Controlling Aggression in White Stripe Maroon Juveniles

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Controlling Aggression in White Stripe Maroon Juveniles - Saturday, July 14, 2012 9:41 AM
Alrighty folks, I have my own ideas but this is one of those times I'd like to push them aside and just ask all of you - for those of you who've spawned and reared white stripe maroon clownfish (Premnas biaculeatus) , what techniques have you found for minimizing / controlling aggression in the offspring?  The Lightning Maroon babies have been fighting basically since the moment they settled.

Zooid
  • Total Posts : 182
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 282
Re:Controlling Aggression in White Stripe Maroon Juveniles - Saturday, July 14, 2012 10:01 AM
LOL....I told you they were mean muthas.
I haven't tried this with white stripe maroons but I have put in several PVC fittings in the tank to provide hiding spots for black and white ocellaris clowns (probably the second meanest fish I've raised ).

wdt
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Reward points : 321
Re:Controlling Aggression in White Stripe Maroon Juveniles - Saturday, July 14, 2012 11:45 AM
Crowd them so they cannot find the weakest link. I have also found adding pipes or fake anemones makes it worse. This is for offspring from gold strip parents.  That said I expect a few deaths in grow out from aggression, less than 1%.

Or give the ones you want to keep a lot of space with many tank decorations. I think a 29 with 20 or so fish would work. I can give it a try if you would like I have some that are in the .25-.5" range.
<message edited by wdt on Saturday, July 14, 2012 2:00 PM>

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Scores: 22
  • Reward points : 446
Re:Controlling Aggression in White Stripe Maroon Juveniles - Saturday, July 14, 2012 4:45 PM
Can you separate them to another tank?
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

mPedersen
Re:Controlling Aggression in White Stripe Maroon Juveniles - Saturday, July 14, 2012 5:06 PM
rgr, placing individual fish in individual tanks becomes the plan when the fish get older...of course this means having easily 50, but possibly hundreds, of small isolation tanks at your disposal.  But when the fish are only a couple weeks old, or if you dont' have hundreds of isolation cases?

patent
  • Total Posts : 67
  • Reward points : 843
Re:Controlling Aggression in White Stripe Maroon Juveniles - Saturday, July 14, 2012 5:45 PM
I've had a couple batches moving along, and they basically fight like mad all the time, but I haven't had much in losses (if any) since they passed 30 day.  I tend to think that distributed aggression isn't as bad, so I tend to agree with having lots, but that said, the dominant half dozen or so seem to demand that they have a space all to themselves so I'd think overcrowding could be a real issue.

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Scores: 22
  • Reward points : 446
Re:Controlling Aggression in White Stripe Maroon Juveniles - Saturday, July 14, 2012 11:35 PM
Perhaps just placing 10-20 or what ever number you think would work in different tanks, if available. It would give them all more room, and hopefully ease them up a bit. I've wanted a nice pare of maroons, but after hearing how mean they are, I still do!!!!
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Sylvio
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 647
Re:Controlling Aggression in White Stripe Maroon Juveniles - Sunday, July 15, 2012 12:41 AM
Quote Originally Posted by mPedersen

Alrighty folks, I have my own ideas but this is one of those times I'd like to push them aside and just ask all of you - for those of you who've spawned and reared white stripe maroon clownfish (Premnas biaculeatus) , what techniques have you found for minimizing / controlling aggression in the offspring?  The Lightning Maroon babies have been fighting basically since the moment they settled.

Hallo

Die besten Erfahrungen habe ich gemacht wenn man die kleinen Premnas wenn sie sich zu sehr 
streiten auf andere Zuchtbecken aufteilt so werden die Aggressionen verteilt .
Ich setze sie dann immer zu kleinen schwarzen.

http://youtu.be/9OrZ80VvPko

Ich werden mal suchen ob ich noch bessere Bilder finde.

MfG Sylvio
<message edited by Sylvio on Sunday, July 15, 2012 6:44 AM>

Sylvio
Re:Controlling Aggression in White Stripe Maroon Juveniles - Sunday, July 15, 2012 5:00 AM
eine Vermischung vieler arten verteilt die Agression

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBU0f_cldeU&feature=youtu.be

MfG Sylvio

<message edited by Sylvio on Sunday, July 15, 2012 7:01 AM>

fin farm
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Reward points : 980
Re:Controlling Aggression in White Stripe Maroon Juveniles - Sunday, July 15, 2012 7:55 AM
I like to mix them in with twice as many ocellaris that are larger

Duck
  • Total Posts : 466
  • Scores: 8
  • Reward points : 465
Re:Controlling Aggression in White Stripe Maroon Juveniles - Sunday, July 15, 2012 6:43 PM
I've used large plastic plants with gsm's Matt. It does create some territorial issues, but provides cover and breaks up the view across the tank. I use a very large plant that takes up about a third of the tank.

mPedersen
Re:Controlling Aggression in White Stripe Maroon Juveniles - Sunday, July 15, 2012 7:20 PM
Danke Sylvio - das sind einige wirklich interessante Setups und es scheint, wie Aggression ist etwas unter Kontrolle. Ich bin neugierig - die stark markiert / beraubt / gesichtet Maroon Clownfish - haben Sie schon viele so? Sind sie Goldstreifen Maroons, oder weiße Streifen?

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Controlling Aggression in White Stripe Maroon Juveniles - Sunday, July 15, 2012 7:34 PM
Kauderwelsch...! 
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

Sylvio
Re:Controlling Aggression in White Stripe Maroon Juveniles - Sunday, July 15, 2012 9:18 PM
Quote Originally Posted by mPedersen

Danke Sylvio - das sind einige wirklich interessante Setups und es scheint, wie Aggression ist etwas unter Kontrolle. Ich bin neugierig - die stark markiert / beraubt / gesichtet Maroon Clownfish - haben Sie schon viele so? Sind sie Goldstreifen Maroons, oder weiße Streifen?

Hi
Es sind Goldstreifen ,ich züchte aber nicht viel davon da sie sich in Deutschland schlecht verkaufen lassen.
Die Fehlzeichnungen lassen sich ganz leicht über die Wasser Qualität steuern.

MfG Sylvio