Breeding Journal, Species: [Amp Percula / Amp Ocellaris]

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 40 of 81 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
Macae fernandes
  • Total Posts : 72
  • Reward points : 128
Breeding Journal, Species: [Amp Percula / Amp Ocellaris] - Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:25 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Amphiprion percula ( f ) Amphiprion Ocellaris ( m)
Social Structure:  Pair
Size of Individuals:  Female 2 inch - Male 1,5 inch
Age of Individuals:  Unknown but i think no more than 2,5 - 3 years max
Date added to Tank:  Female on 07/02/2011 and male on 11/03/2011

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  55 G
Substrate Details:  Coral sand 1 - 1 1/2 inch
Filtration Details:  Sump with 10 G - Skimmer ati BM 250 i
Water Changes:  10% weekly
Water Temperature:  26,5 - 27º c
Lighting:  6 x 39 wts
Lighting Cycle:  13 pm - 22 pm
Other Tank Inhabitants:  Pair of bangai cardinals; 1 gramma loreto, one mandarin; 1 zebrasoma flavens, 1 salaria fasciatus, turbos, ermit crabs, nassarius, strombus, etc...

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Home made misture of smashed shrimp, garlic and salmon ( freezed ), freezed brine shrimp from tropical marine center, f1 marine pellet, brine shrimp plus flakes and f2 flakes, all from Ocean Nutrition, and sometimes give them some live amphypods.
Feeding Schedule:  1/2 times a day.

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  20/06/2012 - could be between 16 pm of 19/06 and 12 pm of 20/06 when i first saw the eggs.
Spawn Time of Day:  unknown ; last one was bet. 20-21 pm; 3rd spawn started at 15:45 and ended after an hour.
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  20/06/12; 01/07/12; 14/07/12;
Courtship Details: 
Egg Size:  +- 2mm
Egg Color:  orange/red
Egg Count:  126 ( 1st );

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  During night of 29 to 30/06/12 ; during mid afternoon and 21pm ( 2nd one );
Hatch Time of Day:  Unknown but between 23 pm and the morning of the next day
# Days after Spawn:  10
Larvae Description:   
Consecutive Hatch Dates:  30/06/2012;    11/07/2012;

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by Macae fernandes on Saturday, July 14, 2012 6:22 PM>

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:06 PM
Here it goes the pic of the eggs taken at 5 pm today.

<message edited by Macae fernandes on Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:11 PM>

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:13 PM
And one from the pair

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:06 PM
Now i can barely observe the eggs cause its covered by the anemon tentacles.. I only hope that there is not a problem with the necessary aeration of the eggs cause of that... Do you think the eggs are looking in a good coloration and shap for a first spawn of the bonded pair?

CableGuy
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Reward points : 731
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:31 PM
She looks a little bigger than 2".

She is a beautiful fish!
-Adam

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Friday, June 22, 2012 9:06 AM
I don´t think she is much bigger than 2, maybe 2 1/4.

All the eggs seems to be there , pair continues to mouth and to aerate them, however i noticed today that they seem to be darker. Seems that they are no longet orange/red and are much like a dark borwn or someting. Is it normal with 3 days of spawn»?

CableGuy
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Reward points : 731
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Friday, June 22, 2012 11:14 AM
Yep, 100% normal.
-Adam

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:31 AM
Hi,
Again to give some news: The clowns still doing well  their jobs, and the eggs seemm ok, they got darker and some have already a silver dot in the upper end, wich i think its the eyes of the larva getting formed, right?

Ill try to post some more fotos later.. im depending on a friend of mine cause my foto machine is crap.

When should i be expecting the hatch, since they spawn between 19th and 20th miday?
<message edited by Macae fernandes on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 5:31 AM>

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:49 AM
Eggs will look silver when they are about to hatch. That is caused by light reflecting in the eyes. They should hatch 7-9 days after spawn depending on water temp.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:49 PM
Ohh so they can hactch any minute from now.. Will take some fotos now , ill post them later.

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:30 AM
Got some pictures already, gonna post them in a few hours. The eggs didnt hatch during the night, at least most of them. We can realy see the 2 eyes, very nice.

As i said this is the first hactch and im still not prepared to try to breed them, but im looking forward too, so i would like to know your expertise advice on the measures of the larval tank? What do you say?

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:17 AM
As promised here is the foto taken some hours ago, in the 6/7 th day post spawn:

You think they seem normal?

From the initial 126 egg count i can now count only 75-80, wich i think its normal to have some losses, more and more this is the pair first try...

<message edited by Macae fernandes on Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:20 AM>

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Wednesday, June 27, 2012 10:45 AM
That is excellent for their first try. You see the "eyes" I was talking about? They look close to hatching.
<message edited by Fishtal on Wednesday, June 27, 2012 12:46 PM>

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Saturday, June 30, 2012 5:19 AM
The eggs hatched this night. When i went to bed at 23 pm they were still there and in this morning were missing. As i think i refered before, im not trying to breed this first hatches cause i will be out for 3 weeks soon, and im not realy well prepared. Have the larval tank already the heater the filter sponge, the place, i have phyto, but need to get some rots and try to start producing some, so its not yet the time to take the big adventure of breeding these beautiful litle fishes.

Im also puting a ceramic tile to see if they spawn in there in the expected next spawns.

Still learning from you guys, and will ask a lot soon, counting on your precious help.

Tongue
PS - When should i expect next spawn, in normal conditions that is?
<message edited by Macae fernandes on Saturday, June 30, 2012 7:21 AM>

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Saturday, June 30, 2012 11:45 AM
You'll probably get another spawn next week. Usually every 14-21 days once they get a routine worked out.
<message edited by Fishtal on Sunday, July 1, 2012 5:59 PM>

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Sunday, July 1, 2012 4:56 AM
Think so too, they are already having some cleanings.. I introduced a tile and put it behind the anemon and they seems to satisfied. Already trying to clean it. I hope they can spawn in there.

Im betting in the next spawn to be next wendnsday.

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Sunday, July 1, 2012 3:13 PM
Weel, seems i didnt win the guess.. They just spawn again, near the same spot. Seems more eggs than fist time , i will try to count them later, and give some report on them.

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Sunday, July 1, 2012 7:40 PM
Congrats!  Keep records so you know how long to hatch for next time.
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Wednesday, July 4, 2012 5:51 AM
Heres a picture of the last spwan. Number seems more or less the same ( around 130 eggs ). Quality of picture is not so good cause its not my pro friend´s machine.

As you can see, they spawn in rock in a diferent place from the first one, and they didnt want the tile. After this one ill put another one, to see if they spwan in one of the tiles. I hope so, orelse ill have to go the hard manner and colect the larvas in the hatch night!!

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:53 PM
Hi,
 2nd batch hatched today between 2 pm and 21pm ( lights are on bet 13 pm and 22 pm ).
They tricked me caused i was expecting the hatch after lights are off, but seems they dont think like that. Is it normal they hatch with lights on? Think its more unusual.

If they take the same time as before should lay eggs again in 2/3 days, so im betting the 14th of July for the next spawn. Will be on guard and paying close attention to them. Wiill report later when there is news.

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Saturday, July 14, 2012 4:26 PM
Hi,

As i was guessing they spawn again today ( 14/07 ) - afternoon between 15: 45 and 16:45. The news is that i assisted all the spawn and recorded and fotographed it.  Beautiful indeeed , i was so excited. The spawn took about one hour and but the most of the eggs where layed in the first 35 minutes. This is the 3rd diferent spot they pick, as i put some tiles they change places everytime, so it was on rock again.

Here is the video, i hope you enjoy as much as i did 

<message edited by Macae fernandes on Saturday, July 14, 2012 6:29 PM>

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Wednesday, September 12, 2012 11:51 AM
Hi, been some time since i dont update this thread. All is going well, and the pair is spawning in a continuos mode. 10 days to hatch, 2 days after they spawn again. They are spawning at this moment and i made a litle video for you. The spanw before this one they laid about 500 eggs.

Im still gathering info and preparing myself to try to breed this beauties, and i have tha phyto and artemia station ready to go
Advices are welcome.
Im following joyce´s book advices and method.
here is my phyto and artemia station DIY

<message edited by Macae fernandes on Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:59 PM>

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Wednesday, September 12, 2012 12:07 PM
here is a video of this afternoon spwan where you can clearly see the eggs layer from the female

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:19 AM
Hi all,

I will try to breed my some fry for the first time. I think i have the things needed for that, phyto , rotifers, etc.. My pair have been spawning regularly, and the larvae are taking about 10 days to hatch, except in the last one where they took almost 12 days, so now i am in a serious doubt: When to take the tile from the aqua and put it in the larvae tank? Other problem is that i am going to be for some hours out of home in the days that the spawn can occur, so my question is:

Is there a big trouble if , par example, take the eggs and they stay for 48 hours before hatching in the Larvae tank? Of course there will be apropriate air bubble and temperature control.

Please tell me what to do

Ty

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Friday, October 19, 2012 3:00 AM
Im moving the tile with the eggs this afternoon to the fry tank, is there a problem to tint the wtaer with the phyto BEFORE they start to hatch or shall i only tint after?

Im driping it no more than a drop per second cause of the diference of salinity - Phyto is at 1.020 and water from MT is at 1.024.

