Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 40 of 112 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Saturday, February 18, 2012 9:57 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Lysmata boggessi
Social Structure:  first attempt: 5 hermaphroditic shrimps, one carrying eggs at purchase. third attempt: 5 shrimps, soon dwindled to 3 survivors. 
Size of Individuals:  just over an inch
Age of Individuals:  unknown , but they grew in size in my care.
Date added to Tank:  2/18/2012 , 4/22/2012 , 8/13/14

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:    8 gallons on a much larger system
Substrate Details:  bare , large PVC fitting for hiding places
Filtration Details: live rock, mechanical 100 um sock    
Water Changes:  bi-weekly, 10%
Water Temperature:  80   
Lighting:  undercabinet T5  fluorescent
Lighting Cycle:  14 day, 10 hours night
Other Tank Inhabitants:  none at this time

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Otohime C1, various flake foods , remnants of frozen mash feeding
Feeding Schedule:  2 times daily

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  came with eggs, then continuous spawning and hatching at every molt 
Spawn Time of Day:  likely at night
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  various and too hard to notate, as all three shrimp look similar and molt at various times
Courtship Details:  first time:molting event, eggs produced, but shrimp has a tenuous hold on them. This latest batch seem to hold on to the eggs quite well.
Egg Size:  approximately 0.33 mm oblongs  
Egg Color:  pale green , but orange while the shrimp are holding
Egg Count:  approx. 50. first batch. Now they seem much more abundant.  the shrimp seem to be bursting with eggs all the time.

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  One of many: Early hours of Dec 15, 2014 is documented in this report .Next one documented was 5/20/15 , meta report, 6/23/15
Hatch Time of Day:  at night.  did not witness
# Days after Spawn:  unknown
Larvae Description:  lots of appendages, big eyes, some pigmentation, seem like a miniature shrimp, about a mm or two long. Later, they develop spear legs and eyes on stalks.

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  75.3F
Size of Larval Tank:  2 gallon fishbowl
Substrate Details:  bare
Other Tank Decor:  none
Filtration Details:   none, rigid airline with slow bubbles     
Lighting:  ambient 18 watt CFL with reflector, clamp on , at ceiling
Lighting Cycle:  14 hours on, 10 hours off     
Water Changes:  small ones to replace water siphoned along with detritus at bottom, one big one the evening before metamorphosis began, mostly to remove grown brine shrimps and combat a little cyano.     

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: newly hatched brine shrimp. Some few P. crassirostris and euterpina added at the beginning, but not a lot
Feeding Schedule:  twice a day

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:  7/28/15 
Days after Hatch:  35
Date of Settlement End:  8/13/15
Description of Fry:  look like miniature shrimps without color, settled, eyes on body, not on stalks, disappearance of spear legs.

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:  75.3F
Size of Grow-Out Tank:  11 x 12 x 24 inches
Substrate Details:  none
Other Tank Decor:  breeder basket with Cryptocentrus cinctus
Filtration Details:  sponge filter
Lighting:  CFL 18 watt clamp light
Lighting Cycle:  14 hours day, 10 hours night
Water Changes:  10% every 2 weeks
Size at Transfer:  about 1/2 inch
Age at Transfer:  4 weeks after settlement

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:  NHBS, Otohime pellets, frozen arcti-pods
Feeding Schedule:  twice daily

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 
8/13/14: The first 19 posts in this thread refer to attempts years ago with this species.
9/26/15 is 60 days post settlement

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by KathyL on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 10:48 AM>

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Saturday, February 18, 2012 10:01 PM
I brought these home today, and aclimated them to my smaller system.  Consensus of opinion is that they are L. boggessi.

One of them has eggs:

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:58 AM
Welcome to the unofficial Peppermint shrimp team!  If you want to be.  Hehe. 

What are your ideas for using the 20 gallon for the larval shrimp?  Is this your first adventure into pelagic larvae?

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:14 PM
Thanks for the welcome.  I've constructed yet another snagger, I ran it in the shrimp tank last night.  No babies this morning, but one of the shrimp molted and died.  Fortunately, it was not the shrimp holding eggs.  I'll have to get some more shrimp.  Meanwhile we wait for the hatch….

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:51 PM
Sucks about the dead one. 

