Feeding shrimp - Larvae stage

CableGuy
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Scores: 7
  • Reward points : 731
Feeding shrimp - Larvae stage - Sunday, April 1, 2012 1:25 PM
Why is everyone using ONLY BBS?

Copepods wont work?

When can you wean them to dry or frozen foods?

-Adam

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Scores: 14
  • Reward points : 1486
Re:Feeding shrimp - Larvae stage - Sunday, April 1, 2012 1:46 PM
I used copepods (Apocyclops) for my early stage L. boggessi.

r33fking
  • Total Posts : 112
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 316
Re:Feeding shrimp - Larvae stage - Sunday, April 1, 2012 1:52 PM
i am in the same position .
i am completely tired of working with bbs all together . dirty, die off , poor nutrition and too much fuss . 
i am running large tubs and its too costly to stock them with bs for 40+ days and a pain in the A to clean them . no matter how careful i am and how thorough i decapsulate i just cant keep the cysts out of my tubs . not to mention the problems with medusa's and hydroids being introduced via artemia .... its for the birds.
i have been working on a semi- co culture technique involving as complete of a food chain as i can with the use of I.A. , dinos , rots and pods . 
takes a little time ramping up the pod population in tubs of this volume but i think it will be worth the time .
my experiments indicate boggessi larvae will eat anything they can catch . 

CableGuy
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Scores: 7
  • Reward points : 731
Re:Feeding shrimp - Larvae stage - Sunday, April 1, 2012 1:57 PM
Quote Originally Posted by r33fking

i am in the same position .
i am completely tired of working with bbs all together . dirty, die off , poor nutrition and too much fuss . 
i am running large tubs and its too costly to stock them with bs for 40+ days and a pain in the A to clean them . no matter how careful i am and how thorough i decapsulate i just cant keep the cysts out of my tubs . not to mention the problems with medusa's and hydroids being introduced via artemia .... its for the birds.
i have been working on a semi- co culture technique involving as complete of a food chain as i can with the use of I.A. , dinos , rots and pods . 
takes a little time ramping up the pod population in tubs of this volume but i think it will be worth the time .
my experiments indicate boggessi larvae will eat anything they can catch . 

This is what I was instant messaging you about.

Great info, thanks!!
-Adam

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Feeding shrimp - Larvae stage - Sunday, April 1, 2012 3:43 PM
My boggessi don't seem to do well on rotifers (too fast?).  I have the same success using frozen Cyclopeeze as I did using BBS, so I ditched using BBS.  Andy Rhyne et al. suggest that using 2 or more food types gets the best success.  They mention using dry flake/pellet in addition to BBS.  Since I was already using Cyclopeeze, I was starting to add some BBS every 2nd day or so.  I wasn't very consistent with the BBS though since they are such a pain to hatch.  I don't have any copepods otherwise I would try that.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Feeding shrimp - Larvae stage - Sunday, April 1, 2012 3:51 PM
Not having worked with shrimp yet I can't be sure but I'm thinking that getting a high density pod culture going may be the tough part. Most pods reproduce slower than one can hatch brine. Not that I'm a fan of brine by any means.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

ssabey
  • Total Posts : 188
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 791
Re:Feeding shrimp - Larvae stage - Sunday, April 1, 2012 10:04 PM
They will eat dry (crushed flakes, pellets) from day one. I clean the bottom of the tank an hour after I feed dry, so I don't feed dry till the larvae are little bigger and easier to see.    
<message edited by ssabey on Monday, April 2, 2012 1:54 AM>

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Feeding shrimp - Larvae stage - Monday, April 2, 2012 7:03 PM
Yeah, shrimp larvae aren`t very picky.  They will eat live, frozen, dry.  From what I have learned, the issue seems to be keeping the food particles suspended so the shrimp can get them, and keeping up water quality. 

miraal
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 21
Re:Feeding shrimp - Larvae stage - Monday, October 13, 2014 8:52 AM
I just looked at some of my emerald larvae under my scope. I'm in day 3, and I pulled two that looked white-ish (I thought they may acually be dead ones) and one darker one. Under the scope I found that the two whiter ones were zoea two and the darker one was still zoea one. If I see one spread out instead of in a tight ball it is usually dead.  
You can easily check out our high quality  ccna security  which prepares you well for the real  MICROSOFT  .