Why do some snails reproduce in aquarium and others don't?

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Why do some snails reproduce in aquarium and others don't? - Wednesday, March 7, 2012 6:55 PM
Why do Collonista, Stomatella, Rissoid, Pyramidellid, etc snails reproduce readily in typical reef aquariums without any intervention where Trochus, Astraea, Turbo, Ring Cowrie, etc don't?

gpsmart
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 49
Re:Why do some snails reproduce in aquarium and others don't? - Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:15 AM
Hi EasterEggs,

This may just come down to providing the right conditions for the broodstock and larvae. I have no problems getting trochus to reproduce with little intervention from me. Simply triggering a spawn with a water change and providing somewhere for the larvae to settle is all that it takes. It may be that something is missing from the typical reef aquarium which prevents some species from successfully reproducing.

Graham

GreshamH
  • Total Posts : 757
  • Scores: 16
  • Reward points : 600
Re:Why do some snails reproduce in aquarium and others don't? - Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:43 AM
Trochus are one of the asier ones, as long as you have diatoms for them to graze on

The rest I suspect are the life cycles...

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Why do some snails reproduce in aquarium and others don't? - Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:44 PM
As you've noted, stomatellas reproduce fine and they are broadcast spawners. So, I somewhat doubt that the problem lies in method of reproduction (broadcast spawning vs. direct sexual intercourse).

Mainly, my guess would be that the difference is whether the larvae have a pelagic phase and, if so, how long that pelagic phase lasts and also whether the larvae need to eat during their pelagic phase. I have snails that are direct developers (no pelagic phase) that reproduce great. I have snails that look like they have a short, possibly non-eating, pelagic phase and they reproduce okay (but not great). I would assume that those that need to be in the water column longer have worse chances of making it.

Snails are pretty much all over the map with regard to styles of reproduction and the larval development process. There are some snails that can last years (and have been maintained for years in the lab) as pelagic larvae before they finally find the right conditions to go through metamorphosis. It may also be that our aquaria are lacking in whatever settlement cues some species need to get through meta.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

EasterEggs
Re:Why do some snails reproduce in aquarium and others don't? - Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:21 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Umm_fish?
Snails are pretty much all over the map with regard to styles of reproduction and the larval development process. There are some snails that can last years (and have been maintained for years in the lab) as pelagic larvae before they finally find the right conditions to go through metamorphosis. It may also be that our aquaria are lacking in whatever settlement cues some species need to get through meta.

Ah, I think herein lies the light!  I thought all snails generally reproduced the same way.

Anyone know a good paper or article that talks about the common species kept in reef tanks?  I would love to learn more about the reproduction cycle of common snails.

Umm_fish?
Re:Why do some snails reproduce in aquarium and others don't? - Saturday, May 5, 2012 11:09 AM
--Andy, the bucket man.

GreshamH
  • Total Posts : 757
  • Scores: 16
  • Reward points : 600
Re:Why do some snails reproduce in aquarium and others don't? - Saturday, May 5, 2012 1:08 PM
Do any of the private Shimek PDFs have snail breeding info in them?  I have not looked at those since Project Dibs was active.

Umm_fish?
Re:Why do some snails reproduce in aquarium and others don't? - Saturday, May 5, 2012 8:26 PM
I'm sure there must be some in there. Looks like lecture 5 has a big snail on the cover ( ). I learned a hell of a lot from that course, both Ron's readings and going through the biology book he recommended (http://www.amazon.com/Invertebrate-Zoology-Functional-Evolutionary-Approach/dp/0030259827/ref=sr_1_54?ie=UTF8&qid=1336271074&sr=8-54) and also the fantastic Strathmann book (http://www.amazon.com/Reproduction-Development-Invertebrates-Northern-Pacific/dp/0295965231/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1336271124&sr=8-3).
--Andy, the bucket man.

Umm_fish?
Re:Why do some snails reproduce in aquarium and others don't? - Saturday, May 5, 2012 8:47 PM
He does include a link to this, which is a cool freaking movie: http://celldynamics.org/celldynamics/gallery/movieWindows/timelapse/limacina.html

He says this in Lecture 8, p. 4:

Quote Originally Posted by
There are quite a large number of invertebrates whose larvae are non-feeding. Some of these, such as the trochacean snails belong to whole larger taxa entirely without feeding larvae.

Lots of stuff in there is good for molluscs in general, just as general biology. And a lot of it pretty much applies to every invert.

This is a good paper: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=on%20feeding%20mechanisms%20and%20clearance%20rates%20of%20molluscan%09veligers&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CFgQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Flibres.uncg.edu%2Fir%2Funcg%2Ff%2FE_Leise_On_1979.pdf&ei=7OSlT5eTAsLa0QHqhfykBQ&usg=AFQjCNEBka4EIVSraaUg_pFIkc9h3SlnLg

This is a great (and scary) paper if you can find it: An Extraordinarily Long Larval Duration of 4.5 Years from Hatching to Metamorphosis for Teleplanic Veligers of Fusitriton oregonensis.

This is good, too, if you can find it: http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2097052?uid=3739568&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21100773330241
--Andy, the bucket man.

aomont
  • Total Posts : 774
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 1003
Re:Why do some snails reproduce in aquarium and others don't? - Sunday, May 6, 2012 7:20 AM
4,5 YEARS ?????????
We should stop complaining about "long" larval phase right now. lol
Anderson.

Umm_fish?
Re:Why do some snails reproduce in aquarium and others don't? - Sunday, May 6, 2012 6:29 PM
Absolutely. And they kept the larvae going that long. It's freaking incredible. Here's the abstract:

Quote Originally Posted by
Abstract.
Veliger larvae of the NE Pacific snail Fusitriton oregonensis were reared in culture for 4.5 to 4.6 years from hatching to metamorphosis and through postlarval growth to reproduction. Larval shells grew in length from 0.20 to 3.9 mm. Late veligers grew slowly, but shell sizes increased even in the 4th and 5th years. Widths of larval shells at late stages equaled or exceeded those of the protoconchs of two juveniles from the field. Cultured larvae did not metamor- phose until presented with subtidal rocks and associated biota. There was no indication of larval senescence: the first 2 years of postmetamorphic shell growth were slightly faster, and time from metamorphosis to first reproduction (3.3 years) was slightly less than for an individual that had developed to metamorphic competence in the plankton. A 4.5-year larval phase exceeds previous estimates for tele- planic larval durations and greatly exceeds estimates of the time for transport across oceans. This extraordinarily long larval period may exceed the usual duration in nature but shows that larval periods can be much longer than previ- ously suspected without complete stasis in growth and with little if any loss of viability.

--Andy, the bucket man.

EasterEggs
Re:Why do some snails reproduce in aquarium and others don't? - Monday, May 7, 2012 8:50 AM
Thanks for all the links!  It will take me some time to go through it all! 

Umm_fish?
Re:Why do some snails reproduce in aquarium and others don't? - Tuesday, May 8, 2012 11:20 AM
Most of them are fairly small papers but like any science paper they tend to be pretty dense. The books are key, especially the Strathmann. It doesn't cover tropical species but there's a lot of overlap. And, honestly, there's nothing like it for tropical species. The whole thing is a little dated now, but it's one-of-a-kind.
--Andy, the bucket man.