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:14 PM
Yes indeed it sucks...
 Somethink else that sucks:  I just realized that L. boggessi is a class B shrimp…..I need a class A something to move to the next level……I looked up wurdmanni, saw it was an A, and bought peppermints, not realizing that boggessi and wurdmanni are different classes……………………….I'm going to have to search for some L. wurdmanni.

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:58 AM
That's silly.  Now you mention it, I think someone else said something about that awhile back since essentially there should be no difference raising boggessi vs wurdemanni.  Maybe the subject needs to be raised again?  As far as I am concerned they ain't no Class A though! Hahaha!  Some people seem to breeze right through it though.

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:19 PM
Maybe that's why boggessi are class B. I wouldn't know.  Just did a survey of my local stores, and nobody has L. wurdemanni…….shoot.

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Wednesday, March 7, 2012 8:12 PM
I moved my boggessi to a nice 20 gallon tank with 2 dotty backs and a mandarin, and it appeared to do well for a week or so, molted and got rid of the eggs when I wasn't looking, and then a few days later, died. XXXXX

OK, now to find some wurdemanni…..

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Wednesday, March 7, 2012 8:29 PM
Good luck!  Wurdemanni sure are difficult to find...around here anyway.

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:39 AM
There are no wurdmanni anywhere, and I want to try, so I'm going with the ubiquitous boggessi.

I bought 3 more to add to the one left from the last attempt.  Two have passed on, but one successfully molted last night, and acquired a bunch of green eggs, unfortunately not attached to the shrimp's swimmerets. I think I'll get them out and have a look under the scope.  Let's see if I can get a spawning report out of this at least.

I put the eggs back in with the shrimp, and they both seem uninterested in them.  We'll see.  There is nothing else in the tank with them, so if the shrimp don't eat them, nobody else will either.
<message edited by KathyL on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:52 PM>

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:58 PM
More pix:

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:30 PM
Oh how strange.  I've never seen the eggs get released like that.  It would be really cool if they hatched though!

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Wednesday, May 2, 2012 9:17 PM
Eggs disappeared as well as all life in the tank.  I think nitrates may have gotten the shrimp.  Advice came, to add live rock and do a good water change, and put 10 shrimp in there.  I may just do that.

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Monday, April 8, 2013 12:31 AM
I like that the species ID was right here   So glad I finally found this too - http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=39004&mpage=1#81776

jazzybio13
  • Total Posts : 492
  • Reward points : 274
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Saturday, August 24, 2013 2:39 PM
Kathy, did you ever have the eggs appear like this again?!?! and were you ever able to hatch them from this point?

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Saturday, August 24, 2013 2:49 PM
Haven't touched a shrimp since this last attempt.  Sorry.

check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

jazzybio13
  • Total Posts : 492
  • Reward points : 274
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Saturday, August 24, 2013 2:52 PM
lol. that's ok. I just had a shrimp croak on me 4 days out from hatch... so I striped her of her eggs and fed her to the banggai's... but was wondering if I could have any success with these eggs... ??? IDK.. guess we'll see.

mmoner
  • Total Posts : 114
  • Reward points : 242
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:24 AM
Kirkendoll wrote that the mother releases a special hormone to make eggs hatch when she spawns, so you may need her to hatch  eggs but at least why not give it a try

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:56 AM
OK, I am trying again.  I have 5 adults, one carrying eggs, that i purchased from a local shop.  They are in my oldest broodstock system, bare tank, connected to a sump with tons of live rock.  There are only two other pairs of clownfish on this system and a pair of mithrax crabs in an adjoining tank.  The shrimp stand alone.  I need to rig two snaggers for the shrimp and crab tanks.

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Sunday, January 4, 2015 11:31 AM
I have 3 hardy survivors in the shrimp tank, and they are constantly holding abundant eggs.  Now that it is spring, I am getting ready to give this a go again.

Pix taken November 9, 2014
<message edited by KathyL on Sunday, January 4, 2015 11:54 AM>

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Sunday, January 4, 2015 11:47 AM
Hi Kathy, I am giving these guys a go too.  I have an upweller built and two boggessi and three wurdemanni.  Let's both get this done!  Good luck. 
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Sunday, January 4, 2015 11:49 AM
OOOOOO, Where'd you find Wurdemanni?

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Sunday, January 4, 2015 11:51 AM
Here's some hatchlings that I collected before I was ready to raise them: Pix taken December 15, 2015, not from the eggs held above.
Microscope shots:

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Sunday, January 4, 2015 8:17 PM
Quote Originally Posted by KathyL
OOOOOO, Where'd you find Wurdemanni?

