Breeding Journal, Species: Chrysiptera parasema

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Reward points : 446
Breeding Journal, Species: Chrysiptera parasema - Friday, November 25, 2011 9:49 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Chrysiptera parasema
Social Structure:  three individuals.
Size of Individuals: 3/4" - 1"
Age of Individuals:  3-4 years
Date added to Tank:  can't remember

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  180 gallon
Substrate Details:  fine sand. 4-6" deep with live rock throughout
Filtration Details:  two 30 gallon sumps
Water Changes:  none
Water Temperature:  82F
Lighting:  two 48" 6 bulb T5HO fixtures
Lighting Cycle:  on 11:00 am off 10:00 pm
Other Tank Inhabitants:  Yellow Tang, Lavender Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Diamond Gobie, pair of A. ocellaris

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  DIY frozen food. Rods food. PE Mysis
Feeding Schedule:  once daily

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  estimated 11/17/2011
Spawn Time of Day:  unknown
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  unknown
Courtship Details:  I did notice both damsels going back and forth behind the large shell. One would come out, touch the other, then they would both go behind the shell.
Egg Size:  none seen
Egg Color:  none seen
Egg Count: none seen

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  11/25/2011
Hatch Time of Day:  10:15pm
# Days after Spawn:  unknown
Larvae Description:  very small fry. seems to be about half the size of A. ocellaris

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  80F
Size of Larval Tank:  1 Gallon
Substrate Details:  Bare Bottom
Other Tank Decor:  none
Filtration Details:  none
Lighting:  none as of now. Ambient in the future
Lighting Cycle:  none
Water Changes:  1 quart daily

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  Rotifers, Apocyclops panamensis
Feeding Schedule:  As needed. At least twice daily

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information
I just found the babies tonight. They are not clown fry and the only other option is the Chrysiptera parasema. I wasn't expecting them. I'll grab pics tomorrow. it was a pleasant surprise!
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by rgrking on Sunday, December 11, 2011 5:39 PM>
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

rgrking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Chrysiptera parasema - Friday, November 25, 2011 10:15 PM
ok it's dark. bear with me.

Here they are in with my clown fry from last night

RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

rgrking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Chrysiptera parasema - Sunday, November 27, 2011 12:16 PM

RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

rgrking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Chrysiptera parasema - Sunday, November 27, 2011 12:23 PM
the parents

RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

aomont
  • Total Posts : 774
  • Reward points : 1003
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Chrysiptera parasema - Sunday, November 27, 2011 1:19 PM
Quote Originally Posted by rgrking

This one looks like a crustacean larvae to me...
Anderson.

rgrking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Chrysiptera parasema - Sunday, November 27, 2011 1:23 PM
they are all of the same fry though.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

luis a m
  • Total Posts : 451
  • Reward points : 1249
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Chrysiptera parasema - Sunday, November 27, 2011 1:52 PM
Perhaps you have mysids in your tank?

rgrking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Chrysiptera parasema - Sunday, November 27, 2011 2:02 PM
none at all. I wish I did lol. I have hermits. That's the only thing I have more than one of.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

rgrking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Chrysiptera parasema - Sunday, November 27, 2011 2:03 PM
there's a very noticeable tail. I'll try to get a side pic, so you can see it too.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

luis a m
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Chrysiptera parasema - Sunday, November 27, 2011 4:13 PM
Hermits must they be,so
The tail is in the horizontal plane in the pic,same as the eyes.and the pointed rostrum (nose) is unfishy.A closer look will help.

rgrking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Chrysiptera parasema - Sunday, November 27, 2011 4:21 PM
here's a few more. There is a crustacean in there. I didn't notice till today, but I still think there is fry in there too.

here's the crustaceans

here's the fry

I have videos coming. They are taking forever today though.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

rgrking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Chrysiptera parasema - Sunday, November 27, 2011 4:33 PM
you know there is one other thing it might be. I thought I had two males, but there's a couple of Harlequin shrimp in there. I need an expert to chime in! If it's harlequins I'm gonna bust! I doubt it is, but....
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

rgrking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Chrysiptera parasema - Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:09 PM

RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

aomont
  • Total Posts : 774
  • Reward points : 1003
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Chrysiptera parasema - Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:19 PM
Yep, both fish and crustacean larvae !
Anderson.

rgrking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Chrysiptera parasema - Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:28 PM
pretty cool
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

rgrking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Chrysiptera parasema - Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:42 PM

RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

rgrking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Chrysiptera parasema - Monday, November 28, 2011 2:30 PM
I talked with an expert in Harlequins. Definately not them. Also, I emailed the only person I've bought anything from in a couple of years. They used to have mysis and peppermint shrimp in the tanks. Perhaps I'll get lucky enough to have them keep growing and reproducing in my tank!

Still have the fry to contend with. I didn't see any at lunch when I went home, but I didn't have a lot of time to look either.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

CableGuy
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Reward points : 731
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Chrysiptera parasema - Monday, November 28, 2011 2:35 PM
Looks the the same mysid I was catching about a year ago out of my tank.
-Adam

luis a m
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Chrysiptera parasema - Monday, November 28, 2011 3:54 PM
Doesn´t look like a hermit crab zoea.More like a shrimp zoea.But I bet for mysids

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Chrysiptera parasema - Tuesday, January 1, 2013 5:38 PM
Any progress?  I'm pretty sure my Yellow Tails are breeding and I can see in their cave quite well, but I think I missed their spawn.
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]