Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (ORA Snowflake)

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 50 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (ORA Snowflake) - Sunday, July 1, 2012 11:38 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet

General
Species:  Amphiprion ocellaris.  Female is "normal", male is "Snowflake".  Both are ORA lineage.
Social Structure:   Breeding pair
Size of Individuals:   Female is 3 1/2", male is 2 1/2".  As of 03/30/13 the fish are 4" and 3" respectively.
Age of Individuals:  Probably born summer/fall 2010.  Owner said she had them for a bit less than a year when I acquired them.
Date added to Tank:   Acquired 03/30/12.

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  10 gallons (20x10x12"), plumbed to 140 gallon system.
Substrate Details:  Light dusting of sand.
Filtration Details:  Central sump.  200 micron filter sock, bioballs, EuroReef RS-180 skimmer.
Water Changes:   Bi-weekly 40% waterchanges, and weekly bottom siphoning.  Try to keep nitrate <25 ppm, but it is often around 40 ppm.
Water Temperature:  80F
Lighting:  12,000K LED lighting roll from eBay.
Lighting Cycle:  14 hours light, 10 hours dark.
Other Tank Inhabitants:  A couple tiny hermits.

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Homemade mash and HBH Super Soft Spirulina pellets mainly.  Also some PE Mysis and TDO EP1.  Occasionally Spirulina Brine Shrimp.
Feeding Schedule:  2-3x per day.

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  Fall of 2011 (different owner).  Spawned 3 times.
Spawn Time of Day:  Midday.
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 
07/01/12.  First spawn for me. 141 undersized eggs, 100 hatched.  This spawn followed egg fostering for spawning trigger.
07/13/12.  165 undersized eggs.  158 hatched, complete loss 2 dph.  Appear to be weak fry.
07/29/12.  752 eggs (counted).
08/12/12.  870 eggs (counted).
08/26/12.  Approx 500-650 (not counted, not observed well)
*I was away from breeding room for the winter*
04/01/13.  1345 eggs (counted).
Courtship Details:  The male does lots of tile cleaning and both fish do "burnouts".  Both fish appear square-like near their vents from ripening eggs and swollen gonads.  The female gets HUGE for a week before spawning.  One to three days before spawning the female's ovipositor will be visible.  A few hours before spawning the male's "spermipositor" will be visible, and the female will take up vicious looking tile cleaning which looks more like tile biting.
Egg Size:  2 mm x 1 mm.  Undersized?   UPDATE:  3.5 mm x 1.5 mm.
Egg Color:  Orange at first, then dark within a couple days, finally silver just before hatch.
Egg Count:  First spawn 141 eggs (number not accurate - troubles with eggs not sticking).

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  About 40-50 hatched 07/10/12.  Another 50-60 hatched the following night.  40 eggs unhatched.
Hatch Time of Day:  Within an hour of lights out.
# Days after Spawn:  10
Larvae Description:   4 mm including the little clear tail fin.  Big head, yellow belly area, and tiny little tails.  Big silver eyes, big mouths.  Larvae move in a fluttering and darting motion.
Consecutive Hatch Dates:     
07/10-11/12.  141 eggs.  100 hatched.  Complete loss 6-7 dph.  Co-cultured w/ Darwin larvae.  Darwin larvae survived.
07/22/12.  165 eggs.  157 hatched.  Complete loss 2 dph.
08/08/12.  750 eggs.  About 600 hatched.  30 or so make 24h post hatch.  8 survivors after meta.
08/21-22/12.  858 hatched, 12 unhatched.  Temp for this hatch and all previous ones was 80F.  Approx 550-600 make 72h post hatch.
08/31/12 to 09/01/12.  Temp was 84F for this hatch.  7-8 dps.  Larvae not retained.
* I was away from the breeding room for the winter. *
04/09/13.  1261 hatched, 76 hatched 04/10 (not retained), 8 unhatched.  Majority hatched on day 9.

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  80-82F
Size of Larval Tank:  5 or 10-gallon aquarium, depending on size of spawn, filled halfway.  Tank volume increased as fish grow.
Substrate Details:  None.
Other Tank Decor: Heater, airstone. 
Filtration Details:  Waterchanges.
Lighting:  Clip on reflector with 13 watt "cool white" spiral compact fluorescent bulb.
Water Changes:   Approx 1-2 dph just bottom siphoning.  Approx 3-10 dph 30% daily waterchanges.  10 dph to transfer 50% daily waterchanges.