An odd shipment of "Peppermint Shrimp" that arrived at the (only) LFS here was 50/50 wurdemanni/boggessi so of course I nabbed a few!    They are quite food aggressive compared to boggessi.

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Tuesday, January 6, 2015 11:53 PM
they are supposed to be easier to breed.  Let us know!

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Wednesday, January 7, 2015 10:54 PM
^ Well that would be nice!

Mdoty
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Reward points : 1044
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Tuesday, January 27, 2015 12:07 AM

I have 3 hardy survivors in the shrimp tank, and they are constantly holding abundant eggs.  Now that it is spring, I am getting ready to give this a go again.

Pix taken November 9, 2014

Spring in January!? I need to move a bit south! 

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Tuesday, January 27, 2015 8:36 AM
Somehow everything gets into high gear in February here, just in time for tax preparation, a chore that takes me a long time. 

One of the shrimp mysteriously disappeared. Two are still with us and holding.

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Sunday, February 1, 2015 8:54 PM
One was not holding eggs, and one was. I wonder if they are getting old, and now don't always spawn as they would as younger shrimp.  Feeling like I'm running out of time with these adults, I placed a snagger in their tank, and this morning I got this:

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Sunday, February 1, 2015 8:57 PM
I happened to start some brine shrimp hatchers yesterday to supplement the food of my neon gobies, but the shrimp had not hatched this morning when the peppermints were hungry, so I got a tank ready for them, and fed them the adults from all my calanoid copepods.  I've never done peps before so I'm pretty sure this batch will fail, but a person has to keep trying. This afternoon, the brine shrimps hatched, so they got some of them.

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Monday, February 2, 2015 9:20 AM
I've never done peps before so I'm pretty sure this batch will fail, but a person has to keep trying.

Don't say that!  I can tell you from experience that overfeeding NHBBS is a problem because the BS grow faster than the Peppermints, and when they are too big the Peppermints can't/won't catch them.  I always overfed - they aren't as voracious as Clown larvae.

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Monday, February 2, 2015 1:07 PM
I also threw a few Peps in the gobies larval tank to see if any survive.

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Wednesday, February 4, 2015 12:16 AM
Peps seem to be surviving in the gobie tank as well as the shrimp tank. It's the end of day 3, the day that Kirkendoll says that if the shrimp didn't eat in the first few hours after hatching, they would die.  So I guess the shrimp ate copepods in the first few hours after hatching.  There are lots of them in the shrimp tank, but getting pictures is trouble.  I'm feeding NHBS to the shrimps, but also in the gobie tank.

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Wednesday, February 4, 2015 10:59 PM
Very hard to get pictures in situ. I was able to capture one and put it under the dissecting scope:

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Wednesday, February 4, 2015 11:01 PM
and more:

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Wednesday, February 4, 2015 11:03 PM
The eyes on stalks are very interesting.  In some of the scope pix you can see lots of what looks like lenses on the end of the eye, and closer to the head, you can see the blood vessels that feed, I suppose, the retina.  What an amazing brain to process all the images from all the lenses….

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Saturday, February 7, 2015 1:37 PM
OK, day 7 and there were some that died, but I still have a lot, and the ones in the gobie larval tank appear just as lovely as the ones in the peppermint shrimp tank.  I think they have their "spear legs" now.  I'm giving them NHBS twice a day, and I've started feeding some encapsulated 50-100micron feed that I got from my friendly neighborhood University zebrafish farmer.  It is past the expiration date, but comes in a vacuum sealed can, so I have no issues feeding it.  It is designed to feed shrimps for shrimp hatcheries, which I assume means the kind of shrimp we humans love to eat.  Seems the pep shrimp larvae (and the gobies) like it.  Since I have more than a lifetime supply of the stuff, I am willing to share.  If you are interested in getting some, pm me.  You can then send me stamped, self addressed envelope, and I'll post you a "snack" baggie of it. 

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Sunday, February 8, 2015 12:12 AM
I spent a lot of time trying to get picture in focus of these guys, and this is the best I could do.

KathyL
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata boggessi - Sunday, February 8, 2015 12:14 AM
Many of them have spear legs.  These are the red tipped straight legs that they hold in front as they swim.

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 40 of 112 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version