249
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Monday, July 23, 2012 1:19 PM
Going well,nice development series.
It doesn´t look like boggessi,neither the adults nor the zoea.Isn´t vitatta more likely to find in Oz?.
You have Z9,when A2 reaches the fork of A1.
From Z7 onwards,larvae show 6 pairs of "walking legs";MP3 and the 5 pairs of pereiopods.
They don´t shed their paddles,they become the 5th pair of legs after meta.But they can easily lose them due to handling or tangling.This is not convenient,as they must lose energy growing them back.

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Monday, July 23, 2012 7:47 PM
Quote Originally Posted by luis a m

It doesn´t look like boggessi,neither the adults nor the zoea.Isn´t vitatta more likely to find in Oz?.

Yup, I was doing some reading last week and it looks like I have been relying on the US clasifications.  I ended up desciding on the species as they had green eggs and matched the general description when starting out with these guys.

But in doing some reading last week, I came across several references to vitatta being the variety that is avaliable in Australia.  We cannot bring crustations or coral into Australia from other countries, so it turns out that L. boggessi is wrong.

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata vitatta - Wednesday, August 1, 2012 7:52 AM
Day 35-37 depending on batch
They all seem to be growing and continuing to have changes

I have a few where the paddles on pp5 appear to be shrinking/reabsorbed.  Im hoping that this is a good thing.
This only seems to be happening with the smaller larvae.  The larger larvae just continue to grow.

I happened to collect the shrimp with a container that had a dead clarkii larvae in it, they quickly descided it was food and chased who ever was holding the dead larvae, a bit like a game of british bulldog but for lunch.

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Reward points : 1486
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Wednesday, August 1, 2012 10:14 AM
Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash

For those that have raised these before, how did you find them once they settled?

By find I mean spot?
Im debating moving them from the RBT into a wide flat container so that it will be easier to locate then once they settle.  Does this sound like a good or really bad idea?

My thought was to provide 40 or 50 pieces of pipes for hiding locations for them and the larger the floor area of the container, hopefully the less aggression

Since you are so close to settlement, I wouldn't move them now.  Lots of places to hide is a good idea.  As far as spotting them, you are correct -- they get quite translucent as soon as they settle, but they should start to color up very quickly afterwards.  At first, I knew they had settled simply because they started disappearing!  Mine were in a 5.5 gallon glass tank with some pipefish fry at the time, but they were still pretty darn hard to see at settlement, even with all that visibility.  What you're looking for is that shrimpy movement in the tub, more than the shrimp themselves, if that makes any sense.  Pretend you're looking for shrimp wearing magic invisibility cloaks or rings or whatever, but they don't work perfectly.  The antennae and edges of the carapace still can be seen, so you're looking for a shrimpy-moving outline of a shrimp.

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Wednesday, August 1, 2012 11:14 AM
<Sarcasm>Cool that makes it simpler.</Sarcasm>

I'll keep an eye out for an invisible shrimpy looking outline, that shouldn't be to hard to see 12" below the surface in a black tub with thousands of NHBBS.

Thanks for the "help" (well its sort of help )

That's gold Jim, I had such a giggle reading that

Ps thanks for the advice.
Pps it must be invisibility rings as cloaks would get wet and then they wouldn't b able to swim
<message edited by CaptCrash on Wednesday, August 1, 2012 10:34 PM>

luis a m
  • Total Posts : 451
  • Reward points : 1249
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Wednesday, August 1, 2012 12:53 PM
No,the pp5 don´t shrink,they are just changed to the 5th pair of legs in the post larva.Which at first look somewhat clumsy
To catch post larvae,drop one or more short pieces of pipe in the tank.In the morning you pick it closing both ends with your fingers and empty it in a dish and check for shrimps.

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Thursday, August 9, 2012 11:51 AM
Well after all that effort the last larvae disappeared today.
I searched the tub and all that was left were a few moults.

No settled shrimp 

EasterEggs
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Thursday, August 9, 2012 1:45 PM
Ah, bummer!!!!

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Friday, August 10, 2012 2:24 AM
Yup, and to add to the glory.  I left the airline and water turned off on the parent shrimp tank and lost three of the adults.  Its not my week for shrimp.

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Friday, August 16, 2013 12:17 PM
Well after a long break with these guys, Im giving it another go.

8th Aug 2013 - Night of hatch

16 Aug 2013

Stay up to date with my breeding efforts:
Regal Tang RegalTangBreeding
Mccullochi Clownfish MccullochiClownfishBreeding 

Magicj
  • Total Posts : 82
  • Reward points : 254
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Friday, August 29, 2014 1:13 AM
Old thread, but did you manage to have any success with these shrimp ?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 41 to 64 of 64 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version