Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion latezonatus

BriGuy31+
  • Total Posts : 194
  • Reward points : 499
Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion latezonatus - Wednesday, February 8, 2012 7:17 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Amphiprion latezonatus
Social Structure:  mated pair
Size of Individuals:  Female: 3", male: 2"
Age of Individuals:  ~17 months
Date added to Tank:  2/1/2012

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  20g
Substrate Details:  20 lbs. CaribSea Indo-Pacific Black
Filtration Details: ~90g broodstock system. Reef Octopus 200 skimmer, 60lbs live rock
Water Changes:  bi-monthly 20%
Water Temperature: 78 F
Lighting:  Compact Fluorescent
Lighting Cycle:  12 on/ 12 off
Other Tank Inhabitants:  none

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Otohime TDO C2, frozen homemade mix, Spectra pellets, mysis shrimp
Feeding Schedule:  3-6 times per day. alternating above types

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 
Spawn Time of Day: 
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 
Courtship Details: 
Egg Size: 
Egg Color: 
Egg Count: 

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description: 

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

BriGuy31+
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion latezonatus - Wednesday, February 8, 2012 7:18 PM
Best pictures I could get while still giving them time to settle in. I'm hoping to have success this year.

BriGuy31+
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion latezonatus - Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:43 PM
Sad to say this project is now in limbo. I shut down my skimmer to clean it overnight. This morning I first noticed my male Royal gramma was looking odd. He was just lying close to the front of the tank which is never were I find him during my visual checks. Next I noticed my female Latz was dead. I am assuming the oxygen level dropped too much without my skimmer going. I never expected that! I turned my skimmer back on and my royal gramma pair slowly returned to normal, even eating today.

So the only loss was my 18 month old female Latz. I am either going to pick up another CB juvi Latz (and wait years) or sell the single male and scratch the project. I'm not making any decisions right now but I'll update this thread later.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion latezonatus - Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:50 PM
So sorry. I wouldn't think having the skimmer off overnight would cause the problem unless there was no flow into the tank. I've left my skimmer on my reef tank off for 3 weeks while on vacation in the past with no problems.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

BriGuy31+
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion latezonatus - Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:05 PM
Thanks Tal. I will admit that I kept the return pipes ~1" underwater to avoid splashing so maybe the lack of surface agitation also led to the decrease in oxygen. I have now cut them in order to allow the return flow to cause bubbles and surface agitation. Live and learn I suppose. I was very surprised by this acute issue. I never thought anything would happen........especially so quickly.