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  L-type rotifers (B plicatilus) enriched with N-Rich PL Plus overnight are provided at first 20-30 per mL which are cleared out during the 14 hours of light.  Then rotifers are tapered to 10 per mL once larvae are eating TDO A well (around 8-10 dph) which are cleared out within the first few hours.  Rotifers phased out after metamorphosis.  TDO A introduced lightly a few times per day around 4 dph.  TDO B1 slowly phased in to replace TDO A around 21 dph.
Feeding Schedule:  Rotfiers are constant, TDO fed 3x per day until rotifers are phased out, then TDO phased in 6-8 feedings per day.

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:  08/31/12.
Days after Hatch:  10
Date of Settlement End:  09/03/12.
Description of Fry:  First stripe developing.  Obvious color change from grey/silver to orange.  Swimming motion changes from the larvae flutter to the Clownfish bob/wag.  About 7-9 mm including tail.  Starting to squabble with each other.
Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:  78F
Size of Grow-Out Tank:  20 gallons plumbed into 60 gallon growout system (still to expand).
Substrate Details:  None
Other Tank Decor:  None
Filtration Details:  Central sump with filter sock, bioballs, and Vertex IN-250 skimmer.
Lighting:  Ambient light from other tanks.
Water Changes:   Twice per month 50%.
Size at Transfer:   1/2 to 5/8".
Age at Transfer:  30-40 days.  They aren't transferred until they have been eating TDO B2 for awhile.

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:  TDO B2 starting when some reach 5/8" (30 dph).  TDO C1 starts around 3/4" (50-60 dph).  TDO C2 starts around 1" (100 dph).
Feeding Schedule:  6-10x per day.  Whenever I walk into the room.

Additional Information

On 06/19/12 I gave this pair about 30 eggs from my Darwins' spawn to foster.  This pair took to the eggs right away.  These eggs hatched on 06/27, and this pair spawned their own eggs 07/01 which is right on schedule had the Darwins' eggs been theirs.  Very cool trick!

The eggs from the first spawn (07/01/12) are much smaller than my Darwin eggs.  I had about 40-50 of the 140 hatch out on the 10th night.  I went to bed, and put the tile in the larvae tank to continue hatching.  No more hatched even though the remaining ones look ok.  Since the eggs were small, the larvae were small.  I decided to keep the light on over the first night so this may have caused an interruption in hatching.

Having eggs sticking issues.  Only about 25% of the eggs are sticking to the tile, others fall down and are quickly eaten.  I noticed on the first batch (07/01), and more noticeable on second batch (07/13).  Will increase PE Mysis feedings to provide more chitin.

07/29 spawn seems to have less sticking issues...maybe.  Have been feeding almost exclusively PE Mysis and the HBH Spirulina pellets (for constipation) since 07/15 (14 days).  This spawn was 750 eggs...would have been massive if all the eggs stuck!

Early on I counted rotifers in the larvae tank of the 08/21-22/12 hatch.  I had not counted before, just simply guesstimating.  My guesstimates were waaaaay off!  In previous hatches it is safe to say that for the first week I was providing rotifers at 50-70 per mL, then tapered off to 30 per mL before weaning off rotifers entirely.  08/21-22/12 hatch was the first one to actually be provided a reasonable 20-30 per mL for the first week.  This lower number caused the rotifers to be entirely consumed each day, so enriched rotifer additions were made each morning.  Rotifers enriched overnight with N-Rich PL Plus.
<message edited by EasterEggs on Saturday, April 13, 2013 9:43 AM>
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Sunday, July 1, 2012 11:42 AM
03/31/12.  Day after I got them - needing some fattening up!

06/19/12.  The day I gave them some eggs from my Darwins' spawn. 

06/28/12.  Big fat belly of ripening eggs!  If you look real close you can see her ovipositor.

<message edited by EasterEggs on Sunday, July 1, 2012 1:54 PM>

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Sunday, July 1, 2012 12:16 PM
I've been intermittently watching them spawn for the last hour, and notice that every once in awhile an egg won't stick and the female quickly eats it.  Is that normal?  Kinda makes me think something is lacking in the diet making the eggs less sticky?  Or maybe she isn't very good at laying yet (they bred 3 times last fall for their previous owner, but this is the first time they've bred in my system).  Also, they are much slower at laying than my Darwins.   She has been concerning me over the last couple weeks that she might be a bit egg bound, so maybe she's just struggling to get the eggs out.
<message edited by EasterEggs on Sunday, July 1, 2012 2:17 PM>

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Monday, July 2, 2012 9:00 AM
Before they spawned I was worried the female might be egg bound or constipated.  Her belly looked distended near her vent, and when her ovipositor was out it seemed like there was some other flesh (bowels?) accompanying it.  After spawning, her belly is still fairly big looking although her vent area is clean now (nothing sticking out), her vent area still looks distended.  I'm still worried about her, but I am relieved that she spawned.  I put her on a PE Mysis only diet yesterday (she hasn't eaten much for the last 2 days) in hopes the oils and roughage will help.  The greyish area above her belly has been like that as long as I've had her although it became much darker about a week after I got her.  You can see it just barely in the very first photo I posted of her above.  Comments welcome! 

