ClorAm-X Solution Dilution

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
ClorAm-X Solution Dilution - Saturday, April 14, 2012 3:38 PM
Is everyone using 12 tsp (60 mL) per 1 liter of RO/DI water to make a solution that works 1:1 with the RotiGrow products?  Or do some of you use different strength solution?  I'm surprised people use volume measurements for the ClorAm-X rather than weight.

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Scores: 13
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:ClorAm-X Solution Dilution - Saturday, April 14, 2012 3:54 PM
my info says 16 teaspoons which comes out to about 1/3 cup.
12 teaspoons is 1/4 cup.  

I think it's volume because not every one has a sensitive scale for weights, but most have volume measures for cooking.

EasterEggs
Re:ClorAm-X Solution Dilution - Saturday, April 14, 2012 7:26 PM
Ok, 16 tsp is another one I've heard, so that makes sense too.  JimW said 12 tsp in a different thread though, and I figure he's a pretty good source for info!    Tal said 1/3 cup in another thread too.  I guess it is 2 to 1 against Jim!  Hehe!  I made up a 250 mL bottle today with 3 tsp, it would be easy enough to add one more teaspoon if needed.

Digital scales are cheap!  I'm surprised that many people don't have them.  I have a 100 gram scale that is accurate to 0.01 grams that I bought off eBay for $10 I think.  I also have a 5 kg scale that is accurate to 1 gram that I bought at a hardware store for $15.  I have a set of scale weights that I use to check accuracy for the scales and they are very good.  I rely greatly on my scales for making solutions for my reef and my breeding room.

If measurements are made by volume instead of weight I will usually measure it out in volume as accurately as possible, then weigh it, record that number, and use the weight for future use.  At least then I know my own solutions are consistent.

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Scores: 13
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:ClorAm-X Solution Dilution - Saturday, April 14, 2012 10:36 PM
That's a great practice, Mindy!

When I need to weigh out larger quantities, like for making up saltwater, I use a balance board.  It's a plywood board with a chopstick glued to the exact middle, like the fulcrum of a see-saw.  If I need a kilogram of somethings I use two plastic milk jugs, tops cut off.  In one I measure a volume of water, 1 liter per kilogram for the desired weight, and the other is what I will pour the salt or whatever I am measuring.  I put the water-filled jug on one side, and the empty one on the other side, and begin pouring the thing I want to measure into the empty jug.  When the board tips, I have a pretty accurate measure of the salt or whatever.  This balance is quite accurate and absolutely free, since I used scrap wood.  I know its accurate because I can check salinity with the refractometer, and its always spot on.

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Scores: 14
  • Reward points : 1486
Re:ClorAm-X Solution Dilution - Sunday, April 15, 2012 7:45 AM

EasterEggs
Re:ClorAm-X Solution Dilution - Sunday, April 15, 2012 9:15 AM
Thanks Jim, I saw that in my hunting.  I didn't find that information to be very clear.  Kinda like "too much information".  LOL.  I think he was saying that 12 tsp should be sufficient, but I'm not sure.  That's why I mixed my solution up with 12 tsp.

Barelycuda
  • Total Posts : 186
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 829
Re:ClorAm-X Solution Dilution - Sunday, April 15, 2012 10:07 PM
I have 2 digital scales that I bought for about the same price you did.  I prefer weighing vs. volume personally.  I however do not premix my cloram-x.  I have a very small scoop that came with a brine hatcher that works out to be 5g worth of water exactly.  Then when I need it I dilute a scoop in a cup of saltwater and add it to whatever I am working with. 

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 953
Re:ClorAm-X Solution Dilution - Monday, April 16, 2012 10:36 AM
The recommended dosage has changed over the years. I learned it first at 16 tablespoons per liter but I think it's been revised down since then.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

GreshamH
  • Total Posts : 757
  • Scores: 16
  • Reward points : 600
Re:ClorAm-X Solution Dilution - Monday, April 16, 2012 7:11 PM
Kathy, weighing salt is not a good idea as it sucks up water if any is present.  Best to measure salt.

ChlorAm-X is best weighed, but we've found 9 out of 10 customers do not have scales so we gave volume measurements instead

It's very hard to over dose ChlorAm-X, 12, 16, either are fine. 

FWIW: http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/ best and cheapest source for scale we've found   "Like" them on Facebook and join their weekly give-away