Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi

r33fking
  • Total Posts : 112
  • Reward points : 316
Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Monday, December 5, 2011 1:28 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Lysmata boggessi
Social Structure:  group of 6
Size of Individuals:  1-2"
Age of Individuals:n/a 
Date added to Tank:  3/6/2010

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  20 gallon
Substrate Details:  bare bottom
Filtration Details:  wet dry , skimmer, turf scrubber
Water Changes:  5-10% weekly
Water Temperature:  80F
Lighting:  shop light
Lighting Cycle:  14/10
Other Tank Inhabitants:  none

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  frozen mash , spectrum pellets
Feeding Schedule:  1- 4 times daily

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  4/22/2010
Spawn Time of Day:  evening
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  twice per month
Courtship Details:  close proximity 
Egg Size:  1-2 mm
Egg Color:  green to silver
Egg Count:  100

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  5/6/2010
Hatch Time of Day:  9:00pm
# Days after Spawn: 14 i think          
Larvae Description:  no eye stalks , 3mm

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  80F
Size of Larval Tank:  20 gallon BRT
Substrate Details:  bare
Other Tank Decor:  heater, air stone
Filtration Details:  slow drip from broodstock system
Lighting:  overhead 
Water Changes:  drip

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  s rotifer, artemia under 12 hours , enriched artemia 
Feeding Schedule:  co culture of rotifer, artemia added once daily

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:  6/5/2010  
Days after Hatch:  42
Date of Settlement End:  6/18/2010
Description of Fry:  1/4" miniatures of parents , red in color

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:  80F
Size of Grow-Out Tank:  20 gallon glass tank
Substrate Details:  pvc fittings , cup of aragonite
Other Tank Decor:  egg crate house
Filtration Details: flow thru wet dry, skimmer, turf scrubber          
Lighting:  shop light 
Water Changes:  5-10% weekly
Size at Transfer:  1/4"-1/2"
Age at Transfer:  50 dph

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:  frozen mash, spectrum pellets
Feeding Schedule:  1-4 times daily

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by r33fking on Monday, January 9, 2012 1:34 PM>

r33fking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Monday, December 5, 2011 1:33 PM
 broodstock

settled larvae during transfer to grow out 

about 85 days after settlment i think

<message edited by r33fking on Wednesday, January 4, 2012 11:36 PM>

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Tuesday, December 27, 2011 1:38 PM
You are doing without a kriesel?  I find if my boggessi larvae settle on the bottom of the vessel they die.  Do yours not settle on the bottom of the 20 gallon tank you're using as a larval tank?

r33fking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:20 PM
i am using a 20 gallon BRT . i guess i missed that while writing my journal on my smart phone .
to answer your question : i have not noticed loss associated with the larvae settling on the bottom unless there is a lot of detritus build up .
i have seen some kind of harpacticoid pod swarm boggessi larvae as they were resting on the bottom but it seemed like it was more of an annoyance to the larvae than anything. 
i have played around with a kriesel before but i didnt get better results than i can with the BRT.
last year i kept them alive for 3 weeks in 2 liter cylindrical containers while doing some experiments with different foods . i had the containers aerated at i bubble per second and about 70F room temp. 
after the trials i transfered the test subjects into the BRT. 

r33fking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:33 PM
one thing i see to be important in raising these guys is to give the larvae enough space and dont let them clump up in a tight group . the larvae bumping into each other interferes with feeding and causes them to drop limbs . in my trials with the kriesel they were to concentrated and always bumping into each other causing alot of loss . 
part of it was me trying to dial the flow on my kriesel (i am not a kriesel pro) but after some adjustments i wasnt able to get them distributed as evenly as i wanted but it was a little better and i saw less loss . 
latley i have been working with larger volume tubs and i can spread them out evenly but now my hang up is stocking the large tubs with food.
keep me posted on your trials and ill do the same 
good luck  

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:56 AM
Ok, thanks.  Hmmm...I'm not sure what I have been wrong.  I was working with them last fall quite a few batches using a fish bowl "kriesel" and could not get them past 12 dph I think it was.  I tried a couple batches fed a co-culture of NHBBS and L-type rotifers.  The longest living shrimp larvae were fed only NHBBS.  The population of BBS would always increase and age as the larvae never ate them all.  I was never able to figure out a good way to flush uneaten BBS out of the system.  I think I have figured this out now, and will try it on future batches.

I haven't collected a batch in a couple months at least (they weren't breeding in a high nitrate system they were in), but I did collect a batch on Dec 26th and just put them in one of my rotifer cultures (which actually happened to be in a BRT at the time), added some decapped brine eggs.  They didn't last 24 hours.  I was too busy to deal with them properly.

I talked with Andy Rhyne awhile back and got some ideas from him on flushing out uneaten BBS.  When I get this set up I will share in my breeding journal.  Hopefully working together we can get these guys nailed down. 

r33fking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Monday, January 23, 2012 12:02 PM
Quote Originally Posted by EasterEggs

Ok, thanks.  Hmmm...I'm not sure what I have been wrong.  I was working with them last fall quite a few batches using a fish bowl "kriesel" and could not get them past 12 dph I think it was.  I tried a couple batches fed a co-culture of NHBBS and L-type rotifers.  The longest living shrimp larvae were fed only NHBBS.  The population of BBS would always increase and age as the larvae never ate them all.  I was never able to figure out a good way to flush uneaten BBS out of the system.  I think I have figured this out now, and will try it on future batches.

I haven't collected a batch in a couple months at least (they weren't breeding in a high nitrate system they were in), but I did collect a batch on Dec 26th and just put them in one of my rotifer cultures (which actually happened to be in a BRT at the time), added some decapped brine eggs.  They didn't last 24 hours.  I was too busy to deal with them properly.

I talked with Andy Rhyne awhile back and got some ideas from him on flushing out uneaten BBS.  When I get this set up I will share in my breeding journal.  Hopefully working together we can get these guys nailed down. 

are you decapsulating your artemia before hatch? 

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:09 AM
Yes, I do.  I set the Artemia hatcher in the same tank that I have the larvae tank set in where there is a heater that keeps both the Artemia and the larvae at about 81F.  Add a strong light to the Artemia and they will hatch in 6 hours if they are decapped.