Breeding Journal, Species: Hymenocera elegans (Harlequin shrimp)

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Reward points : 446
Breeding Journal, Species: Hymenocera elegans - Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:54 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Hymenocera elegans
Social Structure:  PAIR
Size of Individuals: APPROX 2" LONG
Age of Individuals:  UNKNOWN
Date added to Tank:  08/10/2011

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  180
Substrate Details: DSB fine, Live Rock
Filtration Details:  Sump and Refugium
Water Changes:  20% per month
Water Temperature:  80F
Lighting:  two 6 bulb T5HO fixtures
Lighting Cycle:  12 hours per day 10:30AM to 10:30PM
Other Tank Inhabitants:  Yellow Tang, Lavender Tang, Powder Blue Tang, pair of A. ocellaris, trio of yellow tailed damsels, a few blue legged hermits and one Porcelian crab

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Rod's Food, DIY mix, PE Mysis, asterina starfish, chocolate chip starfish. 
Feeding Schedule:  once daily

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  Est. 12/03/2011,
Spawn Time of Day:  during daylight
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  12/14/2011 
Courtship Details: 
Pre-Spawn Behavior: the pair is always side by side. Female does hide most of the time under a conch shell.  The female molts and is then ready to produce eggs. The male will guard her during this time.
Spawning Behavior: Not seen, but the male will turn himself upside down and position himself under the female and release sperm. She will then hold onto the eggs for approx 2-4 weeks. With the temperature I run it would be closer to the 2 week period.
Post Spawn Behavior: I've now noticed that the male will be shunned to the opposite side of the tank soon after spawning. He does venture back to the female after a few days though.
Egg Size:  1.0-1.5mm 
Egg Color:  orange
Egg Count: not witnessed (over 50, which was the amount of larvae that was caught) 

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  12/11/2011
Hatch Time of Day:  evening/night
# Days after Spawn:  unknown
Larvae Description:  large body with a tail curled back behind. tan in color.

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  80F
Size of Larval Tank: 1 gallon round Kreisel action
Substrate Details:  Bare
Other Tank Decor:  None
Filtration Details:  None
Lighting:  none for 3 days, Ambient afterwards
Lighting Cycle:  10:00am - 10:00pm
Water Changes:  25% daily

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  Freshly hatched brine shrimp. Rotifers
Feeding Schedule:  Continuous

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:  unknown
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

Lost them at day 4. going to try a few things different this next time. Had the larvae definitely ID'd as Harlequin larvae.

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by rgrking on Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:31 PM>
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

rgrking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Hymenocera elegans - Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:56 PM

RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

rgrking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Hymenocera elegans - Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:17 PM
the parents

RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

rgrking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Hymenocera elegans - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:23 PM
Caught them releasing the larvae tonight. I grabbed a video. It's not clear, but you can make it out. Uploading to youtube now.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

rgrking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Hymenocera elegans - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:31 PM

RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

rgrking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Hymenocera elegans - Friday, December 30, 2011 9:26 PM

RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

rgrking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Hymenocera elegans - Saturday, January 21, 2012 7:54 PM
to keep them happy you have to feed them

I cut off an arm and fed it, well one of them grabbed it and took off towards their shell and the other just kinda sat there, so I fed the rest of it to the tank.

Here's one of them making off with the leg I cut

the rest of the star

RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

rgrking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Hymenocera elegans - Wednesday, April 4, 2012 10:14 AM
So I had someone give me some shells and dried starfish. I put the largest star in my tank, after I had sterilized it. The next day just the legs were left, that evening those were gone too. The harlequins had found it, dragged it to their home and chowed down.

Anyone else ever had this happen?

I wonder how healthy it is compared to the live stars.

Anyone really know what they get out of live or dead stars that's their main food source?
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

rgrking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Hymenocera elegans - Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:41 AM
bump? Wondering if anyone knows nutritional value of the dried vs live stars.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Zooid
  • Total Posts : 182
  • Reward points : 282
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Hymenocera elegans - Monday, April 23, 2012 4:00 AM
I don't know, but that is definitely interesting.
I thought the harlequins ate the tube feet of the stars.  Do they eat the whole leg?

rgrking
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Hymenocera elegans - Wednesday, May 9, 2012 10:45 AM
trying to get pics under her tail. I had to cheat and feed them. Still was hard getting a shot.

If you notice any eggs that would be great. I'll keep taking pics when I can.

RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef