Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis

CaptCrash
  • Total Posts : 649
  • Reward points : 1273
Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Sunday, December 4, 2011 8:16 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Lysmata amboinensis
Social Structure:  Group of three
Size of Individuals: 2 @  6cm 1 @ 4cm
Age of Individuals:  Unknown
Date added to Tank:  May 2011

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  Breeding setup approx 1000L total.  Tank 380x610x390mm 67L 17.5US Gal
Substrate Details:  None
Filtration Details:  Skimmer, UV, Macro Algae, Live Rock
Water Changes:  100L Fortnight
Water Temperature:  27.1
Lighting:  Power Compact
Lighting Cycle:  7am to 7:45pm
Other Tank Inhabitants:  4 x Blood Shrimp, 2 x Picaso Clownfish (growing up)

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Spectrum Thera A+, Spectrum Salt H20 flakes, Enriched Brine Shrimp, Marine Green, Home Made Mash (prawn, pipi clam, white bait, squid, garlic, norrie etc). Occasional live brine shrimp and/or NHBBS
Feeding Schedule:  Morning and night.  Pellets followed 10 minutes later with frozen food.

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  October 2011, reported spawn 12/4/2011
Spawn Time of Day:  Unknown
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  Unknown at this time
Courtship Details:  Unknown not witnessed
Egg Size:  < 0.5mm
Egg Color:  Initially clear to cream coloured.  Developing to a green colour.
Egg Count:  not counted, many hundreds.

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  12/22/2011
Hatch Time of Day:  10pm
# Days after Spawn:  18
Larvae Description:  Small yellow/white critters that are attracted to light. Movement varys, with some moving in straight paths, others appear to jump from position to position. Others still seem to spin very rapidly.

They are 2-3 times the size (bulkier) than peppermint larvae and much easier to make out with the naked eye.

Larval Tank Details
Group 1
Temperature:  26c
Size of Larval Tank:  50L
Other Tank Decor:  Heater
Filtration Details:  water change and air stone
Lighting Cycle:  6am to 10pm
Water Changes:  variable

Group 2 - 5
Temperature:  26c (water bath holding kreisel's)
Size of Larval Tank:  5L Kreisel shaped tank
Other Tank Decor:  None
Filtration Details:  Rigid Air Line
Lighting Cycle:  6am to 10pm
Water Changes:  variable

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  Rotifers raised on Reed Rotifer Diet. Greenwater acheived by tinting the water with Reed Nannocholoropsis, about 2ml.  Baby Brine Shrimp within 4 hours of hatch.  1ml of AmGuard for ammonia control daily.  Density of food has not been measured, but kreisel's have been arranged with density increasing from right to left (both Rots and NHBBS).
Feeding Schedule:  morning, afternoon and night depending on food remaining in RBT or Kreisel

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

Additional Spawns:  
S = Date of Spawn  
H = Date of Hatch 
H 2/18/2014

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by CaptCrash on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:11 AM>

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Sunday, December 4, 2011 8:20 AM
I think that this is a clutch of eggs.

I will try to get a better photo tomorrow

EDIT:  Ill count this as the spawn date 12/4/2011. 
<message edited by CaptCrash on Wednesday, December 7, 2011 8:54 PM>

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Wednesday, December 7, 2011 8:41 PM
Here is my prawn cocktail shot.

Yup, its more eggs :-) 

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:02 AM
For the last few nights I have been expecting the eggs to hatch.
They are very plump now, with the swimmerets now no longer able to close neatly. The underside of the shrimp looks disheveled.

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:12 AM

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:13 AM
They have finally hatched.  Now comes the really painful part.

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Reward points : 446
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:46 AM
Great!!!!

Keep us updated on it!
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

FuEl
  • Total Posts : 36
  • Reward points : 77
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:15 AM
The really painful part comes 4-5 months later....

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:20 AM
Quote Originally Posted by FuEl

The really painful part comes 4-5 months later....

luis a m
  • Total Posts : 451
  • Reward points : 1249
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:08 PM
Excelent view of the limbs which allows a description.Zoea 1,the first stage,has two pairs of limbs called maxilipedia (MP2 and MP3).But each splits in two "legs"called endo and exopods.Looking as if there are 4 pairs instead of 2.In this pic one can easily see how endop and exop stem from the same root.
So we have from the front to the rear:
MP2 end.-The short one.
MP2 exop-
MP3 end.-(coloured point)
MP3 exop.
endop of the right MP3 is bent to the left side of the larva.
And we also have a clear view of the antennula (A1) and antenna (A2)

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Thursday, December 22, 2011 5:50 PM
Luis,

Thanks for that, I appreciate the info.

What is the star shaped antanae? In the middle of it head called?

These photos are 1 hour post hatch.

luis a m
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:08 PM
Must be some Xmas thing
I dont know,probably an artifact.This is where the rostrum shows,but the rostrum is shorter in Lysmata

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Reward points : 1486
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Friday, December 23, 2011 1:34 AM
Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash

Luis,

Thanks for that, I appreciate the info.

What is the star shaped antanae? In the middle of it head called?

These photos are 1 hour post hatch.

Show-off!

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Friday, February 3, 2012 9:50 AM
New hatch tonight of about 100 fry.

This will be the last hatch until I get some more brood stock.  My largest shrimp has now killed two other cleaners one at a time over (I think its the large one doing the deed).
There are some other shrimp in the same tank.  This pair has been together since may last year.

