Harlequin Shrimp larvae

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 1293
Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Monday, January 16, 2012 5:33 PM
So the pair thats been sitting in one of the tanks at work for a month or so finally spawned (right as they got sold lol!).  Here is a quick video of them. They are three days old (give or take) at the moment.  Currently in a BRT with rotifers and phyto, I'll be adding some tonsa and parvo in there tomorrow for them.  Roughly 1000 or so.  

Video:

https://picasaweb.google.com/114727349508992302489/January15201202#5698057738999438658

Cheers

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Scores: 22
  • Reward points : 446
Re:Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Monday, January 16, 2012 5:58 PM
you should add BBS to the tank. I'll post up a menu for their foods when I get home that I got from Dr Kraul. 
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Monday, January 16, 2012 6:01 PM
COMMERCIAL CULTURE OF THE HARLEQUIN SHRIMP Hymenocera picta AND OTHER ORNAMENTAL MARINE SHRIMPS

Syd Kraul
Pacific Planktonics
73-998 Ahikawa St.
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740-9407 USA
kraul@konacoast.net

Harlequin shrimp are fairly rare in Hawaii and therefore fetch a good price ($7-10 each) to the diver or aquaculturist. After shipping, retail price can be as much as $50 or more per shrimp. Limits to commercial production are primarily market demand. With over 1,000 shrimp in stock, our distributor could only sell more than 100 shrimp per month, primarily in Asia. This market might be expanded to other areas, but it doesnt seem likely that this single species would support a business. There are also rumors that mass quantities of similar shrimp are available from Central America and Africa at greatly reduced prices.

Adult Harlequin Shrimp are long lived and docile, and spawn every 3 weeks at 25 degrees Celsius. Females produce 200-5,000 eggs per spawn, attaching them to their pleopods (abdominal plates) for incubation. The eggs, about 0.8 by 0.6mm, are red when first deposited. A few days before the female molts, the previous batch of eggs hatches out to begin the planktonic larval phase. Newly hatched larvae are 0.64mm wide and O.43mm high at the cephalothorax (head and chest), and 1.4mm long, in their naturally flexed posture (2.3mm stretched out straight). The first few days, these zoeae have close-set eyes, and do not require food. After the first larval molt, their eyes protrude on stalks, and they begin feeding on plankton. We provide them with rotifers, copepods, brine shrimp, and phytoplankton throughout their larval life. Rearing success is greatly improved when copepods are included in the larval diet, as is the case for all marine larvae we have raised. These larvae have relatively stringent water quality requirements, and are more difficult to raise than small damselfishes.

After 4-8 weeks, larvae are about 3mm long and 2mm wide, and have branched pleopods, indicating that they have reached their final (mysid) larval stage. They are now ready to settle out of the plankton, and metamorphose into benthic shrimp. The benthic transition appears to be an important determinant of final survival. Healthy batches of larvae will all survive and grow to adults. Unhealthy batches may metamorphose and begin feeding, but suffer heavy losses within a week or two. Although artificial feeds might improve the marketability of Harlequin shrimp, the only feed that has worked for us is live sea stars, preferably Linckia spp. Harlequin shrimp were once proposed as “saviors of the reef” because they are able to eat the reef destroying Crown of Thorns starfish. In Kona, Crown-of-Thorns are the most readily available stars, so they are our primary feed.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Arc Katana
Re:Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Monday, January 16, 2012 6:42 PM
I'm skipping the baby brine shrimp and adding A. tonsa and Parvo copepods - they don't eat brine in the wild, so I'm not to worried about that  And according to your post, they don't require food the first couple of days either, so adding pods tomorrow (while they snack on rots now) shouldn't be an issue eh?

Thanks for the link!

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Monday, January 16, 2012 7:35 PM
np just hope you get them. There hasn't been many do it. Good luck!!!
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:28 AM
Cool! Good luck!

Arc Katana
Re:Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:48 AM
Day four, still kicking!  Stopping by Algagen today for a couple types of pods.  I'm sticking with an every other day water change (1-2 gallons) to suck out some crap on the bottom, then replace it with a slow drip of fresh artifical seawater over the course of a couple hours.  (I also slow drip 1-2 quarts of fresh water for evap).

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:54 AM
Awesome!!!!

I only got to day 7. These are some tough cookies. I sure hope you get them all the way!
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Arc Katana
Re:Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Wednesday, January 18, 2012 12:51 PM
Day Five - quite a few less - probably about 1/3rd left - so roughly 200-300 ish.   I've wanted to try something out, so I've been adding frozen baby brine from Hikari  to the rotifers.  Just did a decent (20-25%) water change to get the gunk out of the bottom.   

I've got some pods in there from a few wild zooplankton tows, so for all I know I've been feeding the zooplankton the babies lol! 

Anyway hoping for day 10, I have noticed that the ones that are left are getting bigger, they look about double the size at the moment.

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Wednesday, January 18, 2012 12:52 PM
sounds good!
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

CableGuy
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Scores: 7
  • Reward points : 731
Re:Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:17 PM
Awesome!
-Adam

Chelle's Ocean
  • Total Posts : 399
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 242
Re:Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:32 PM
Following - very cool...... Good Luck!
Michelle  

Arc Katana
Re:Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:22 PM
Day six - huge mortality last night.  I'm guessing the rotifers/baby brine and/or wild zooplankton was probably to little to late.  I'm around 10 or so left, judging from a quick scan with a flashlight from the top down.  Hindsight being 20/20 I'd have made up a new BRT for them, adjusted flow for a circular pattern and made sure I had some decent gravel/sand with bacteria on it to help with ammonia/waste.  

I'm pretty much just culturing rots in there now (and a really cool pod of some kind, low numbers but spasms in the water really neat when it moves!).  I'll keep up with every other day gallon or so water changes for the culture (and besides I'll need some place else for more babies eventually) of food.

Like they say, experience is the best teacher!

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:28 PM
Well that sucks. Hey, even 1 making it is a huge success with them!
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Arc Katana
Re:Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Friday, January 20, 2012 8:09 AM
Day seven!  I've got a handful left.  There seems to be at least 3-4 kicking around and they have gotten pretty large already.  I'm no longer feeding the shrimp, just letting whats left eat rots and the copepods that are in there.  I am still dosing/feeding the rots/pods with nanno and T-iso each day, for nothing less than to keep another culture going.

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Friday, January 20, 2012 8:13 AM
woo hoo!!!!!
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Arc Katana
Re:Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:08 AM
Day 8 - looks like there is one left from a quick 30 second glance.  There may very well be a couple more floating around, but at this point I'm more interested in the copepods in the BRT than the shrimp, as their population has exploded these past couple days.    

I'll have to wait for about another month or so for more eggs, but from doing this the half arsed approach I know where I can improve on. 

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:21 AM
She should have eggs about every 20 days. You might not have to wait that long.
Sorry about the losses, but you got them pretty far.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:16 PM
is that last one still hanging on?
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Arc Katana
Re:Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:23 AM
I honestly haven't been checking - just kind of resigned myself that day 8 was the limit.  I've been more concerned about keeping the rots and pods alive in there more than anything!  Having said that I do have something in there... it is pretty quick on skirting the light... Can honestly say I that I'd wager it is not a harlie, more likely just a bigger type of copepod.

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:45 AM
dangit! I was hoping for the best
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Arc Katana
Re:Harlequin Shrimp larvae - Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:51 AM
Thanks, but I was just hoping for 10 days (even the enormous task that is!).  I've talked with the person who bought the pair, they're offering the babies up for growing, so I'll have another shot down the road (and be more prepared for it!).

Cheers!