Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus

CaptCrash
  • Total Posts : 649
  • Reward points : 1278
Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus - Saturday, August 11, 2012 1:40 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Amphiprion rubrocinctus
Social Structure:  Pair
Size of Individuals:  4.5" female, 4" male
Age of Individuals:  Unknown
Date added to Tank:  08/11/2012

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: Breeding setup approx 1000L total. Tank 380x610x390mm 67L 17.5US Gal
Substrate Details:
None
Filtration Details:
Skimmer, UV, Macro Algae, Live Rock, Carbon, GFO and ATS
Water Changes:
100L Fortnight
Water Temperature:
27C
Lighting:
Power Compact
Lighting Cycle:
7am to 7:45pm
Other Tank Inhabitants:
None

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: Spectrum Thera A+, Spectrum Salt H20 flakes, Enriched Brine Shrimp, Marine Green, Home Made Mash (prawn, pipi clam, white bait, squid, garlic, norrie etc). Occasional live brine shrimp
Feeding Schedule: Morning and night. Pellets followed 10 minutes later with defrosted frozen food.

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  10/1/2012
Spawn Time of Day:  Unknown
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  2/28/15, 5/4/2015 for settlement report   
Courtship Details:  Some cleaning, but mostly chasing/attacking the glass if you come near
Egg Size:  2mm
Egg Color:  orange
Egg Count:  150+

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  5/13/2015 (spawned 5/4/2015)
Hatch Time of Day:  10pm
# Days after Spawn:  8
Larvae Description:    Small clear fry with two dark eyes and slightly red belly.  Approx 2-3mm long
Consecutive Hatch Dates:   approx 14-16 days

Larval Tank Details 
Temperature:  26C  
Size of Larval Tank:  20L for first 5 days, upgraded to 50L there after  
Substrate Details:  None  
Other Tank Decor:  Heater  
Filtration Details:  water change and air stone  
Lighting:  Power Compact  
Lighting Cycle:  6am to 10pm  
Water Changes:  50% every 3 days or as required  

Larval Feeding Details 
Food Types:  Rotifers raised on Reed Rotifer Diet. Greenwater acheived by tinting the water with Reed Nannocholoropsis, about 2ml, and 1ml of AmGuard for ammonia control daily.   NHBBS
Feeding Schedule:  morning, afternoon and night  

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:  5/21/2015
Days after Hatch:  9
Date of Settlement End: 5/22/2015      
Description of Fry:  Typical clown fish behavior as fry, once settled they are darker than most other clowns other than clarkii.  Two bands are evident on all of the fish today (5/2215), with the head band easy to identify, the tail band is visible on most fish. 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

Additional Spawns: 
S = Date of Spawn 
H = Date of Hatch 
S 8/24/2013
S 2/19/2014
S 2/28/2015
S 5/4/2015
H 5/13/2015
S 2015/09/27

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by CaptCrash on Monday, September 28, 2015 1:12 AM>

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus - Friday, October 5, 2012 1:17 AM
Female

Male

Normal positions

First nest in my care

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus - Friday, October 5, 2012 1:23 AM
Woot!
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus - Friday, October 5, 2012 4:13 PM
Question, how do you know these to be A. rubrocinctus and not some other species (they look like A. frenatus to me - don't match the Rubrocinctus I've ever seen)

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus - Saturday, October 6, 2012 8:06 AM
Sorry, matt but I disagree with them looking like A. frenatus.  The A. frenatus I have are quite light through the body with dark patches towards to top half of the fish.  I think these fish do look quite similar to the pair of A.melanopus I have, however there are differences.

Do you know if there is significant colour differences with A. frentas within their range.  The reason I ask is fish base lists them as sometimes darkening with age and Im wondering if this is what you are thinking of.

In the case of this pair, they were purchased from a local breeder who has now stopped breeding (gpsmart here on mbi, mofib and masa.asn.au).  He had them identified as A. rubrocinctus with Western Australian colouration.  I believe he purchased them from a collector from northern Western Australia.

This all fits in with the the information in http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Amphiprion-rubrocinctus.html and the following image http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?enlarge=0000+0000+1200+0141.

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus - Saturday, October 6, 2012 8:28 AM
Some pics of my pairs

Amphiprion frenatus

Parents

Female

Male

Amphiprion melanopus

Adults
Parents

Juvenile

Ill try to get some less rubbish photos (not from a phone) for all three species, this may make it a little more clear.

mPedersen
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus - Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:33 PM
Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash

Do you know if there is significant colour differences with A. frentas within their range.  The reason I ask is fish base lists them as sometimes darkening with age and Im wondering if this is what you are thinking of.

