Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus plicatilis

eldouble
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Reward points : 77
Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus plicatilis - Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:27 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Brachionus plicatilis  
Species description:  Rotifers
Culture source (link if possible):  Reed Mariculture
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  7/25/12
Continuation Date: 

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.022
Temperature:    80
pH:  8

Vessel description:  5 gallon bucket
Lighting description:  ambient
Lighting cycle:  16 on, 8 off
Aeration description:  rigid airline, moderate airation

Methodologies
Split methodology:   I took 500ml of the first culture to start a second culture. 

Culture medium description: 
RGcomplete from Reed MAriculture.  Tint the water until I can not see the bottom of the vessel.
Cell count:
Unknown           

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by eldouble on Friday, July 27, 2012 8:14 AM>

eldouble
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus plicatilis - Friday, July 27, 2012 6:11 AM
After 24 hrs of adding water to the original 500ml culture to make about 4 gallons, I  added about 500ml of that to start a new culture.

eldouble
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus plicatilis - Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:14 AM
I added 3 2L bottles just in case a bucket crashes... and good thing.  One bucket did crash.  But its back producing after a restart from the others.  I've had a lot of issues with the RGComplete precipitating and/or clumping.  I have it boiling pretty good, so aeration is not the issue.  All the cultures do it.  But not when I use the Nano3600.  That being said, I've produced more rots at greater densities than ever.  I just have to clean/relpace the culture vessels more frequently.

Miles