Ty and hoping  to have an advice from you guys.

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Friday, October 19, 2012 12:06 PM
Hi Again,

Just moved the tile, can you please tell me if you think the air bubbles are ok?  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u36XRmPQOts&feature=youtu.be

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Friday, October 19, 2012 1:47 PM
Might want to speed it up just a bit.

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Saturday, October 20, 2012 3:49 AM
Hi all, Hi Fishtal

In the morning i had 7 alive and 3 dead ( wich i think should be normal ), and after light is on they start to hatch more fast. In a hour i counted more 9. Think the rest will hatch during this day. Unfortunately i have to go to a fishing competition and only be back at 19h, but there is some rots in the fry tank and some phyto so i think they will be ok.

There´s a video of my ever first clownfish babies )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3L9pFKYpuQ&feature=youtu.be

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Saturday, October 20, 2012 6:56 PM
Hi,

Tonight just some minutes after lights out at 10 pm at fry tank, in wich i had about 30 larva swimming,  there was a masive hatch. I did not count them, it´s hard, but surely more than 100.

Video here

When and how much shall i begin with TPA´s?

Im thinking on the 3 day, day after tomorrow, to take one Gallon and put 2 G from the broodstock one, what do you say?

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Saturday, October 20, 2012 6:56 PM
Hi,

Tonight just some minutes after lights out at 10 pm at fry tank, in wich i had about 30 larva swimming,  there was a masive hatch. I did not count them, it´s hard, but surely more than 100.

Video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBTg8EKdx14&feature=youtu.be

When and how much shall i begin with TPA´s?

Im thinking on the 3 day, day after tomorrow, to take one Gallon and put 2 G from the broodstock one, what do you say?

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Monday, October 22, 2012 9:40 AM
Everything seems to be goign well, just a few dead ones this morning, and lots of them alive and seeming healthy.

Yesterday i had 14 rots/ml, and today i have 28/ml, wich i think it´s too much cause of the possible oxygen depletion from the rots. Im adding phyto to feed the rots in fry tank. Shall i stop adding more phyto? At least rots im not introducing new ones to the fry tank till the density goes down a bit.

Please give me your experienced opinios on this matter cause it´s my first breeding atempt. ty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFnOewYZb7U
here is another video

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Monday, October 22, 2012 1:32 PM
I would add more phyto to make it greener.

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Monday, October 22, 2012 6:07 PM
So you dont see any problems to have a big density of rot´s in the fry tank? is not there a risk of a cut in the oxygen available?
Joyce referes an aim of 10/15 rots per ml in her book.

Today just 17 casualties, and i noticed that most of them during the night ( 15 ), , why is that? i have the aqua at 80Fº, and a 13 wts normal light 1 feet above. Could it be excess lightning? I noticed a moment ago 2/3 larvas swimming in a round way with the head down and tail up, against the bottom.

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Monday, October 22, 2012 7:10 PM
I've never counted rotifers but I know some people do. You can have too many and that may cause oxygen depletion so make sure your airstone is working properly. 

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Friday, October 26, 2012 4:51 AM
Hi, this morning had only 1 dead, and only got 4 deads since day 4, today is day 6, wich i think it´s ok.

I´ve notice this morning that some fry have already lateral fins, and move like a fish so i think i´ve got some in meta already, am i right?

A few make one week of life this night but majority of them hatched at 22pm saturday night.

I´ll post later a video of one clownfish wich i think it´s meta done.

Im in Portugal so i can´t easily get my hands on dry foods like OTO A etc, so please can you advice me others alternative dry foods for me to feed the clowns, so i can try to find them near me?

TY , and please help me with this answering my question. TY

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Friday, October 26, 2012 9:05 AM
Here´s the video with one of the litle ones starting the Meta phase

http://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=i-aRStS5Wtw

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Friday, October 26, 2012 1:07 PM
Good job! Can you get the freeze dried Cyclopeeze? That is an alternative to TDO A. Not the same but it will work. 

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Friday, October 26, 2012 1:11 PM
You mean freeze like minus 15 or 20 degrees celsius? Yes , i think i can put some portios in freezer, is that what you meant?

Shall i freeze in individual doses, that is, freeze several doses with the corret amount to feed each time?

I gave them the cicloppeze today but it floats and they didn´t eat any i think..

Fishtal
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Friday, October 26, 2012 1:14 PM
No, I meant this stuff: 
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+7927+12141&pcatid=12141
Just add a pinch, sprinkle some on the water surface then put your fingers in the water.

Macae fernandes
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Friday, October 26, 2012 1:25 PM
ohh lol... I already had it for an year, but never opened it so i think it´s in good condition.

TY for the help Fishtal

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 40 of 81 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version