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Thursday, February 9, 2012 9:49 AM
well my estimate of 100 fry was way off.
tonight in cleaning out the black bucket they are in I stopped counting at 250.
So either they are able to self duplicate or I cant count.

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Thursday, February 9, 2012 10:41 AM
I'm finding raising these little aliens really exciting.  Every time I take photos of them, they are different.  Its like a little surprise every couple of days.
They are 6 DPH as of tonight and seem to be going strong. 
Even though Im not getting any through as yet, with these or the peppermints, its still fun and I appear to be making progress slowly.

luis a m
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Thursday, February 9, 2012 11:01 AM
Again your pics are outstanding!
You focused on the antennae and we can see a flagellum between A1 and A2 which shows only briefly,in Z2.Amazing!

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Thursday, February 9, 2012 11:38 AM
Thanks Luis,

I need to learn more terminology ...

In the second shot there are what I assumed are gills that are external to the body as the were pulsing as the shrimp was sitting still.

These have a red base with white fluffy ends that pulse, like a breathing action.

Each of the photos are of different shrimp fry. The middle one was "bulkier" than the other two to the eye, it's what made me pick that one, it also looked red in the body. The other two were lighter and pail yellow to white to the eye.

Under the camera this red colourful was not apparent, I checked a number of fry with the same result.

luis a m
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Saturday, February 11, 2012 5:43 PM
No,these are maxillipedia,not gills.Anatomy of larval appendix is a little complicated.See my threads for a description.Yes,they keep them moving like bringing water to their mouths.
This is the 2nd zoea and only during this stage,we can see this flagellum between A1  and A2.Hard to see and a nice photographic document!

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Sunday, February 12, 2012 10:08 AM
well its another big bucket of fail.
They are all dead again.

I keep making stupid choices with these guys and the peppermints, like "that bucket looks a bit dirty, its late so Ill clean it tomorrow".  Then I forget to clean it the following night and then they are all dead. Grrrrrr.

Its my own fault, if I cleaned it straight away, it would be fine.

Whys Alives
  • Total Posts : 142
  • Reward points : 176
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Tuesday, February 28, 2012 12:04 PM
Fantastic photos, Cap'n!  Following.
©2013 Ryan F. Mercer -All Rights Reserved.
          === TREASURE HUNT ===

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Wednesday, August 7, 2013 11:58 AM
Collected a large batch of fry from my reef tank tonight.  This is from one shrimp, the other released a similar amount three days ago.

How great are chads larvae snaggers.  They make it so easy to collect shrimp. Cheers
Stay up to date with my breeding efforts:
Regal Tang RegalTangBreeding
Mccullochi Clownfish MccullochiClownfishBreeding 

Whys Alives
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:17 PM
Nice!  Love the design.
          === TREASURE HUNT ===

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Exploding Heater! - Friday, August 9, 2013 3:52 AM
 I had a bit of a horrible experience a couple of nights ago with a heater exploding and demolishing a tank.

The tank had been dry for a couple of weeks, everything was unplugged.
I removed everything from the tank and gave it a good clean, including the heater then used the heater to keep the fry warm in a 5 Gal salt bucket whilst I added water to the tank.

Once it was ready I unplugged the heater, put it into the tank, added the fry to the kressel in the tank and then turned the heater on.

Initially the light came on, on the heater and then flickered.  Then it looked like is started to ark.
I turned off the power to the heater, as I did so the ark got really bright and then the heater exploded.

The tank is 6mm glass and two large holes were punched through it.

I have to say, this was one of the scariest things I have had happen.  Massive bang, water everywhere, nasty smell and the power shutting off to the sound of water poring out of the tank.

The remains of the offending heater (ironically the brand is listed on one of the shattered pieces, so Im not sure what it was.  I do have another one somewhere so thats getting removed).

Whats left of the tank and my kressle

A few days later the fry are still alive now back in the 5gal salt bucket with another heater, I was expecting them to be dead, but it looks like I should keep feeding them and put them back into another tank.

Whys Alives
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Exploding Heater! - Friday, August 9, 2013 8:50 AM
Wild.  Arc, *snap*, lights-out, then nothing but the woosh of rising water.  That sounds a bit like being on board a ship wreck.  Of course, to be literal, it was a sea vessel that ran a (electrical) ground.

Personally, I prefer titanium heaters.  You really should post the brand.

Hope it all works out!
          === TREASURE HUNT ===

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Exploding Heater! - Sunday, August 11, 2013 11:48 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Whys Alives

You really should post the brand.

I had a hunt around for the other heater I had that was the same.  But it looks like it was one that failed a while ago and wasnt heating.
I have no idea on the brand or even how old it was.

On the positive side, the batch of fry is still going.  1/2 have been put back in the kressle in another tank and the remainder are still in a 20l/5g salt bucket and doing well.

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Exploding Heater! - Friday, August 16, 2013 12:40 PM
Well after all of the pain these guys have gone through they are still going.  There are only about three left in the kressle but a heap in the 20l salt bucket.  The pics are from the salt bucket ones.

Something that is interesting, is the tail of these.  They are spindly rather than joined like a fan.  Is this normal?

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata amboinensis - Exploding Heater! - Tuesday, January 21, 2014 9:55 AM
Collected a new batch of fry tonight.  Something that was a bit weird was that some quite yellow and some only white.  For the time being I am assuming the white ones may have been peppermint shrimp.  They seemed larger and were all white.  Also collected were five Amphiprion ephippium that hatched at the same time, these were left with the shrimp fry.

In total there would be between 600-800 fry, it looks like the biggest batch I have got from this pair ever.