A. frenatus is variable, as is A. melanopus, both within a population but also from a geographic standpoint.  

Quote Originally Posted by
In the case of this pair, they were purchased from a local breeder who has now stopped breeding (gpsmart here on mbi, mofib and masa.asn.au).  He had them identified as A. rubrocinctus with Western Australian colouration.  I believe he purchased them from a collector from northern Western Australia.

If they were KNOWN to be wild caught in the right spot, then yes, they must be Rubrocinctus.  However, if they were not, or if there was any doubt, their ID would be quite questionable given the whole A. barberi situation PLUS the fact that fish from NW Australia just really aren't collected much at all.

http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?seq_num=27076&one=T - note that it's shot at the national aquarium in Washington DC.  I hate to say it, but if it came to the aquarium through the normal aquarium chain of custody, I'd fear it's ID to be highly suspect. There are frenatus that look no different than the fish depicted.  

That said, the image shown at  http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Amphiprion-rubrocinctus.html is directly attributed to a location that can only be A. rubrocinctus, and as such, it fits well.  But I wouldn't use the "darkness" as a sole indicator of species...coloration changes.

I would, if you could, simply confirm the provenance of these fish so instead of saying you "believe" something, you can say you "definitively KNOW" something.  Because frankly, to KNOW you have true Rubrocinctus that are breeding would be a really valuable thing from a biodiversity standpoint.

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus - Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:26 PM
Keep in mind that in Perth, it is common to have fish collected from North Western Australia.
It's one of the closest reefs where collectors collect from and the two major local LFS are distributors and exporters of fish and corals.

In general unless I have hard evidence, I will say that I believe something rather than I know. This is simply because it is what I am convinced about. In this case there is reasonable difference between the fish and I'm comfortable with the info I have been provided at this time.

I'll see what additional information I can find out.

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus - Friday, October 12, 2012 8:01 AM
I have been able to confirm with the previous owner and then the collector that this pair were indeed caught in northern Western Australia.  The collector would not give me the specific location, but said it was between Broome and Geraldton.
As the only native "tomato" complex in the area they were caught is Amphiprion rubrocinctus, there is no question as to their identity.

(I suppose, if they were really good swimmers they may have done a finding nemo trip, from indonesia but its extremely unlikely ).

JC Clownfish
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Reward points : 188
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus - Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:23 AM
i want a pair of thoes with the yellow and white nice very cool

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus - Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:18 PM
They are definitely stunning fish!
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

JC Clownfish
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Reward points : 188
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus - Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:32 AM
ya they are they would look eaven better in my reef tank haha

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus - Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:18 AM
They sure are pretty.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus - Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:13 AM
I know where you can get a few (I have about 300ish in total)
They actually sell really well here, much better than the melanopus and frentas.

mPedersen
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus - Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:16 PM
Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash

I have been able to confirm with the previous owner and then the collector that this pair were indeed caught in northern Western Australia.  The collector would not give me the specific location, but said it was between Broome and Geraldton.
As the only native "tomato" complex in the area they were caught is Amphiprion rubrocinctus, there is no question as to their identity.

Awesome news to hear.  Sad that he won't give you a real specific provenance, but that's understandable for competitive reasons!!!

mPedersen
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus - Wednesday, July 9, 2014 3:39 PM
So did you get any progress with these guys?  Rear any?  I'm eager to see some reports!

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus - Wednesday, July 9, 2014 10:27 PM
Yes I did do a batch, for some reason I didn't do any reports though. Not sure why.

The pair lays intermittently, only really well when the temp is higher in summer.
I'll do another batch soon and document.
Stay up to date with my breeding efforts:
Regal Tang RegalTangBreeding
Mccullochi Clownfish MccullochiClownfishBreeding 

mPedersen
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus - Thursday, July 10, 2014 2:50 AM
SWEET.  Now I just need to find a way for you to export some to the US...I don't think we have this species in the trade at all.

mPedersen
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus - Monday, January 5, 2015 12:23 AM
Any updated photos of the Rubrocinctus?  Any you'd be willing to let me use in my next clownfish species installment over at Reef2Rainforest.com?  This one is proving to be the hardest...I'm trying to find it anywhere just so I can actually have it in the US...I'm 99.99% sure that it is NOT here at all, save one or two in a public institution.

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus - Thursday, May 14, 2015 9:30 PM
Photos for hatch report
Approx 150 fry were collected from a nest of 300ish (quite a lot of dead on the bottom of the tank and fry collector).

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion rubrocinctus - Friday, May 22, 2015 3:05 AM
All fish finished settlement today, about 30 left in total.  I had a big die off on day 1 and 2.

Photos for settlement report with NHBBS

<message edited by CaptCrash on Friday, May 22, 2015 7:28 AM>