Experiences with Hybrids?

ignatz
  • Total Posts : 79
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 161
Experiences with Hybrids? - Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:43 AM
I'm currently raising a nest of Premnas biaculeatus (father) vs. Amphiprion ocellaris (mother).  I can't find much information about this hybridization. Does anyone else have any experience?  They are currently ~30dps and I'm worried about the aggression. Any help is appreciated.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Experiences with Hybrids? - Thursday, October 25, 2012 1:44 PM
This type of hybrid is something I don't know much about and wouldn't do myself. No idea what you're going to end up with.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

ignatz
Re:Experiences with Hybrids? - Friday, October 26, 2012 10:06 AM
Fishtal - Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you attempt this hybrid? The fish seem to be vigorous and well formed so far. A little plain to me but maybe they will look nicer as time goes on.

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Experiences with Hybrids? - Friday, October 26, 2012 7:27 PM
Lots of people have issues with the idea of hybridization in captive bred stock in general.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Experiences with Hybrids? - Friday, October 26, 2012 8:57 PM
Here is a long discussion we had on hybrids a while ago: http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/tm.aspx?m=57677
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

joebean
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Scores: 4
  • Reward points : 357
Re:Experiences with Hybrids? - Thursday, November 1, 2012 3:54 PM
i'd be very interested to see pictures of the juveniles
Myself i've been trying to pair a egg laying maroon female with a juvenile black O. No luck so far they stay at opposite sides of the tank.
I have also paired a black ice female with a juvenile maroon sucessfuly. They share the pot but female is not breeding size yet.
Incidently the guy in this thread mention having success only with the male being maroon http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20014494

just clownin around
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Reward points : 121
Re:Experiences with Hybrids? - Thursday, November 1, 2012 8:50 PM
there are a few major companies that have tried this and usually had very poor results in older fish.  high mortality rates after 6 months of age.  proaquatics and sustainable both gave up.

ignatz
Re:Experiences with Hybrids? - Friday, November 2, 2012 2:19 PM
Umm_Fish, Tal - I read the link and understand the issues some people seem to have.  Thanks.

joebean - I don't have any information on pairing broodstock. A local friend owns the parents and found them paired. He has been having bad luck raising the offspring so he asked me to give them a try. I thought the experience of raising a nest remotely would be fun and the unique nature of these fish was a bonus. I'll work on getting a picture posted.

just clownin around - Thanks for that input.  I'll keep an eye on this nest as they age.  I can certainly see mortality due aggression being a major issue.  I wonder how it compares to natural Maroons.

luis a m
  • Total Posts : 451
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 1249
Re:Experiences with Hybrids? - Saturday, November 3, 2012 3:40 PM
"Cocoa"clowns they were called.They were done by Proaquatix and exhibited in a MACNA years ago,I think St.Louis.Nice fish.
Never heard more of them,how big they grew or if they were fertile.. 

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 1293
Re:Experiences with Hybrids? - Sunday, November 4, 2012 11:20 AM
In all honesty, if a hybrid looks good and is healthy, someone will sell it, as someone will want it.  Most of the Maroon x Occi mixes just looked like poo.  Hard to sell a brownish maroon that is mean

JC Clownfish
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 188
Re:Experiences with Hybrids? - Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:30 PM
good luck with that im pairing up a tomato with a orange skunk i have no idea what will come of these to im doing it just to wonder what they will look like if there ugly ill split them up but someone told me it cant be done so im trying to prove them wrong