Breeding Journal, Species: Porkfish (Anisotremus virginicus)

hyperboy
  • Total Posts : 107
  • Reward points : 367
Breeding Journal, Species: Porkfish (Anisotremus virginicus) - Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:18 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Anisotremus virginicus
Social Structure:  5 adult fish
Size of Individuals:  approx. 8-12"
Age of Individuals:  unknown
Date added to Tank:  unknown

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  unknown
Substrate Details:  unknown
Filtration Details:  unknown
Water Changes:  unknown
Water Temperature:  unknown
Lighting:  unknown
Lighting Cycle:  unknown
Other Tank Inhabitants:  unknown

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  unknown
Feeding Schedule:  unknown

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  9-4-2011
Spawn Time of Day:  evening
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  I received another spawn on 3-11-12 that hatched on 3-12-12 (see pictures below).
Courtship Details:  unknown
Egg Size:  approx. 1mm
Egg Color:  clear
Egg Count:  thousands

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  9-5-2011
Hatch Time of Day:  evening
# Days after Spawn: approx. 24hrs
Larvae Description:  clear larvae, w/ yolk sack approx. 1-2mm in length

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  80 F
Size of Larval Tank: 100gal black oval tub, only filled to 75gal 
Substrate Details:  bare
Other Tank Decor:  none
Filtration Details:  none
Lighting:  overhead fluorescent
Lighting Cycle:  8am-10pm
Water Changes:  none for the first 7 days

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  Rotigreen Omega added on day 1 to tint the water, rotifers added on 2dph
Feeding Schedule:  constant

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:   9/29/2011
Days after Hatch:  25dph
Date of Settlement End:  10/5/2011
Description of Fry:  yellow heads, starting to see black stripes that run parallel along body

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:  80 F
Size of Grow-Out Tank:  100gal black oval tub, only filled to 75gal 
Substrate Details: none 
Other Tank Decor:  pvc pipe for shelter
Filtration Details:  Plumbed into system filtered with 25um sock, wet/dry, skimmer, and UV
Lighting:  overhead fluorescent
Lighting Cycle: 8am-10pm
Water Changes:  10% weekly
Size at Transfer:  same tank they were hatched in, water flow turned on at 20dph
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:  hikari mysis, NLS grow pellet, crushed flake
Feeding Schedule:  every four hours

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 
Eggs are being collected at SeaWorld of Orlando.  From what I've been told, an egg collector is added to the tank in the afternoon and checked the next morning for eggs.  Eggs are then driven to me in a white 5 gal bucket. 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by hyperboy on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:13 PM>

Jonathan Foster

FishEye Aquaculture

hyperboy
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Porkfish (Anisotremus virginicus) - Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:23 AM
Since FishEye Aquaculture is a commercial facility here in Florida, I was fortunate enough to be handed a Porkfish  (Anisotremus virginicus) rearing protocol from the University of Florida Tropical Aquaculture Lab.  This protocol was developed by Dr. Matthew Wittenrich and Eric Cassiano.  Might I add, that had it not been for their hard work, the following would not have happened.
SeaWorld of Orlando contacted me shortly after I received the protocol and asked if I would be interested in rearing some porkfish eggs that they were collecting from their main display tanks.  Of course, I was ecstatic to participate.  Since I do not own the broodstock, nor the tank/system they reside in, the information above is sparse, my apologies.
On Sunday, September, 4, Sea World delivered eggs to our facilities that were collected that morning from one of the many display aquariums at the park.  The eggs were brought to me in a standard 5gal bucket filled about half way.  At first, I didn’t even see the eggs.  But after close examination, thousands of eggs were observed!  After a careful drip acclimation, these eggs were added to a system set up for this project.   The eggs hatched that evening about an hour after the lights turned off.   On Monday (9-5-11) morning, thousands of little porkfish larvae were observed!
The morning after they hatched (1dph), I just barely tinted the water with RotiGreen Omega.   On the evening of 2dph I offered rotifers as a first feed.  Once rotifers were added, the feeding response was impressive…I knew I was going to go through A LOT of rotifers.  At 7dph, it was time for a water change.  Because of the large amount of larvae, siphoning was going to take too long (and I would be sitting at a bucket with a pipette for hours catching porkfish larvae that had been siphoned), I decided to put a 250um screen around the overflow and ran water into the system.  Unfortunately, I added the water at too high of a rate and lost a good number of larvae….notes taken for next time. 

Porkfish larvae 7dph (09-12-11)

At 10dph, I started adding artemia and also more rotifers.  By now the porkfish were very active hunters and clearing rotifer densities by afternoon and evening.  At 16dph, they were completely off rotifers and eating enriched artemia.  By this time, they were on a flow through and had constant filtration.  They were also hiding whenever one would look into the vat.  I began introducing Otohime A every four hours.  At 20dph, I was feeding them Otohime B1 and B2.

Porkfish larvae 15dph (09-20-11)

Metamorphisis started to take place at 25dph and all of them had gone through the transition at 31dph.  Aggression and cannibalism was also starting to become a serious issue.  I noticed the larvae that had not gone through meta yet were stuck on the overflow screen with their gut missing.  PVC pipe and fittings were added to the vat for shelter, this helped a lot.

Porkfish fry 30dph (10-04-11)

Porkfish juvenile  50dph (10-25-11)

Just as the protocol had stated, at 70dph the fry were now 1.5”-2” in length.  So I let Sea World know that their fish were ready to come home and go on display.  On 11/14/11, Sea World took delivery of their porkfish.

Porkfish juveniles 71dph (11-14-11) bagged up, ready to go to Sea World

Thanksgiving weekend, I took my family to Sea World.  In the “Shark Encounter” exhibit, there was a large tank set up with hundreds of juvenile porkfish.   Not only were the fish we reared in there, but also the fish that had been raised by Matt Wittenrich and Eric Cassiano at the University of Florida Tropical Aquaculture Lab.  It was really comforting to see all of those aquacultured porkfish, knowing that was several hundred fish that would take the place of fish not being removed from the reefs.
<message edited by hyperboy on Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:49 PM>

Jonathan Foster

FishEye Aquaculture

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Porkfish (Anisotremus virginicus) - Thursday, January 26, 2012 12:36 PM
Awesome!
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

hyperboy
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Porkfish (Anisotremus virginicus) - Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:19 PM
Thanks!  It really was a fun project!

Jonathan Foster

FishEye Aquaculture

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Porkfish (Anisotremus virginicus) - Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:38 PM
To have all that at your hands...priceless!  Well done! 

BriGuy31+
  • Total Posts : 194
  • Reward points : 499
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Porkfish (Anisotremus virginicus) - Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:02 PM
Congrats!Great work!!!

hyperboy
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Porkfish (Anisotremus virginicus) - Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:32 PM
A lot of credit should be given to The Rising Tide Program. They have made HUGE strides in a very short amount of time.

Jonathan Foster

FishEye Aquaculture

CableGuy
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Reward points : 731
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Porkfish (Anisotremus virginicus) - Monday, February 20, 2012 5:53 PM
This is awesome!  Glad you were able to raise these little guys!
-Adam

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Porkfish (Anisotremus virginicus) - Monday, February 20, 2012 6:53 PM
Quote Originally Posted by hyperboy
It was really comforting to see all of those aquacultured porkfish, knowing that was several hundred fish that would take the place of fish not being removed from the reefs.

How very rewarding.  I love your choice of word "comforting". 

hyperboy
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Porkfish (Anisotremus virginicus) - Monday, March 12, 2012 3:37 PM
We received a delivery of eggs this Sunday morning:

And this morning (Monday):

Jonathan Foster

FishEye Aquaculture