Yesterday, just after spawning:

This morning:

<message edited by EasterEggs on Monday, July 2, 2012 11:02 AM>

rrcg50
  • Total Posts : 51
  • Reward points : 61
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Sunday, July 8, 2012 8:26 AM
Looks like she is either egg bound or has a blockage of some type. Bruising around the lower abdomen is not a good sign

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Sunday, July 8, 2012 9:41 AM
Yeah, she's had that discoloration for weeks.  I've been feeding her lots of Mysis and Brine Shrimp trying to get more roughage into her.  She doesn't care for Mysis though.  The eggs she laid are really small, and aren't developing very fast.

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Sunday, July 8, 2012 7:32 PM
Vegetable matter might help with the constipation.  I would try something with spirulina.
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

rrcg50
  • Total Posts : 51
  • Reward points : 61
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Sunday, July 8, 2012 8:48 PM
I would use spirulina as suggested and maybe try some praziquantel to see if it's worms

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Monday, July 9, 2012 2:15 PM
My Clowns hate algae in their food.  Hmm...I don't have any spirulina, but I do have nori so I will try to get some powdered nori into her food.  I have some PraziPro medicated food on hand (made it myself), so I will try that too.  Many of my fish won't eat the Prazi food though, so I may have to isolate the tank and treat the water.

You guys really think that is bruising?  Here I thought she had a color anomaly.
<message edited by EasterEggs on Monday, July 9, 2012 4:43 PM>

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Wednesday, July 11, 2012 3:23 PM
The eggs from the first spawn (07/01/12) are much smaller than my Darwin eggs.  I had about 40-50 of the 140 hatch out lastnight (10th day).  I went to bed, and put the tile in the larvae tank to continue hatching.  No more hatched even though the remaining ones look ok.  Since the eggs were small, the larvae were small.  I decided to keep the light on over the first night to help give the small larvae a boost so this may have caused an interruption in hatching.  I am co-culturing this batch with a batch of Darwins that hatched 07/09/12.

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Monday, July 16, 2012 4:58 PM
They spawned again 07/13.  The eggs were really having difficulty sticking to the tile, with only about 25-35% sticking to the tile.  The rest fell down as they were laid and promptly eaten.  So after asking here on the MBI forums, and looking in some books it seems the female must be lacking chitin in her diet, so I will feed her PE Mysis more often so she can get the chitin from the shells of the mysis.  My next batch of homemade food I will be sure to finely blend up the shells of the white shrimp and add them back in.

The female's belly is looking slightly better, although not perfect.  I am waiting on some HBH Spirulina pellets to show up in the next couple days, and hoping she will eat those.

Their batch of larvae are now 6 and 7 days old.  There was a huge die-off (as usual...have to figure out why) of babies yesterday.  It appears that it was mostly the 8-9 days old Darwin babies that succumbed, not the Ocellaris.  I suspect that it may be a rotifer bloom to cause fatal low oxygen.

EDIT:  Later on it was apparent there were no orange Ocellaris in the mixed batch, just Darwins.  It seems the large die-off included (but may not have been limited to) all of the orange Ocellaris larvae.
<message edited by EasterEggs on Monday, August 6, 2012 5:36 PM>

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:46 PM
Please help me figure out the cause of the large die-off.  It helps with population control, but it would be nice to have more babies to choose from come cull time!

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Monday, July 30, 2012 6:28 PM
This pair spawned a beautiful nest on the 29th with 300+ eggs.  [edit: 752 eggs]  Although I missed most of the spawning ritual this time, I saw there were still some eggs not sticking, but it appears the stickiness is much improved simply by the numbers of eggs on the tile.  Either the eggs are sticking better or the female is releasing more eggs.  I'm not sure.  She is still having troubles with a bulging belly; egg binding or constipation I'm still not sure, but she is getting tonnes of algae pellets just in case.

If someone could add some input into the sudden deaths of the larvae though please speak up!  I would like to raise the majority of this batch.  I'm thinking the small egg size might be hatching out small, weak larvae.  I'm thinking the bulging belly (whatever the cause) may be exacerbating the problem.  Ideas?

