Are these Goldflake Maroons?

wdt
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 321
Are these Goldflake Maroons? - Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:46 AM
I get some of these every batch and wanted to know if they were goldflake or designer maroons? Any ideas of a fair asking price retail or wholesale?

Cheers
Will

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Are these Goldflake Maroons? - Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:44 PM
It seems to me that the fish typically labeled as "goldflakes" have at least some spotting...Mike Hoang's took that to an extreme beyond what Sustainable Aquatics initially named "Goldflake".  Of course, I think to be a "Gold Flake" the parentage has to be a "Gold Stripe Maroon"...thus if the fish above came from White Stripe Parents, perhaps a "WhiteFlake" might be in order ("Snowflake" makes me think of the Snowflake Ocellaris, which demonstrates an overbarring similar to the Picasso perc).  We don't know if these "Goldflakes" are genetic or just "misbars" of sorts...

Barelycuda
  • Total Posts : 186
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 829
Re:Are these Goldflake Maroons? - Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:50 PM
Based on my experience these are misbarred.  I have raised a few batches of GSM's and there were always some with similar markings.  Matt if I remember correctly the picture you took for the april fools lightning prank last year of my gsm's I am pretty sure there were some in that picture with markings like that.

wdt
Re:Are these Goldflake Maroons? - Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:39 PM
Thanks, they are from gold bar parents. Just for the record, I have a few misbars with out the spots. Mike Hoang's GSM babies are stunning 

Barelycuda
  • Total Posts : 186
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 829
Re:Are these Goldflake Maroons? - Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:16 PM
I had misbarrs without the spots also it is just that the spots weren't uncommon.

wdt
Re:Are these Goldflake Maroons? - Friday, February 24, 2012 6:02 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Barelycuda

I had misbarrs without the spots also it is just that the spots weren't uncommon.

I have raised around 3000 and I get less than 1% total of misbars and goldflakes. It seems some GSM produce much great percentage of misbars, I wonder if those parents also produce more goldflakes.