breeding journals

Mdoty
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Scores: 1
  • Reward points : 1044
breeding journals - Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:22 AM
Im looking for some advice on breeding journals, and its not exactly straight forward. I want to use my latest batch of maroon eggs/ hatch for my hatch report. I didn't collect this batch because I have a set of babies going from my first spawn. I don't want to use my first spawn as the hatch because I don't know the day they were laid therefor I don't have a spawn to hatch period. So my issue is this... If I use this batch for my hatch report I won't have numbers for the tank details because there is none for this batch. To make things more complicated I would like to use my first batch for further reports as the babies are now right at settlement. Can I use different batches for reports as long as I have up to date pictures and info? Thoughts? 

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Scores: 14
  • Reward points : 1486
Re:breeding journals - Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:36 AM
Yes, you can use different batches of eggs/larvae/fry for the spawn, hatch, settlement, and 60DPS reports, and still get credit for each report, and for the species as a whole.  I have done so, and so have others.  There is no problem with this.

Mdoty
Re:breeding journals - Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:39 AM
cool thanks, how about leaving the tank info blank or would I use the brood stock tank info for the tank info part of the report as that is were the eggs hatched?

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:breeding journals - Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:43 AM
Just be sure that all information is in both your journal and report and that the information matches.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

Mdoty
Re:breeding journals - Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:52 AM
Thanks for the help guys I do really appreciate it. Here is what I'm wondering, in the second half of the hatch report is a section labeled tank parameters. I didn't catch the babies from the hatch that I want to use for my report. I turned off the pumps and filter so I could see them but didn't catch any. So in the tank parameters section should I use the info for my brood stock tank since I don't have a larval tank, and the brood stock tank is where the eggs hatched?

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Scores: 14
  • Reward points : 1486
Re:breeding journals - Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:53 AM
Yes.

EDIT:  But, did you get any pictures of the hatched fry?  You will need that to document the hatch.  Otherwise, you will need to use a different hatch, where you DID get pictures of the fry, for your Hatch report.

Mdoty
Re:breeding journals - Sunday, January 22, 2012 12:08 PM
Yes I got pics and video before turning things back on! Thanks for the help!