how to trick ocellaris larvae into hatching early ?

r33fking
  • Total Posts : 112
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 316
how to trick ocellaris larvae into hatching early ? - Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:39 PM
well i had a record keeping error last night  and  pulled a nest a day early and artificially incubated
checked on them this AM
no larvae had hatched .
i went ahead and turned the light on over the BRT for a couple hours to try to simulate a day cycle and then blacked out the BRT again .
after an hour i peeked in and saw 2 larvae so i closed it up and checked another hour later and 2 more popped up .
how likely is it that when i go back to my fish room tonight i will have a nice hatch ?
it has been blacked out for  about 4 hours since my last peek . how aware are larvae of day length while still in the eggs ?
has any of you had success righting a screw up like this ?
please share any of your  experiences concerning salvaging a good hatch rate out of an early pull or delayed hatch 

Scottt
  • Total Posts : 113
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 341
Re:how to trick ocellaris larvae into hatching early ? - Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:43 PM
If you pull one a day early again, just do a normal light cycle (14on/10 off for us).  Then they will hatch the next night.  Just make sure the bubbles are hitting all the eggs.

I think you'll get a good hatch though.  If they don't hatch tonight, green it up and add rotifers and light like usual tomorrow.  Leave the pot/tile in, and then they should hatch tomorrow night.

We commonly pull eggs 3 days early with 100% hatch rates.

r33fking
Re:how to trick ocellaris larvae into hatching early ? - Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:57 PM
i have been having good luck with this pair pulling the night of hatch ( day 7) @ 82f  
i do sterilize the BRT and methylene blue dip the nest so im not to worried about fungus/bacteria . 
before i started sterilizing i was having alot of trouble getting good hatch rates even on the night of hatch . 
thats great info scott and good to know i have a few day cushion  .
the problem this time is i am un able to get to my fishroom tomorrow morning before work so i have to get these guys set up tonight . 
have you seen any problems arise after breaking the dark cycle by checking to see if the larvae had hatched with a dim light ? 
a few batches ago i had a terrible hatch after looking for hatched larvae a few hours after black out and not waiting till the next morning . at that time i had some other issues going on also so the light pollution may not have been the culprit . but i am still chicken about it

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:how to trick ocellaris larvae into hatching early ? - Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:03 PM
When you're checking to see if the eggs have hatched don't shine the light on the eggs. Shine a focused beam into the tank away from the tiles and any larvae will be attracted to the light. I've found if you keep shining a light on the unhatched eggs it will delay the hatch.

In your case I would do as Scott said, green the water tonight and add rotifers so if they hatch tonight they will have food in the morning. Make sure there is adequate airflow in the hatch tank.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

r33fking
Re:how to trick ocellaris larvae into hatching early ? - Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:02 AM
thats what i ended up doing .
i usually do not rely on the lighting cycle on my broodstock system to light my BRTs . 
i use a clamp lamp or an led strip on each BRT because i get  alot of light pollution from our coral race ways and it makes it hard to get it dark enough for hatching .
also i have been keeping the clown larvae on a 24 hour on light cycle so i dont have a timer for the BRT lamps . 
i appreciate the info guys and i guess i have learned that clown larvae are a little hard to trick 
i get so used to playing god with these guys i forget sometimes that i cant control everything 
we'll see what happens tomorrow