Shy clownfish

wdt
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 321
Shy clownfish - Monday, March 12, 2012 6:25 AM
Greetings,

I have a pair of platinum clownfish for 3 days that seem to be shy to the point that they are constantly in one corner of the tank and will not eat if I am in view. Not really a problem but they sleep at the top of the tank under the filter.

They are a bonded pair in a 40 breeder with some bangers and a deco crab. I blacked out the side of the tank they hang out on and they are not getting direct light.  Should I add a host? What can I do to make them feel more at home?  I have bubble tips anemones if needed.

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Shy clownfish - Monday, March 12, 2012 7:38 AM
Add a few more fish for a while. If they see other fish not getting eaten and competing for food, they will get more bold.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Shy clownfish - Monday, March 12, 2012 7:39 AM
Oh, should read: "Add a few more fish of a different species."
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Shy clownfish - Monday, March 12, 2012 7:41 AM
Or just give them time.

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:Shy clownfish - Monday, March 12, 2012 7:44 AM
If its only been a few days I would give them a little more time to acclimate. If it continues after that you might try a host to see if that is what they are accustomed to. Is the tank BTA wandering proof? I had a pair of Picassos that were the same way. The biggest problem for me became the feeding. I had to dump food in and walk away and they were still very afraid to come out to eat which really pollutes the tank. The only way mine started acting better was after I had to move them to a bare bottom hospital tank where there was really no where for them to hide. That probably isnt recommended but the female (lost the male) began to eagerly eat and chase flakes or whatever I fed even when I moved her to a new tank.