Breeding Journal, Species:Pterapogon Kauderni [Banggai Cardinalfish]

GinaReef
  • Total Posts : 225
  • Reward points : 470
Breeding Journal, Species:Pterapogon Kauderni [Banggai Cardinalfish] - Saturday, December 22, 2012 12:22 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Pterapogon Kauderni
Social Structure:  groupm of 6
Size of Individuals:  1.5" to 2"
Age of Individuals:  young wild caught
Date added to Tank:  16 Dec 2012

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  25 g  QT
Substrate Details:  small amount of crushed shell  pipe fittings for hiding
Filtration Details:  penguin bio-wheel filter w/bioballs and aged sponge
Water Changes:  not yet
Water Temperature:  86*F
Lighting: 18"  t5 flour white + ambient from phyto culture
Lighting Cycle:  16 hr on 8 hr off
Other Tank Inhabitants:  4 small PJ cardinals, 6 smaller orbiculate cardinals 6 small hermit crabs, 3 turbo snails, bristle worms

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Hikari frozen Mysis, live BBS and anything else I can get them to eat(homemade seafood mix)
Feeding Schedule:  at least 2X daily sometimes more

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 
Spawn Time of Day: 
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 
Courtship Details: 
Egg Size: 
Egg Color: 
Egg Count: 

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description:   
Consecutive Hatch Dates:     

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

GinaReef
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Pterapogon Kauderni [Banggai Cardinalfish] - Monday, December 24, 2012 7:00 PM
Will a banggai who is holding hide ? I have one in a community QT who is hiding up beside a fixture in a corner of the tank.  He/she doesn't  come out to eat.  There doesn't seem to be any fighting between any of them.  Most of them are quite small. The one that's hiding is one of the largest.

GinaReef
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Pterapogon Kauderni [Banggai Cardinalfish] - Friday, December 28, 2012 11:44 PM
16 days in the QT.  2 Banggais are not well.  They have been moved (2 days ago) to a hospital tank.  One seems to have a swim bladder issue since when it is not actively swimming, it is floating on it's side on the surface or inside the pot cave.  It seems to be feeding from the bottom of the tank.  I make sure I put in some live BBS every day. I have given them 2 doses of Prazapro. One more to go.
The other does not look unwell, however it has stringy white feces and does not seem to be eating.

GinaReef
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Pterapogon Kauderni [Banggai Cardinalfish] - Sunday, December 30, 2012 11:47 PM
So, one of the BC died overnight.  I think it was the one with the swim bladder problem.  It looks like it might have become trapped behind the filter.  It had red spots all over as if it hemorrhaged inside.
The other sick one looks fine.  I haven't seen any stingy feces today and it actually ate a piece of mysis.
All others in the main QT are doing fine.

GinaReef
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Pterapogon Kauderni [Banggai Cardinalfish] - Tuesday, January 1, 2013 10:25 PM
Well I guess the remaining one wasn't doing as well as i thought.  I found it dead today and another body in the main tank.  That's 3 dead and 1 AWOL out of 6.  I still have hope that the remaining 2 are a pair.  They hang out together.  One is definitely eating live BBS the other has a big jaw.

GinaReef
Re:Breeding Journal, Species:Pterapogon Kauderni [Banggai Cardinalfish] - Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:37 AM
Well, all 6 have died within a week.  I guess that's what I get for getting wild  ones.  The other 10 cardinals of that shipment are thriving.