Ocellaris fry hatching during the day

CaptCrash
  • Total Posts : 649
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 1278
Ocellaris fry hatching during the day - Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:42 AM
Does anyone have any experience with their clowns hatching during the day?

I have four tanks that only receive ambient and spill over light from the other breeding tanks.  They do not have overhead lighting
The pair of ocellaris that I have in one of these tanks has for the last two nests hatched during the day rather than at night.

Is this likely to be because of a lack of direct overhead light?

It is an extension to my breeding setup with the same water supply, temp, food etc so its the only thing I can come up with as an issue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CableGuy
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Scores: 7
  • Reward points : 731
Re:Ocellaris fry hatching during the day - Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:45 AM
I've had this same issue but I can't pinpoint a cause. Im not sure if I have some light creep or leave a light on, on say, day 7 by accident therefore causing them not hatch until day 8 and some of the larvae get a little frisky and want to hatch a little early.

I will say that I know it happens ~6 hours or less from light out. I will leave for work at 9am with a full clutch and come back at ~6pm and it still looks good but from that time until 8 or 9pm they start to disappear - Lights out is a 12am.
-Adam

luis a m
  • Total Posts : 451
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 1249
Re:Ocellaris fry hatching during the day - Friday, March 16, 2012 1:22 PM
Never heard nor seen.I should start with some direct lighting.

WestOhooligan
  • Total Posts : 82
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 161
Re:Ocellaris fry hatching during the day - Friday, July 6, 2012 2:05 PM
So, old thread, but this has happened to me on 2 occasions; not the whole clutch, but getting a few "early" hatchers while lights are still on.  Just happened yesterday with a batch that I thought should have hatched on Wednesday night.  I went ahead and turned all lights on the the tanks in the fish room and they all ended up hatching an hour later.

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Ocellaris fry hatching during the day - Friday, July 6, 2012 8:27 PM
My Darwins start hatching about 2 hours before lights out, although the main hatch still occurs after the lights are out.
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Scores: 22
  • Reward points : 446
Re:Ocellaris fry hatching during the day - Saturday, July 7, 2012 10:23 PM
I've had it happen several times. It's in my reef tank. Overhead lighting. the works. it's usually on day 8 though if they didn't hatch the night before.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8