Ocellaris issues

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Scores: 22
  • Reward points : 446
Ocellaris issues - Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:58 AM
I've had my ocellaris pair for years now. They have always produced very well, however the last few months the eggs have been disappearing. By the day after they spawn, there is maybe 25% of the eggs left.

They are in my DT. There is an anemone next to the tile the spawn on. It's wedged down into the sand, and also on a side it is touching some of the rock.

I see the male tending to the eggs, but I haven't seen him actually eat any while I was watching.  The female also tends the eggs, but obviously not as much. Haven't seen her take any eggs off as well.

Any ideas on what's going on? There's bristle worms and the such, but haven't seen any around the rocks where the tile is located.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:Ocellaris issues - Thursday, July 26, 2012 11:27 AM
Do they disappear during daylight hours or at night?

rgrking
Re:Ocellaris issues - Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:07 PM
From what I can tell, it's at night after lights out.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

eldouble
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 77
Re:Ocellaris issues - Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:20 PM
I doubt its bristle worms.  I had a pair in a tank over run by bristles and they always had a ton of eggs make it to hatch.  What other fish are in there?

Miles

rgrking
Re:Ocellaris issues - Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:50 PM
two tangs. a six line wrasse. two yellow tail damsels. a domino damsel. queen angel. several peppermint shrimp. one harlequin shrimp. different types of snails.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

rgrking
Re:Ocellaris issues - Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:51 PM
I hate to take them out of the DT with the nem in there, and them being in there for years. I'm afraid it's going to mess them up to much. Perhaps when I get my new led's I can try to move the nem and clowns to a different tank.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:Ocellaris issues - Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:16 PM
Maybe the peppermints are snatching some. I also thought I read somewhere about certain snails eating them. I think it's time for a stakeout! Or set up a video camera and see what happens in the 3/4 hours of recording time.

rgrking
Re:Ocellaris issues - Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:35 PM
hmm I might have to. I have a 20 long cycling right now. I might transfer them when it gets done.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef