Breeding Journal, Species: Elacatinus oceanops

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Reward points : 1486
Breeding Journal, Species: Elacatinus oceanops - Saturday, March 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Elacatinus ocenops
Social Structure:  Pair
Size of Individuals:  Appx. 1 1/2 inches
Age of Individuals:  Unknown
Date added to Tank:  11/22/2011

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  20 Gal.
Substrate Details:  None
Filtration Details:  HOB filter
Water Changes:  Infrequent
Water Temperature:  Appx. 76-78 F
Lighting:  Cheap strip fluorescent light
Lighting Cycle:  14 H on / 10 H off
Other Tank Inhabitants:  One male Pseudochromis tapeinosoma

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Various frozen foods:  Spirulina brine, Mysis, Marine Cuisine, Cyclops, Nutramar Ova
Feeding Schedule:  2-4 times per day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  Unknown
Spawn Time of Day:  Unknown
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 
Courtship Details:  They are pretty much together all the time.  Otherwise, not observed
Egg Size:  Hard to tell -- they are in a PVC pipe -- perhaps 1-2mm
Egg Color:  Hard to tell -- perhaps yellowish
Egg Count:  Perhaps a couple of hundred

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description: 

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

JimWelsh
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Elacatinus oceanops - Saturday, March 10, 2012 8:56 PM
These two fish were purchased on the way back home from burying our dear old dog, Fred (who some of you may know of).  The hope was to breed them in remembrance of him, as a way of saying that "life goes on...."

The were first placed in the 65 gallon "seahorse" tank.  At first, the larger of the two was really mean to the smaller one, and would beat it up at every opportunity.  The poor little one could hardly come out to eat without getting attacked!  This lasted for a couple of weeks, and then, suddenly, they became an inseparable, peaceful pair.

Next thing that happened was that an unquarantined introduction of a Yellow Clown Goby came down with Ich, and the neons, doing their "cleaner" thing, also became quite Ich infested.  The two Neon Gobies, the Yellow Clown Goby, and the male P. tapienosoma in this tank were given FW dips and moved to a hospital tank, and treated with copper.

Ultimately, the Yellow Clown Goby died, the P. tapeinosoma never did show any signs of Ich, and the Neon Gobies recovered from the Ich.  Unfortunately, I've not had time to deal with moving any of these three fish into other accomodations, so they've stayed in this hospital tank, with some PVC caves for shelter.

Inspired by Tal's recent reports of his Neon Gobies spawning and hatching, I thought I'd check the PVC caves tonight -- just for giggles.  Here is what I saw:

I have no idea when these eggs were laid.  I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes out for a hatch, or else be forewarned, and pay closer attention to the next spawn!

Attached Image(s)

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Elacatinus oceanops - Saturday, March 10, 2012 8:59 PM
this is totally unfair.  I've had a group of 4 for 6 months, no bad interaction, but no eggs either….
Really, congrats, Jim, AGAIN...

JimWelsh
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Elacatinus oceanops - Saturday, March 10, 2012 9:14 PM
Thanks, Kathy!

Here are some lousy pictures of the parents that I shot in a big hurry tonight.  Not exactly award-winning photos, but just to show the broodstock:

Attached Image(s)

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Elacatinus oceanops - Sunday, March 11, 2012 12:03 AM
Woot!
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Elacatinus oceanops - Sunday, March 11, 2012 9:09 AM
Now the race is on!  Hehehehehe