July 29 spawn.  I can't seem to get good photos of the eggs since the eggs are always on the shady side of the tile of course, and I believe using the flash could harm the eggs?  Maybe not until they have eyes though...?

<message edited by EasterEggs on Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:18 AM>

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Monday, August 6, 2012 1:53 PM
So apparently I am horrible at guesstimating the number of eggs!  In previous spawns they were small enough I could fairly easily count them when I removed the eggs to hatch.  I just counted using the "dot method" and came up with 752 eggs!  Having said that, there was lots of shadowing in the photo so I may have slightly over counted.  There may actually be closer to 700 eggs.  Either way, pretty good sized spawn for an Ocellaris I think! 

I pulled the eggs yesterday having had a blonde moment for like a whole day.  I shouldn't have pulled them until tomorrow.  Although they look developed enough today that they might hatch tonight.  These eggs have been hatched on the 10th day after spawn (consider the day they are laid as day 1) which seems awfully slow to me (80-81F).

I have so far had ZERO luck getting these guys to settlement...not sure why.  Still wondering if the eggs are under-sized/under-developed.  Makes me wonder if this slow development is what is causing my trouble getting them to settlement.  Or do "fancy" Ocellaris typically take longer to develop?  No one is chiming in for me (hint hint!). 
Here are the eggs on Aug 5 from the same spawn as the above photo (8dph):

<message edited by EasterEggs on Monday, August 6, 2012 3:55 PM>

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Monday, August 20, 2012 12:20 PM
NICE headcount

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Monday, August 20, 2012 7:28 PM
Thanks Matt!  Too bad I'm not having any luck raising the larvae!

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:22 PM
These guys are hatching tonight (photo from last night).  I counted 870 with the dots, but managed to lose the dots somehow and I'm not doing it again!     They are still having some egg sticking issues; I wouldn't be surprised if she is laying close to 1000 eggs.

The eggs are soaking in H2O2 right now. This time I'm using about 10 mL in 1L of tank water.  The larvae tank had chlorine bleach circulating for 24 hours at the rate of 1mL per gallon.  The larvae tank is filled to about 8 gallons.  I'm going to try using live Tetraselmis for greenwater this time.

Broodstock tanks are now bumped up to 82F.

<message edited by EasterEggs on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:27 PM>

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:12 PM
The above batch was 870 eggs and this is what was left yesterday morning:

Here is what was left this morning:

Finally I have lots of swimmers, so I'm hoping I finally have a strong batch.  I will be walking on eggshells for the next few days hoping this batch will bring me some success.  Yeserday evening I vacuumed up probably about 125-175 dead larvae which is much, much less than usual.  Since these keep hatching over 2 nights, I was worried I would be siphoning out a bunch more this evening, but there were only another 20 or so.

<message edited by EasterEggs on Sunday, August 26, 2012 8:34 PM>

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Saturday, August 25, 2012 8:58 AM
Wow, this batch is doing really well.  I keep forgetting there were almost 900 eggs (I have the 750 number from the last batch stuck in my head).  Considering this, and the fact that I have collected only 200 dead larvae (I counted), although I imagine there are disintegrated ones that I am unable to count when I siphon them out, so say another 100, I still have probably close to 550 larvae or so.  Indeed, the water is teeming with larvae.  Most of the larvae have big, bulging bellies too.

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Sunday, August 26, 2012 6:10 PM
Well the August 8th batch (with 5 survivors) is finally in meta.  They are 19 dph, and meta didn't start until a couple days ago.  Slooooow.  I guess that follows the pattern of slow to hatch, slow to meta.  I'm liking what I see though!  I can see the first stripe on 4 of them, but two of those are very faint still.  Of the two I can make out the white well on, they both have excessive white on the tops of their heads.  So that's a good sign that there will be Snowflakes out of this pair. 

<message edited by EasterEggs on Sunday, August 26, 2012 8:23 PM>

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Sunday, September 2, 2012 11:12 AM
The 08/21-22 batch had the first few starting meta on Aug 31st, with the majority of the batch starting meta on Sept 1st.
<message edited by EasterEggs on Wednesday, September 19, 2012 5:32 PM>

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Saturday, September 8, 2012 9:41 AM
The 08/21-22 batch is starting to get second striping.  I notice the Snowflake colored larvae develop their white faster than the normal colored larvae.  They grow faster too, and got to meta faster.  This batch is growing faster than my Darwin typically grow.  This batch is quite a bit bigger than a Darwin batch that is a few days older.

