Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (yellow stripe)

AmandaCox
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points : 195
Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus (yellow stripe) - Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:54 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Premnas biaculeatus (yellow stripe)
Social Structure:  Pair
Size of Individuals:  ~5" female, ~3" male
Age of Individuals:  Unknown (The pair was moved to this particular 90 gallon tank in June 2011, but they have been together for a year prior in a separate tank.  Both fish were refugees from two separate people getting rid of their tanks.  We had the male first and then added the female - we were very surprised they took to each other as quickly as they did (lucky)!)
Date added to Tank:  June 2011

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  90 gallon (48" x 18" x 24")
Substrate Details:  Aragonite
Filtration Details:   30 gallon high sump, cheato, skimmer
Water Changes:  20% every couple weeks
Water Temperature:  78 degrees  
Lighting:  T5s - 48" 6 bulb fixture, using 2 ATI blues, 2 ATI purple plus, GE 5K, AquaBlue Special  Bulbs approx. 9 months old
Lighting Cycle:  8 hours on/16 off
Other Tank Inhabitants:  Lawnmower blenny, Carpet anemone, assorted LPS, soft coral, Clam, crabs, snails

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Rod's Original, PE Mysis
Feeding Schedule:  Once per day, usually around 6:00 pm

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  February 15, 2012
Spawn Time of Day:  Assuming at night, one day there were no eggs and the next day we saw them
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  April 4, 2012
Courtship Details:  Cleaning a spot on the tank bottom under their anemone
Egg Size:  ~3 mm
Egg Color:  Dark orange
Egg Count:  ~200

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  2/23/12
Hatch Time of Day:  throughout the day to 2/24/12
# Days after Spawn:  8
Larvae Description:  unknown - did not see them since the eggs were left in the tank

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by AmandaCox on Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:06 PM>

AmandaCox
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus - Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:59 PM
Here's a picture of the eggs and the male watching over them:

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus - Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:03 PM
Hey, I saw that pic on facebook earlier today. Congrats!
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

AmandaCox
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus - Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:17 PM
Thanks!  We're very excited and have been sharing
It's their first spawn!
Here's a video of the male taking care of the eggs (kind of!) and the female trying to block our view:

AmandaCox
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus - Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:59 PM
Here is a video from today, the eggs are darker now and I can see silver eyes.  I'm curious if they are going to hatch tonight.  I am not going to try and raise these, but plan to put some tiles down under the carpet anemone once these hatch.

AmandaCox
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus - Friday, February 24, 2012 10:46 AM
The eggs started to hatch yesterday, 2/23 throughout the day (8 days after spawn).    The carpet anemone was curled under, I'm curious if it got ahold of some of the larvae.  There are about 12 eggs left today that have not hatched yet.  I should clarify that the eggs are missing and I am assuming they hatched, I haven't seen any larvae emerge.
I am not attempting to raise these, but am excited to try when they spawn again!

AmandaCox
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus - Friday, February 24, 2012 8:18 PM
Here's a pic of them today:

AmandaCox
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus - Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:09 PM
They spawned again!  Of course this time it was on the back glass rather than the lovely tile I laid out for them at the base of their anemone.  I would like to try and catch them as they hatch - will have to do some research on success rates of such an operation!

AmandaCox
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus - Sunday, March 17, 2013 3:43 PM
This pair has been spawning on and off and took a 6 month break after their first three!  I need to add the dates to the first post.  Today, 3/17/13, I was actually able to get a video of them spawning around 3:00 pm.  How cool!!  Will post as soon as I can load it onto YouTube.

AmandaCox
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus - Monday, March 18, 2013 10:36 AM

<message edited by AmandaCox on Monday, March 18, 2013 4:35 PM>

Marinesciencemaniac
  • Total Posts : 81
  • Reward points : 134
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus - Monday, March 18, 2013 12:06 PM
Very cool, nice job with them!

AmandaCox
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Premnas biaculeatus - Monday, March 18, 2013 4:35 PM
fixed the video link