Breeding Journal, Species: Gobiodon Citrinus (Citron Clown Gobie)

three fish
  • Total Posts : 82
  • Reward points : 153
Breeding Journal, Species: Gobiodon Citrinus (Citron Clown Gobie) - Saturday, June 30, 2012 10:04 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Gobiodon Citrinus (Citron Clown Gobie)
Social Structure: Single Male Single Female 
Size of Individuals:  2 inches 
Age of Individuals:  2-3 years
Date added to Tank: May 1, 2012 

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: Half of a 10 gallon tank that is part of a 100 gallon central system.
Substrate Details:  Bare bottom with 1.5" PVC couplers and a plastic decoration 
Filtration Details:   4 gallons of bioballs, 50 lbs of LR, PSK 150 Protein skimmer, 25 watt UV, carbon. 
Water Changes: 20 gallons every 2 weeks 
Water Temperature: 80
Lighting:  4' 32 watt Flourescent bulb 
Lighting Cycle: 14 on 10 off. 
Other Tank Inhabitants:  Single Neon Gobie 

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: Blended mix of table shrimp, swordfish, mussel, clam, squid, red and green aglae, brine shrimp, gel krill, Garlic xtreme, Kent Zoe and Zoecon. 
Feeding Schedule:  2 x a day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:   June 5, 2012 
Spawn Time of Day:  Unknown not witnessed 
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: Seems like about every 8 days 
Courtship Details:  Not seen
Egg Size: Very tiny compared to clownfish eggs 
Egg Color: Light yellow at first then darken over 4-5 days. 
Egg Count: Estimate 300 minimum.  They seem to like the top of an 1.5' PVC coupler. 

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description:   
Consecutive Hatch Dates:     

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by three fish on Sunday, July 1, 2012 12:16 AM>

three fish
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Gobiodon Citrinus (Citron Clown Gobie) - Saturday, June 30, 2012 10:14 PM
I obtained this pair from a tank teardown and they were spawning in that tank.  I was told they could be 3+ years old and I don't know how long lived they are.  I need to find a source for SS or S rotifers but I am always open to other options if any exist.  These egss are sure tiny!

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Gobiodon Citrinus (Citron Clown Gobie) - Saturday, June 30, 2012 11:38 PM
Mine always hatched on the night of the 4th day. Good luck! (I'd go with copepods. )

Edit: Sorry. I meant to give you my link: http://www.marinebreeder.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=182&t=5432
<message edited by Umm_fish? on Sunday, July 1, 2012 1:39 AM>
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

three fish
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Gobiodon Citrinus (Citron Clown Gobie) - Sunday, July 1, 2012 9:59 PM
Nice pictures!  So these guys will be a challenge to raise......  I see by the journals here only a couple people have worked with them.  You mention A. Tonsa, that is the copepod species?  Where did you obtain a culture and do you need to raise them on live phyto?  I have been using the pastes from Reed for my rots. 

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Gobiodon Citrinus (Citron Clown Gobie) - Monday, July 2, 2012 7:22 PM
Absolutely. But I didn't have any copepods at the time to try so I never really gave it a good shot.

You can buy starters of several copepod species now from all kinds of places: http://www.marinedepot.com/Liquid_Fish_Coral_Live_Food-FIFDLILV-ct.html. I would likely try Apocyclops right now because I have them, but there are far more options these days. I can raise Apocyclops on an easy dinoflagellate that I feed algae pastes to.

I've tried using the dinoflagellate to culture Parvocalanus, but no dice. The adults live fine on it, but the naups are too small to eat the dino. Sad, as that copepod is one I would love to have in culture.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886