Culture Journal, Species: Nannochloripsis

patent
  • Total Posts : 67
  • Reward points : 843
Culture Journal, Species: Nannochloripsis - Friday, December 16, 2011 1:30 AM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Nannochloripsis
Species description:  Micro Algae
Culture source (link if possible):  http://florida-aqua-farms.com
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  November 2, 2011
Continuation Date: 4/12/2012

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.020
Temperature:  Ambient ~72 
pH:  8.0

Vessel description:  7 2 liter bottles.
Lighting description:  2 fluorescent 4' tubes mounted horizontally
Lighting cycle:  16 hours on, 8 off.
Aeration description:  Firm bubbling with stiff tube.  Not terribly fast, but not a trickle.

Methodologies
Split methodology:  When its really, really green (While I do track how old a culture is, I usually just take the darkest culture that day), I take 1/3 and pour into Rots or 1/3 into rots and 1/3 into greenwater in evening.  If still have 2/3 left, pour other 1/3 into rotifers in morning, refill with culture medium, and replace.  Periodically change out 2 liter bottles.
Culture medium description: 
Saltwater with IO salt at 1.020 salinity, add 2 ml of Florida Aqua Farm micro algae grow fertilizer (liquid) to one gallon prep culture.

Cell count:  unknown.  Do measure with FAF secchi disk, measures to 61.4 million/ml, but no way to calibrate device to be sure its accurate.

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by patent on Sunday, May 20, 2012 7:58 PM>

patent
Re:Culture Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Friday, December 16, 2011 1:31 AM
Pic for posterity, so I can remember this fondly when I crash it.

P1010173 by patentfish, on Flickr

patent
Re:Culture Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Friday, April 13, 2012 12:03 AM
Continuation update, still going, though this one has been finicky at times.  Was down to 2 bottles of healthy phyto at one point.  Back up for now, we'll see how it goes. 

phyto continuation.jpg by patentfish, on Flickr

patent
Re:Culture Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:35 PM
At the one year point, and the culture is still going.  As long as I pay attention to it every 3 days or so, it seems pretty hardy and easy.  If a bottle stops getting more green, I pull it and either use it for the split or use it to feed (larvae or rots).  Sometimes I have a culture that doesn't get very as green as I like, but most of them get fairly dark (like the 3rd and fourth bottles from left on pic in post above)  

I still record the date each culture starts on, but I go much more on visual assessment of the darkness now.  If a culture is a week old or older, and not very dark I consider it a fail and pull it to replace with a split from a better culture.  Most times in 3 days they start to darken appreciably.  I usually pull 2 bottles each time I harvest, one for forming two new bottles in a split, and one to feed.  I make the split with the top 80% of the culture, and pour the last 20% into the rots as it contains more "particles" (or clumps) and I want to start with as high a percentage of freely floating nanno as possible.

patent
Re:Culture Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Sunday, July 21, 2013 2:13 AM
Closing this one down.  I really, really like having live phyto around, but I've started a 2nd rotifer culture and two Tisbe cultures and this can't keep up, so I'm using alot of paste anyway.  I knew this day would come eventually - its just not worth the time as everything I'm doing works fine with paste.

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Reward points : 1486
Re:Culture Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Sunday, July 21, 2013 2:44 AM
It was a good run!

patent
Re:Culture Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:05 AM
Thanks!  It was a good run, and I really enjoyed it.  In contrast to the rotifers I could always see the success as the nanno culture turned green.    That said, it was probably way to easy.  I felt like I was gardening and claiming success when dandelions sprouted up.  ;-)

Tomngangan
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points : 46
Re:Culture Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:42 AM
good that you kept it going for all that time.. i seems to have some problems from time to time with nanos when they would just crash on me after a spilt (also from FAF).. not too sure exactly why that happens but since im having a better success with TET at the moment.. i have backed out on nano and see how it goes... maybe order something from FAF again later while im at it (shipping to HK isnt exactly cheap T.T)

but good job!!! any success is a success ^^ marine Chlorella is pretty easy too ^^ but not as easy as paste ofc haha