Clown Fry Deaths

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Scores: 22
  • Reward points : 446
Clown Fry Deaths - Monday, January 2, 2012 8:52 AM
So the last two batches of my clowns have all died within a few days of hatching. I'm thinking it's one or a combination of a few things.

I use a blue LED to attract or just find the larvae, then I scoop them using a brine shrimp net. When I pull them, I have to invert the net, and shake them off into the baby tank.  I have a larvae collector from Chad Vossen on the way soon.

I'm using a 5 gallon tank with a bubble wand curved around the bottom. I'm using a heater that keeps the temps right at 80F.

On the first night I add live nanno to the fry tank.

The next day I add rotifers. I don't have a way to measure them, but I run a couple of quarts of the water through my 53um screen and then backflow that into the fry tank.

Here's what I'm thinking.

I know that air bubbles can damage the larvae. I've read about a method where there's four rigid airlines ran into each corner of the tank, but it's covered in a 200 micron cloth to make the bubbles fine. It will still add a ton of air flow for the tank and the damage from air bubbles will be minimal.

I'll have to fill the tank about half way up though.

Also the fry have been settling onto the bottom of the tank after the first night or two. This is a bad thing. I'm going to add a 15 watt light above the tank, but it's still going to be covered with a white cloth on the top and dark on the sides. That way seeing the food isn't going to be a problem.

I'm going to use rotifers for day 1-7 and small amounts up to 30 days
live artimia on day 5-15
crushed flake food and cyclopese day 3-20

I'm also going to be ordering Selcon to add to some of the feed for both the fry and parents.

Any help on this would be appreciated!
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

seaweed88
  • Total Posts : 103
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 510
Re:Clown Fry Deaths - Monday, January 2, 2012 10:25 AM
Are these the first two clutches of eggs which you have had hatched?

rgrking
Re:Clown Fry Deaths - Monday, January 2, 2012 10:27 AM
oh no, They have been producing for about two years.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

seaweed88
  • Total Posts : 103
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 510
Re:Clown Fry Deaths - Monday, January 2, 2012 11:21 AM
And you have just started having problems?

rgrking
Re:Clown Fry Deaths - Monday, January 2, 2012 12:28 PM
yeah, the last two have been an issue. The parents food has stayed the same, as well as all the levels in the tank.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Scores: 13
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:Clown Fry Deaths - Monday, January 2, 2012 1:29 PM
I have some suggestions.  The following is what I would do, but there are many ways to do this.  Your way is not working, but my way may not work for you either, just a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by rgrking

So the last two batches of my clowns have all died within a few days of hatching. I'm thinking it's one or a combination of a few things.

I use a blue LED to attract or just find the larvae, then I scoop them using a brine shrimp net. When I pull them, I have to invert the net, and shake them off into the baby tank.  I have a larvae collector from Chad Vossen on the way soon.

Use Chad's snagger instead.  Nets can damage the larvae. People who don't have a snagger and can't remove the eggs, use a siphon or a cup, but not a net.

Quote Originally Posted by
I'm using a 5 gallon tank with a bubble wand curved around the bottom. I'm using a heater that keeps the temps right at 80F.

On the first night I add live nanno to the fry tank.

The next day I add rotifers. I don't have a way to measure them, but I run a couple of quarts of the water through my 53um screen and then backflow that into the fry tank.

I would use a 10 gallon tank, 5 gallons of water, with a single airstone under the heater along a wall.  This will circulate the water and heat well with minimal flow.  A lot of air is not necessary. There is no need to add live nanno when you have yet to add live rotifers. You can add them immediately, and leave the light on overnight, and that will give the larvae a head start in learning to hunt and eat.

Quote Originally Posted by
Here's what I'm thinking.

I know that air bubbles can damage the larvae. I've read about a method where there's four rigid airlines ran into each corner of the tank, but it's covered in a 200 micron cloth to make the bubbles fine. It will still add a ton of air flow for the tank and the damage from air bubbles will be minimal.
I would not bother with that. So much air is not needed and one airstone is enough.

I'll have to fill the tank about half way up though.

Also the fry have been settling onto the bottom of the tank after the first night or two. This is a bad thing. I'm going to add a 15 watt light above the tank, but it's still going to be covered with a white cloth on the top and dark on the sides. That way seeing the food isn't going to be a problem.

I'm going to use rotifers for day 1-7 and small amounts up to 30 days
live artimia on day 5-15
crushed flake food and cyclopese day 3-20

I'm also going to be ordering Selcon to add to some of the feed for both the fry and parents.

Any help on this would be appreciated!

One reason that larvae die after a couple of days is if the parents are not well fed.  Start feeding them at least twice a day with some high quality food like Ocean Nutrition Formula One frozen food, at least a week before the next spawn, and then forevermore. 
Have you read Joyce Wilkerson's Clownfishes book? It is remarkably informative.
I hope these tips help.
Kathy

CableGuy
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Scores: 7
  • Reward points : 731
Re:Clown Fry Deaths - Monday, January 2, 2012 1:33 PM
Two things that came to mind, but Kathy already covered them.

1. Dont use a net!
2. Could be the quality of feed you are giving to the parents.
-Adam

rgrking
Re:Clown Fry Deaths - Monday, January 2, 2012 1:54 PM
I sure hope the food isn't the issue. However, parts of it might be. I use Rod's Herb blend...almost out. have breeders blend in the freezer. A DIY mix that has crab clam shrimp nori etc in it. and san fran bay mysis and omnivore mix.

I'll try those things you suggested Kathy. Thanks!

RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Barelycuda
  • Total Posts : 186
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 829
Re:Clown Fry Deaths - Monday, January 2, 2012 7:33 PM
Couple of thoughts also. 

The herbavore blend is probably not rich enough for the broodstock diet.

I agree with Kathy on the phyto and rotifers.  Add them immediately and leave the light on 24/7.

I personally think that the rotifers after meta is a waste of time.  The larva expend more energy chasing them than actually received from eating them.

Also crushed food and cyclopeeze beginning at day three is a little early IMO.  Just going to foul the water.

rgrking
Re:Clown Fry Deaths - Monday, January 2, 2012 7:38 PM
I have the breeders blend ready. I also ordered some Selcon today. I'll start using it more for my clowns. Now to get my nem and clown pair out of my DT and into a breeding tank. I hate to move them cause of how happy they are and how they breed every couple of weeks.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef