Perc v. false perc

patent
  • Total Posts : 67
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 843
Perc v. false perc - Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:34 PM
Have a couple mature pairs of clowns I purchased locally to learn about breeding.  Neither owner seemed particularly sure (to me) which type of clowns he had, and I was wondering if anyone has opinions on what these two pairs are, occelaris or percula?

I'm not very good with the camera yet, but if you need a different pic just ask and I'll do my best.  Thanks for any help, just want to label them correctly down the road.  Also, any way to tell from their offspring's development if I get that far?

==============
Pair 1:  Female is probably about 4 inches in size.  Male is 2.5"  they've started laying eggs, and that's probably the main motivation for this thread.  They don't have any right now, and I didn't get a pic of the clutch the first time.  A couple pics, all three are mainly of the female, didn't get any good pics of the male though he is a mini me:

pair 1 pic a.jpg by patentfish, on Flickr

pair 1 pic b by patentfish, on Flickr

pair 1 pic c by patentfish, on Flickr

===================================================

Pair 2, female is about 3 inches, male is about 2 inches.  No eggs yet, though the female has looked fattened up from time to time no real action I've seen so far.

pair 2 pic a by patentfish, on Flickr

pair 2 pic b by patentfish, on Flickr

pair 2 pic c by patentfish, on Flickr

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Perc v. false perc - Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:50 PM
Just going from the pics I would say they are all A. ocellaris. The number of dorsal spines can be inconclusive.

The best way I've found to tell them apart is by looking at the eyes... A. ocellaris will have eyes that appear larger because the iris is dark orange or black like the pupil. A. percula eyes appear "beady" looking as the iris is lighter orange. This isn't as apparent in pics as it is in person. Take a look at yours and you should see what I'm talking about.

With regard to their offspring, A. ocellaris juveniles will have all 3 bars by 3-5 weeks. A. percula can take up to a year, or more so it is apparent fairly soon. The only time they will be confusion is if you're working with a mixed pair, then your results may vary.

FWIW, I always use the Latin names rather than "true" or "false" as they can be confusing to some.  
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

Barelycuda
  • Total Posts : 186
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 829
Re:Perc v. false perc - Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:44 PM
I would agree with Tal,  it looks like both pairs are A. Ocellaris to me.

Zooid
  • Total Posts : 182
  • Reward points : 282
Re:Perc v. false perc - Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:25 AM
As do I.

patent
  • Total Posts : 67
  • Reward points : 843
Re:Perc v. false perc - Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:55 AM
Thanks everyone, appreciate the help.  I had thought the first pair was possibly percs, but then in person their size makes their eye look so large I had a harder time reading it, and I'm terrible at counting spines, can't seem to do it very well. 

Sounds like if I can get a spawn I may be able to learn more from that as well, so here's to hoping for that.

John