New bangaii added to tank...Good signs or bad signs?

AusMatt
  • Total Posts : 44
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 40
New bangaii added to tank...Good signs or bad signs? - Saturday, September 29, 2012 12:44 AM
Hi all,

I have just added another bangaii to my 70 litre tank with my male bangaii. At the shop it looked as thou the whole lot of them were male until I looked a bit harder and found one that looked different. I decided just to go for it and see what happens.

Since I added the new bangaii both of them have been together or very close. My male occasionally flares his mouth e.g. He expands his mouth so that it looks as though it is full of eggs.

I was wondering if this is a good sign and whether there is normally fighting when a new bangaii is first added as a dominance thing?

The new bangaii is not retaliating in any way. She (hopefully!) is just minding her own business.

Would really appreciate quick responses as if they are fighting for real than I will remove the new bangaii and put it in my big tank.

Cheers,

Matt

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:New bangaii added to tank...Good signs or bad signs? - Saturday, September 29, 2012 6:17 AM
I would say you might be ok. Really keep a close eye on them. If you get worried you can put one in a breeder net. Feed them really well to get their abdomens extended and see if you can sex them via the vent method. There is a good thread on it here if you search. Also wanted to throw out the obligatory warning on QT. You are really putting your existing fish at risk!

AusMatt
Re:New bangaii added to tank...Good signs or bad signs? - Saturday, September 29, 2012 6:54 AM
Thanks

So far the fighting has continued only for a very short period of time.

They are now swimming together in the darkness as the lights have gone off for the night

Fingers crossed for the best.

Yeah I will get a breeder net if I get really worried.

I understand the need for QT and I am disappointed in myself for not remembering the risks before adding the fish. My LFS has very good QT procedures though so hopefully I am alright

Will keep an eye on them and will keep you posted.

Will feed them up and get their bellies plump in the morning to try and sex them Fingers crossed I have a pair! Otherwise I will be shattered! Have tried so many times and spent countless dollars on trying to get bangaiis to pair up. This will probably be one of my last attempts unless I can find a proven breeding pair or have the guts, knowledge and money to give it another crack.

Cheers,

Matt
<message edited by AusMatt on Saturday, September 29, 2012 8:55 AM>

AusMatt
Re:New bangaii added to tank...Good signs or bad signs? - Saturday, September 29, 2012 7:46 AM
The Male is chasing the new bangaii a lot more now.

Is this normal pairing behaviour?

Or should I remove the new bangaii? I am scared to let it stay the night with the male if they are fighting with each other because I really dont want another bangaii to die on my watch!

Thanks,

Matt

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:New bangaii added to tank...Good signs or bad signs? - Saturday, September 29, 2012 8:57 AM
I don't have a lot of direct experience with that because I always knew the sex of the ones I was pairing but I did have lots of trouble with aggression even among those. One pair spawned and then the male months later killed the female. I replaced it with a female from a club member who had them spawn several times but she suddenly killed the male. Go figure! If you are nervous, put the established one in a breeder net and see if they settle down.

AusMatt
Re:New bangaii added to tank...Good signs or bad signs? - Saturday, September 29, 2012 5:07 PM
Thanks waldend.

Might go grab a breeders net today if it continues.

Cheers for your help,

Matt

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:New bangaii added to tank...Good signs or bad signs? - Saturday, September 29, 2012 5:22 PM
Keep an eye on them for sure and try a net. If they fight again after letting out of the net then you probably have a same sex pair.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

AusMatt
Re:New bangaii added to tank...Good signs or bad signs? - Saturday, September 29, 2012 6:30 PM
Thanks Fishtal.
This morning when I woke up and the lights were off the new bangaii was at the top of the tank in the far corner hardly moving. When the lights went on she swam out to the front though but she is hiding as we speak.
Every now and then my male will sit next to her on the sand in a corner of the tank.
Some times they are swimming side by side and then bang the male starts going mad and chases her around the tank?? Weird!
I really hope that I dont have a same sex pair but it wouldnt be the first time!!!
Will grab a breeders net if the fighting gets worse.
They seem to be settling down a little bit. However the new bangaii has not eaten yet!
Why do this fish have to be so problematic!
Cheers,
Matt

AusMatt
Re:New bangaii added to tank...Good signs or bad signs? - Saturday, September 29, 2012 6:46 PM
Just read an article that says if a bangaii is seen cowering in the corner it should be removed immediately as it will soon die if not removed?? My new bangaii is doing this! I think its time I removed it and put it into my big tank where I am almost certain I have a female bangaii.

Cheers,

Matt

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:New bangaii added to tank...Good signs or bad signs? - Sunday, September 30, 2012 3:48 AM
removing was a good call in my opinion

AusMatt
Re:New bangaii added to tank...Good signs or bad signs? - Sunday, September 30, 2012 5:09 AM
Thanks Matt
I didnt actually remove it just yet because they seemed to be getting along but now the new one is still in a corner so I am going to net him and chuck him in my big tank with my assumed female.
Is this a better idea then putting the dominant bangaii in a breeders net for a while?
Unfortunately the new bangaii didnt feel up to feeding this morning so I wasnt able to get the vents to pop out.
Cheers,
Matt

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re:New bangaii added to tank...Good signs or bad signs? - Sunday, September 30, 2012 10:11 AM
It sounds like I would remove the fish.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

AusMatt
Re:New bangaii added to tank...Good signs or bad signs? - Sunday, September 30, 2012 6:01 PM
Thanks Andy.

These fish are completely blowing my mind! One minute the male is chasing the other and the next minute they are sleeping together and swimming together!

So weird. I am completely unsure what to do!

Matt

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:New bangaii added to tank...Good signs or bad signs? - Sunday, September 30, 2012 7:08 PM
I'd remove the fish as well and try another.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

GinaReef
  • Total Posts : 225
  • Scores: -1
  • Reward points : 470
Re:New bangaii added to tank...Good signs or bad signs? - Sunday, September 30, 2012 9:09 PM
Remember to quarranine.  If there are other fish in the other tank don't put them at risk too.  Get a QT to put the new fish in.

AusMatt
Re:New bangaii added to tank...Good signs or bad signs? - Monday, October 1, 2012 11:07 PM
Thanks Fishtal and GinaReef

Will be setting up a breeding setup soon. In this setup I will have a tank to put a group of bangaiis and let them sort themselves out.

Have been trying to catch the new bangaii out but he refuses to be caught so I might just leave him.

Cheers,

Matt

Caesra
  • Total Posts : 317
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 195
Re:New bangaii added to tank...Good signs or bad signs? - Tuesday, October 9, 2012 12:57 AM
What you are describing, I would remove the fish as well.  They may be opposite sex, but the cowering in the corner is clear indication they should be seperated.

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:New bangaii added to tank...Good signs or bad signs? - Tuesday, October 9, 2012 6:59 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Caesra
They may be opposite sex, but the cowering in the corner is clear indication they should be seperated.

Agreed.
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]