<message edited by EasterEggs on Saturday, September 8, 2012 11:42 AM>

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Wednesday, September 19, 2012 5:55 PM
Here is the 08/21-22 batch that is 29-30 days old today.

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:09 PM
Here are pics of the 08/21-22 batch (8 weeks old today).  There are lots of Darwins in the tank too that are actually 3 days older than the Snowflakes/Occys, but look how much bigger the Snowflakes/Occys are!  I also notice the Darwin are quite shy where the Snowflake/Occys are very, very friendly.

CableGuy
  • Total Posts : 591
  • Reward points : 731
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:27 PM
Are ORA snowflake 100% Ocellaris?
-Adam

oceancube
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 107
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Tuesday, October 16, 2012 10:36 PM
looking good keep up the good work~

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:24 PM
Adam, as far as I know ORA Snowflake are 100% Ocellaris.  If someone knows otherwise, please pipe up! 

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Saturday, December 1, 2012 1:36 PM
Well, today I sorted all the babies out and did some long overdue culling.  The 08/21-22 batch is 102-103 days post hatch today and 89-90 days post settlement.  I culled all misbars (a few managed to get into the "keeper" tank), flared gills, and bent backs.  Interestingly, there were no culled Snowflakes - they all had white connecting under their bellies and under their tails, none had bent backs, and none had flared gills.  The Snowflakes are also showing very strong blue coloring along with edges of their white.  I was not able to pick this up on my camera very well though.  You can kind of see the blue on the fish in my hand.

I moved all the "normal" Occelaris in with my Darwins hoping the Occys will help make the Darwins feed better since the Darwins are soooo shy.  I put all the Snowflakes into their own tank. 

mmoner
  • Total Posts : 114
  • Reward points : 242
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Friday, December 21, 2012 3:05 AM
What is the snowflake ratio in "Ocellaris x snowflake" engagement?

"SF x SF" would be 100% SF right?

Thanks,

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Saturday, December 22, 2012 3:38 PM
My understand is:

Snowflake x "normal" = 50% Snowflake
Snowflake x Snowflake = 100% Snowflake

My pair indeed produce about 50% Snowflake.

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Monday, December 24, 2012 1:03 AM
I have heard of problems with Snow X Snow from Mike Hoang, eg. no snow, no viables etc...

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Monday, December 24, 2012 11:45 AM
^  That would be frustrating!

mmoner
  • Total Posts : 114
  • Reward points : 242
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Tuesday, December 25, 2012 2:24 AM
That's interesting , but they give %100 snowflakes at the beginning right? (SFxSF)

Maybe these % changes occur in time you mean? or they might not make SF ever at all?

Thanks,

joebean
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Reward points : 357
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Thursday, December 27, 2012 2:49 AM
I get the same percentage of snowflake about 50% with my normal ocellaris female with a male black ice snowflake
They are 1 month old now and looking good but I cannot spot any premium snowflakes yet (bars connecting).
At how old did you see them appear in your batches ?

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Thursday, December 27, 2012 11:46 AM
^  They were easily recognizable by the 30 day photo above, but the white seemed to expand a sniff all the way to about 45 days.  I don't have very many premiums either.  The male is not a premium, though I'm not sure that would affect coloring hugely.  I think it's more like the Snowflake gene is either there or it isn't.

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Sunday, March 24, 2013 5:49 PM
So I did some counting.  Albeit, I have had many, many jumpers (dang fish sitters).  In this one batch the following is what I came up with:

50% Snowflake (20% of the Snowflakes are Premium, 2% are Extreme)
25% Normal bars
25% Misbars

Also, as noted right from the beginning, generally the fish with more white grow much faster.  The nicest Snowflakes are easily covering 2", where the normal barred fish are mostly around 1-1.25".
<message edited by EasterEggs on Monday, March 25, 2013 5:22 PM>

EasterEggs
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Monday, April 1, 2013 10:08 PM
The last batch hatched Mar 30th, and the female was nearly BURSTING with eggs yesterday and today.  I was still surprised to see a spawn today already, and a big one at that.  I did a head count for fun.  1345 eggs!!!

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Monday, April 1, 2013 10:20 PM
Holy cow!
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Tuesday, April 2, 2013 8:41 AM
Wow, what are you feeding those fish?
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

Marinesciencemaniac
  • Total Posts : 81
  • Reward points : 134
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (Fancy) - Tuesday, April 2, 2013 8:41 AM
Wow!!! I think that that is a lot of eggs that they laid there. 
Glad to see you have had more success than when you first started with this pair.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 50 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version