Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus rotundiformis (M-Star)

wdt
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Reward points : 321
Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus rotundiformis (M-Star) - Monday, February 20, 2012 6:49 AM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Brachionus rotundiformis
Species description:  S rotifer
Culture source (link if possible):  http://uncw.edu/mstar/
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  2/16/12
Continuation Date: 

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  23 ppt 
Temperature:  80f
pH: 8-8.5

Vessel description:  6 gallon tall white bucket
Lighting description:  overhead 
Lighting cycle:  varies
Aeration description:  airstone with fine bubbles

Methodologies
Split methodology: I keep two cultures and plan to completely restart one culture every 10-15 days. 

Culture medium description:  I use new saltwater @ 23ppt to keep things simple at this point.   I have been feeding up to 6 mL of rotigrow per day in a 4 gallon culture. I add three drops of diluted Cloram-X every morning.      

Cell count: 

Reference links:  
http://uncw.edu/mstar/
Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes:  These get dense fast, much faster than any of the other cultures I have had in the past. 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

wdt
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus rotundiformis (M-Star) - Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:25 PM
Well that didn't last long. They were very dense cultures and appeared to be 100% pure. The cultures were taking 6ml of rotigrow plus per day, so when I missed a dose in the morning they crashed fast. 

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus rotundiformis (M-Star) - Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:10 PM
Bummer.  I'm going to try these guys next.  What I have done as well is to keep a bottle of concentrated rotifers in the fridge with a slight RotiGrow tint.  They will last in there for 7-10 days.  They are good backup, and have saved me from ordering a new starter before.  I'm not sure if S-type are any different, I did this with L-type.

wdt
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus rotundiformis (M-Star) - Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:30 PM
I had a cup in the fridge with rotigrow and when I pulled it the water was crystal clear. Guess I needed to add more food I had high hopes of trying these with my spawning hover gobies and mandarins. 

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus rotundiformis (M-Star) - Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:32 PM
Yeah, I need them for Mandarins (I hope hehe). 

wdt
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus rotundiformis (M-Star) - Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:43 AM
Well last night I dumped about half gallon of live ISO in with them dead buckets and they seem to be coming back. I spotted a few with eggs. About 1 per mL. Not sure if I should try to make the total volume of the culture smaller or let things be for now?