My next step in clown breeding?

BriGuy31+
  • Total Posts : 194
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 499
My next step in clown breeding? - Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:54 PM
Alright, I have been tossing around ideas of my next broodstock selection. I am debating what to get. I have a few ideas of other breeds but I wanted to add another pair of clowns.....maybe even two pairs. I will say that I'm not into the whole hybrid thing or the typical breeds that everybody seems to do(no offense!!). I want to explore some breeds that aren't very popular but still possible for my skill level and also might catch a decent wholesale value. Resale price is not extremely important because I would hope make them more affordable to others if I have success. I would just like to break even sometime on them. I have only breed A. percula (picasso and platinum) so far. They are my "bread and butter" that allow me to try different breeds. Here are the two that I am thinking:
-Amphiprion latezonatus
-Amphiprion mccullochi
I feel that these two fit the bill pretty well. They don't have a huge track record for breeding success and that is a fairly interesting draw for myself. Any help on normal conditions(temp.) and links to other breeders logs would be much appreciated. I have only found one journal for Latz on another site. My biggest initial challenge is setting up a proper size tank and dealing with the proper temp while linked into my broodstock system. Thanks for comments, suggestions, questions.......which one would be "easier"?
Sorry if this has been discussed in a popular magazine....I don't subscribe to any. Just joking Matt.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:My next step in clown breeding? - Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:59 PM
Not to discourage you at all but Kevin Kohen from Diver's Den has worked with the McC's and said they are just plain mean fish from the beginning.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

mhowe9
  • Total Posts : 924
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 2479
Re:My next step in clown breeding? - Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:08 PM
+1 on the Mccullochi ... extremely agressive and really not much market.  Would only be able to get broodstock from ORA and Live Aquaria since they are not collected anywhere.

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Scores: 22
  • Reward points : 446
Re:My next step in clown breeding? - Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:21 PM
those sounds like beautiful choices. I agree with the rest. I don't have first hand knowledge, but what I've read sound very similar to what they are saying. Latz would be a great choice. What about some saddlebacks?
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

BriGuy31+
Re:My next step in clown breeding? - Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:53 PM
Mmm, maybe the McCullochi could be a good choice for a more aggressive tank. We'll see. I'm just looking into getting a pair and if it works out them I'll give them a go just for fun. I might need waterproof leather gloves though....lol. Saddlebacks are nice but they are somewhat close to the McCullochi. I understand both of these choices aren't that pretty but it's just for fun.

The Latz seem to be a better fit but getting a pair that are at least a year old might be difficult. Keeping my eyes open. Either way this will be a long term project because adult/spawning pairs of either will be way too much for me. Thanks for the feedback......keep it coming!

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:My next step in clown breeding? - Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:06 PM
Just to clarify on the McC's, the juveniles are mean to each other soon after settlement, not just as adults. I can't use the exact words Kevin used to describe them here.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

BriGuy31+
Re:My next step in clown breeding? - Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:24 AM
Lol......thanks for the heads up. I will think about getting a Rubbermaid tank and make a bunch of dividers to separate them, a few in each section. What do you guys think about that idea? Either that or the one biggest, badest fish will be my one 60 dps..... J/J.

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:My next step in clown breeding? - Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:35 AM
I think you would be better off with the Saddlebacks, plus Saddlebacks have a better market than McCulloch's.  I would love a pair of Saddles for my reef display (not for breeding) except for the fact that there is a RBTA in there which they would just ignore. 

I'm not sure if there is much market for Latz either...not many people willing to keep their tank that cool.  I like them, but they wouldn't like the 84F temps that my reef gets to.

mhowe9
Re:My next step in clown breeding? - Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:54 AM
You can condition the CB latz to the higher temperatures.  Saddlebacks are cool but kind of skittish from my experience.

BriGuy31+
Re:My next step in clown breeding? - Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:02 AM
I keep my breeding rack at 79-80. Will that be acceptable for Latz?

EasterEggs
Re:My next step in clown breeding? - Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:43 AM
Quote Originally Posted by mhowe9
You can condition the CB latz to the higher temperatures.

Would higher temps not cause issues long-term?

mhowe9
Re:My next step in clown breeding? - Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:51 AM
I don't know the answer for that long term.  But the CB Latz that Karen Brittian has raised with full bars were raised at normal aquarium temps, so I wouldn't see any long term issues. 

EasterEggs
Re:My next step in clown breeding? - Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:37 AM
^  Hmm, interesting! 

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Reward points : 1293
Re:My next step in clown breeding? - Thursday, January 26, 2012 2:40 PM
Decent size market for the various Blennies and Gobies for the nano crowd... just sayin

BriGuy31+
Re:My next step in clown breeding? - Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:09 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Arc Katana

Decent size market for the various Blennies and Gobies for the nano crowd... just sayin

Yes, I am also thinking of adding the Yasha goby(Stonogobiops yasha), Green Mandarin (Synchiropus splendidus), and/or the Blue Dot Jawfish (Opistognathus rosenblatti).

What other gobies or nano fish would you suggest? Maybe Swissguard Basslet (Liopropoma rubre) or Dracula Goby (Stonogobiops dracula)?

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Reward points : 1293
Re:My next step in clown breeding? - Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:19 PM
You could try swissguards, just be prepared for a looooong time before you'll be able to get one to meta! 

I'd honestly just pick one goby or blenny that you like and go with it - sure you'll make more per fish from a dracula goby, but that market is pretty thin... not to many folks willing to pay 100 bucks for a fish, while you'd probably be able to sell 100 tailspots/twin spot gobies at $10-$12 each (retail) over the course of a month or two (if you've got an outlet). 

Heck I'd even give the common red firefish a shot - every store I go to has em! 

EasterEggs
Re:My next step in clown breeding? - Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:59 PM
Is there much culture difference between Red and Purple Firefish?  The Purple catches 3x value.  Yellow Watchman Goby has a good market up here.  Black Cap Basslet?

BriGuy31+
Re:My next step in clown breeding? - Friday, January 27, 2012 12:21 PM
Looks like I am the proud new owner of a pair of CB full bar mated Latz. They are currently about 17 months old so I have a little time before they have the possibility of breeding for me. I will update with pictures once they are delivered next week.

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Scores: 22
  • Reward points : 446
Re:My next step in clown breeding? - Friday, January 27, 2012 12:39 PM
Awesome news!!!!! Congrats!
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

EasterEggs
Re:My next step in clown breeding? - Saturday, January 28, 2012 8:34 AM
Awesome!  Pics, pics, pics! 

rrcg50
  • Total Posts : 51
  • Reward points : 61
Re:My next step in clown breeding? - Monday, June 4, 2012 10:04 AM
Any update on them? They were my dream for sooo long. One day I'll get a pair for my own enjoyment

BriGuy31+
Re:My next step in clown breeding? - Monday, June 4, 2012 10:54 AM
I lost them one at a time. One swam down the stand-pipe and the other just died. Project is cancelled.