Breeding Journal, Species: Unknown Pelagic Eggs

Amphispur
  • Total Posts : 417
  • Reward points : 853
Breeding Journal, Species: Unknown Pelagic Eggs - Saturday, December 29, 2012 6:27 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Unknown
Social Structure:  Unknown
Size of Individuals:  Unknown
Age of Individuals:  Unknown
Date added to Tank:  Unknown

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  430
Substrate Details: Unknown           
Filtration Details:  Unknown
Water Changes:  Unknown
Water Temperature:  Unknown
Lighting:  Unknown
Lighting Cycle:  Unknown
Other Tank Inhabitants:  A variety of Anthais, a pair of Leopard Wrasse, other wrasses, a yellow tang, a naso tang, a pair of firefish and a purple firefish, pair of bangaii cardinalfish, stripped fang blenny, pair of scissortail gobies, other sand dwelling fish and inveterate
Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Unknown
Feeding Schedule:  Unknown

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  Happens Every Night
Spawn Time of Day:  After the lights go out
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  Atleast once every week
Courtship Details:  Unknown
Egg Size:  Tiny, don't have an exact measurement
Egg Color:  Clear
Egg Count:  Too small to count

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  12/29/12
Hatch Time of Day:  4:25 pm
# Days after Spawn:  1
Larvae Description:  Stream-Line
Consecutive Hatch Dates:      

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  Ambient, around 70-75 degrees farenhight
Size of Larval Tank:  Small tuperware container
Substrate Details:  None
Other Tank Decor:  None
Filtration Details:  None
Lighting:  Single flourecent bulb on the ceiling of the room
Lighting Cycle:  10 - 12 hours on, 12-14 hours off
Water Changes:  None

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  Panamenesis
Feeding Schedule:  

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by Amphispur on Monday, December 31, 2012 7:32 PM>

Amphispur
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Unknown Pelogic Eggs - Saturday, December 29, 2012 6:36 PM
Sorry for the lack of info here right now. Got these eggs donated from a LFS near me. They just hatched and so far I count 2 larvae. When more hatch I will get a photo of one. They are a stream-line shape and are about a mm long if not smaller 

Amphispur
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Unknown Pelogic Eggs - Sunday, December 30, 2012 4:06 PM
So I managed to get a picture of two different larvae. The left larvae, I believe, is a shrimp larvae, because it had two phalanges that it was using while it searched or the panamanesis. The right one, I believe, is a fish larvae.

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Reward points : 1486
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Unknown Pelogic Eggs - Sunday, December 30, 2012 4:14 PM
You will want to see if you can observe the fish larva "striking" at any of the copepod nauplii.  You will also want to see if you can observe the larva's gut having contents -- usually a darkish or sometimes greenish or orangish line following where the gut should be.  I understand that you don't really know what you are looking for just yet, but this is a good opportunity to start making these kind of observations, to train your eye.  It helps to have a variety of magnifying glasses of various powers around.  Good luck!

Amphispur
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Unknown Pelogic Eggs - Sunday, December 30, 2012 8:22 PM
Jim, is the "gut's contents" in this part of the picture above?

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Unknown Pelogic Eggs - Sunday, December 30, 2012 8:32 PM
Are you sure they are fish? Hard to tell in the pic but they resemble early-stage shrimp from that angle.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

Amphispur
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Unknown Pelogic Eggs - Sunday, December 30, 2012 8:42 PM
I truthfully have absolutly no idea tal. I know the one on the left is a shrimp larvae because it has 2 legs in the front and 12 underneath its belly. I have no true idea what an early-staged shrimp looks like, so I will do more research. Also, if you have a link, that would be helpful too

Amphispur
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Unknown Pelogic Eggs - Sunday, December 30, 2012 9:04 PM
Ok so it turns out we've got a book on peppermint shrimp, and the only larvae that looks similar is the Larva on the left. The one on the right is just a singular streamline "thing" with no extra appendages on it

JimWelsh
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Unknown Pelogic Eggs - Sunday, December 30, 2012 10:13 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Amphispur

Also, if you have a link, that would be helpful too

This is a cleaner shrimp larvae.  Peppermint shrimps will look very similar.

http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/fb.ashx?m=64108

Amphispur
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Unknown Pelogic Eggs - Sunday, December 30, 2012 10:17 PM
Wow! Thanks Jim! Now to see how long I can raise this single larve. It is striking at the Panamenisis that I have in there so I think I am in good shape.

luis a m
  • Total Posts : 451
  • Reward points : 1249
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Unknown Pelogic Eggs - Monday, December 31, 2012 9:23 AM
The left one seems a Z1 shrimp larvae,but the one at the right looks more like a Mysis?
Still,it is unclear how your LFS could collect the eggs,since none of them produce free eggs

Amphispur
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Unknown Pelogic Eggs - Monday, December 31, 2012 9:44 AM
My dad designed an egg catcher for them where the pelogic eggs get caught into it. The store owner told us that his fish spawn every morning. I will post more on the egg catchers design later on today

Amphispur
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Unknown Pelogic Eggs - Monday, December 31, 2012 6:46 PM
Ok. Time to explain how the egg catcher works. Here is the basic design of it: 

The tank has a 4" "lip" around the top of the tank. The pvc frame is attached to Lexan tabs that insert into suction cups. The two gallon bucket, cut short, has a 100 micron screen on the side to keep the eggs inside the bucket while still allowing water to flow through. Airlift comes inside the bucket to draw in the eggs. It fits below the screen net that is there to keep the fish from jumping out of the tank. The frame holds the bucket in the tank with use of friction.

Amphispur
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Unknown Pelogic Eggs - Monday, December 31, 2012 7:15 PM
This was started from the idea presented by Todd Gardner at the MBI workshop in 2012. In his presentation, he talked about using local aquarium maintenance vendors and their customers as a source of pelagic eggs. I struck a deal with one of our local companies. Here is a video of his 430 display tank: http://youtu.be/DSRUTM6vsr0

Amphispur
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Unknown Pelogic Eggs - Wednesday, January 2, 2013 6:49 PM
Today, the one shrimp larvae has reached the Z2 stage. When I feed the larvae, I put in mostly Panam. Nauplii, but I also put in a few adults for the shrimp to eat. His eyes have split onto small stalks ( I think that's what their called), and he has "antlers" as well.

Amphispur
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Unknown Pelogic Eggs - Saturday, January 5, 2013 2:30 PM
Just got a new batch of eggs today. The shrimp larvae from the first batch were all eaten by the mysis shrimp then they all canalized themselves.

Amphispur
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Unknown Pelogic Eggs - Saturday, March 16, 2013 2:10 PM
Exciting update! So far, I have 6 little pro larvae, I believe. And of course this had to happen a week before I go to Mexico! But I will try an get these guys to last as log as I can. I will feed these guys A. Panamensis F1 nauplii (Smaller than 120 microns and bigger than 48 microns.)

JimWelsh
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Unknown Pelogic Eggs - Saturday, March 16, 2013 3:36 PM
Prolarvae of what?  And I think you mean "N1" nauplii.

Amphispur
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Unknown Pelogic Eggs - Saturday, March 16, 2013 3:38 PM
I truly have no idea of what, and thanks for the correction. No idea what the prolarvae is, but it has, from what I can see, a head and still looks egg-shaped without a mouth and is VERY clear. I almost passed over them.