Advices on "nose in the wall" larvae

aomont
  • Total Posts : 774
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 1003
Advices on "nose in the wall" larvae - Saturday, December 15, 2012 10:07 PM
My clownfish larvae just stuck their nose to the wall through their first days. This is certainly affecting their nutrition as meta is being delayed by a few days and I'm seeing some deformities post-meta. I've just set up a recirculating system to deal with water quality and reducing daily labour from meta on.

Alternatives that have been suggested about the wall-nosing problem are adding phyto to the water and lowering light intensity.
First question: Does the light thing alone works ?
I was planning to go that route as growing phyto would be a PITA as I'm not home the whole week days and leave the fish under my wife's care. It would be one more chore left to her and I wouldn't like to do that.
I do not have an "easy" source of the refrigerated options like you have in the US and other countries and, although I have access to some powder products from INVE, using them did not reduce this behavior.
Next question: Is there any alternative out there that does not need to be refrigerated, at least, until the bottle is opened ?
If the answers are no to both, I'll need to wait someone I know go to US and is willing to bring some RotiGreen on a termic bag...
Anderson.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Advices on "nose in the wall" larvae - Saturday, December 15, 2012 10:14 PM
If I understand correctly, you're not using phyto for "greenwater"? If that is the case, tinting the water green will definitely help solve the problem. 

When my fry start hanging out near the glass I know it's time to add more phyto. You're using tanks that are painted black on the sides, right?

I don't know about lowering the light, I haven't tried that. 
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

aomont
Re:Advices on "nose in the wall" larvae - Saturday, December 15, 2012 10:23 PM
Exactly, not using phyto as I didn't want to make my wife (I'm only around on weekends) culture it and I haven't easy access to refrigerated options.
I was looking for some way around it so I don't have to stop raising them for some time before I get the products.
I have them on round tubes that are brown or dark green (couldn't find the black ones...) but I can paint them black if it helps.
Anderson.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Advices on "nose in the wall" larvae - Saturday, December 15, 2012 10:33 PM
Hmm... I've always used some type of phyto, haven't tried going without. Are the tubs dark green/brown? I know that Dan uses blue tubs for seahorses.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

matt1001
  • Total Posts : 268
  • Scores: 4
  • Reward points : 768
Re:Advices on "nose in the wall" larvae - Sunday, December 16, 2012 1:42 PM
I use dark green tubs, and thought it made little difference, although I do get a lot of nose bumping with clowns and neons I have to tint the water a lot to stop it

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Scores: 14
  • Reward points : 1486
Re:Advices on "nose in the wall" larvae - Sunday, December 16, 2012 1:58 PM
I have noticed clowns "nose bumping" even in BRTs if the water is not green enough.  Reducing the light levels using layers of paper towels did help for me.  The best solution is to use a good green water protocol of one type or another (live Nannochloropsis or a RotiGreen product + ClorAm-X).

GreshamH
  • Total Posts : 757
  • Scores: 16
  • Reward points : 600
Re:Advices on "nose in the wall" larvae - Sunday, December 16, 2012 5:39 PM
We do ship to Brazil now (IIRC), perhaps we could alert you when someone is is getting it and you could piggy back on the order?  We're only really shipping to hatcheries currently IIRC.

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Advices on "nose in the wall" larvae - Sunday, December 16, 2012 7:28 PM
I didn't see any of that with the clowns I raised with no green water at all. They were in a blue tub with the inside painted black, though.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Advices on "nose in the wall" larvae - Sunday, December 16, 2012 8:13 PM
Current and a single-point light source might help in the absence of phyto - eg. using a kriesel might keep them faced nose-into-current vs. nosed against the sides...

GreshamH
  • Total Posts : 757
  • Scores: 16
  • Reward points : 600
Re:Advices on "nose in the wall" larvae - Sunday, December 16, 2012 10:11 PM
If its just needed for background color, couldn't a whole slew of things be used that wouldn't effect the water quality? 

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Advices on "nose in the wall" larvae - Saturday, December 22, 2012 3:42 PM
Quote Originally Posted by JimWelsh

I have noticed clowns "nose bumping" even in BRTs if the water is not green enough.  Reducing the light levels using layers of paper towels did help for me.  The best solution is to use a good green water protocol of one type or another (live Nannochloropsis or a RotiGreen product + ClorAm-X).

I have the same experiences.  I have clip on lamps though, and swivel them mostly away from the larvae for the first few days and use a mere 7.5 watt incandescent bulb.
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

aomont
Re:Advices on "nose in the wall" larvae - Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:39 PM
:O
I just read this now...

Quote Originally Posted by GreshamH

We do ship to Brazil now (IIRC), perhaps we could alert you when someone is is getting it and you could piggy back on the order?  We're only really shipping to hatcheries currently IIRC.

...and I liked !
You'll have a PM/e-mail/FB message soon Gresh. Thanks.
Anderson.