Clarkii clowns

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Scores: 22
  • Reward points : 446
Clarkii clowns - Monday, July 9, 2012 11:21 AM
I have a pair of ORA clarkiis. They've been together doing great, then last week one started beating the crap out of the other. I had to end up putting the aggressor into a net, but still in the tank with the other.

Are they really that aggressive? Why just now? I've had them a couple of months and don't know why it just now started to happen.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Barelycuda
  • Total Posts : 186
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 829
Re:Clarkii clowns - Monday, July 9, 2012 12:30 PM
Were they purchased as juveniles?  If so the aggressor may be changing to female and establishing dominance.  I personally don't feel that they are all that aggressive.  I have several pairs that are more aggressive than my clarkii's.

rgrking
Re:Clarkii clowns - Monday, July 9, 2012 12:33 PM
They were about 1.5". I wouldn't say juveniles. They were paired by ORA so I just assumed that they were already matched up. I guess I need to just put them in a larger tank and hope for the best!
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Clarkii clowns - Monday, July 9, 2012 2:00 PM
Try adding some hiding places, 2" PVC cut into 10" sections works well for me.  The longer length gives the victim (hehe) a chance to see the other one coming.  Tile lean-to 's work well too.
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

rgrking
Re:Clarkii clowns - Monday, July 9, 2012 3:33 PM
I have tiles in there. I have a sponge filter, and found the abused under that.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Clarkii clowns - Monday, July 9, 2012 3:35 PM
Best to add more hiding spots if he's diving under the sponge filter!  Poor lil fella!
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

rgrking
Re:Clarkii clowns - Monday, July 9, 2012 3:37 PM
I've got to make a run to Lowes anyway. I'll pick up some pipe. Thanks!
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

rgrking
Re:Clarkii clowns - Sunday, July 22, 2012 9:03 AM
I added 2" pipe. She still beat him  to almost death. I separated them, and put the male in a net, but still inside the tank with the female. I let him recover for a few days and put him back. She did it again, so now he's in the net box again. I have them in a 10g tank. I just set up a 20 breeder. Do you think it would be better for them?

I'll have to let it cycle and run its course. It's only been up a few days.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef