Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus plicatilis

NirvanaFan
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points : 52
Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus plicatilis - Saturday, February 11, 2012 3:11 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Brachionus plicatilis
Species description:  L strain Rotifer
Culture source (link if possible):  Bought as resting cysts from Florida Aqua Farms http://florida-aqua-farms...;product=LIVE_CULTURES
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  I've had the culture going on and off for over a year and a half. Let's call the establishment date 2/11/11 for ease
Continuation Date:  Still going. I split as needed

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.019 or so
Temperature:    room temperature of the basement, no heater
pH:  I have never tested

Vessel description:  I have cultured them in 5 gallon buckets and fish tanks (5 and 10 gallon)
Lighting description:  diffuse room lighting. Nothing special
Lighting cycle:  They are lit by the other lights in the room. 15 on, 9 off
Aeration description:  around 3 bubbles per second. Just enough to keep the top of the water moving a bit.

Methodologies
Split methodology: I split as necessary. Sometimes they will crash, but the cysts remain and they restart. I will take a 53 micron sieve and siphon rotifers into it as needed.

Culture medium description: 
1 day aged Instant ocean at (1.019). Water changes are done very rarely. Some water is changed when phyto is added. I will remove two cups of water, then add two cups of phytoplankton.

Cell count:
Unknown

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 
I've had the culture crash multiple times. Every time has been from me not feeding or not harvesting. The cysts remain viable, and I just add new water and phytoplankton to restart the culture. The clownfish babies love the rotifers.

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

NirvanaFan
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus plicatilis - Saturday, February 11, 2012 3:26 PM

NirvanaFan
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus plicatilis - Monday, February 20, 2012 8:00 PM

New photo added. This one is better