How to properly set up a QT tank

qterry22
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 90
How to properly set up a QT tank - Wednesday, December 5, 2012 2:31 AM
Just curious as to how to set up a QT and more so whats the proper way to QT something. I am in the beginning stages of building my fish room. I want to have a QT area set up for ALL incoming inverts and fish. I never had to QT before. I am very new to the hobby and havent had much good or bad luck lol. 

However I did have to add Prazipro to my DT tank due to a parasitic worm infestation of my fish. I believe the stress from re-homing them from the breeder caused their immune system to drop and become infested. I started seeing long stringy white poop(Could this come from eating the copepods in my tank? If so would this also explain their snobbish eating habits? They only eat cyclopeeze. As if anything else is not good enough. If I am lucky they will try my flakes or pellets then spit them out  ) . After the  initial dosing it appeared to get better but I could still see some signs of the stringy white poop. So I dosed again and so far haven't seen any signs of it. I am still in the waiting period for the second dose. Sunday will mark the 7th day and I will update this thread on the result. 

First dose was on 11/25/12
Second dose was on 12/2/12

So for future reference what do I do with the QT tank. My thoughts are getting a 10 gal. and filling it with sterile SW. Adding Prazipro to deworm them and then monitor them for any other health issues. How long do I QT for? What all do I initially treat for and how long? 

Thanks for the feedback

Q

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:How to properly set up a QT tank - Wednesday, December 5, 2012 2:43 AM
There are many ways to set up a QT. I choose to set up a simple 10G tank, depending on fish size, and observe the new fish. I don't treat for anything unless I see a problem.

QT should last for at least 30- 60 days regardless of where your fish come from, IMO.

All that is needed is a tank, heater and filtration. A low stress environment is important too. Provide hiding places based on species requirements.

If you're QT'ing a high risk fish I would consider using medications as a preventative. 
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

qterry22
Re:How to properly set up a QT tank - Wednesday, December 5, 2012 4:03 AM
Thanks Tal.

If I use a simple HOB filter with carbon and the sorts will this be ok with daily water changes? I dont want to set up an entire biological system for a QT. Unless its how its suppose to be done.

I will def. put some pvc in there for a hiding place and maybe some small amount of LR

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 1293
Re:How to properly set up a QT tank - Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:16 AM
The easiest (and maybe the best/only?) way to set up a QT tank is to make sure it has everything a regular tank does: Biological filtration, mechanical filtration, light, and habitat that is good for the fish in question.  

None of these need to be the absolute best that money can buy, but like Tal mentioned, a simple tank set up that makes the fish feel comfortable is all that is needed.  One thing I'd make sure of is that I do not have any live rock / sand / porous material in there. Why? Because if you treat with copper, it will be absorbed.  PVC hiding places and a sponge filter/ hang on the back is fine.

Good luck!

qterry22
Re:How to properly set up a QT tank - Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:08 AM
I will follow the advice. Its sounding like preventative maintenance will not be needed. More of a wait and see game. I will only be adding clowns, corals, anemones (Prolly just one or two of the same type so the get along. I love the RBTA and all its variations) Do you quarantine anemones? It could be expensive just buying a light to support them for a QT. But if necessary I will. I refuse to negligently add fish killers to my tank. Lol...thats all the diseases and bacteria that I have read about. If it happens its gonna have to be a act of god or something I cant prevent.

Thanks for the feedback.

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:How to properly set up a QT tank - Saturday, December 22, 2012 4:20 PM
I wrote an article for Reef Hobbyist Magazine that cover some aspects of quarantine.  It's more of a get your feet wet article than a real how-to, but that should help you out.

http://www.reefhobbyistma...oads/pdf/version24.pdf Starting on page 28.
<message edited by EasterEggs on Saturday, December 22, 2012 10:45 PM>
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]