Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus plicatilis

DThom
  • Total Posts : 43
  • Reward points : 1252
Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus plicatilis - Wednesday, January 9, 2013 3:43 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Brachionus Plicatilis
Species description:  L Strain
Culture source (link if possible):  AlgaGen LLC
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  01/04/2013
Continuation Date: 

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.023
Temperature:    (Room Temperature)
pH:  unknown

Vessel description:  1 gallon glass jar.
Lighting description:  No direct lighting to vessel.  Some ambient room light.
Lighting cycle:  Room light around 12 hour on off cycle.
Aeration description:  Light aeration via rigid airline tube.

Methodologies
Split methodology: Upon arrival of the starter culture I immediately split the culture into 3 separate containers, and doubled the amount of culture water in each container. I then have been doubling the amount of culture water in each vessel each day until the jars are full.  No additional splits have occurred yet as I get the cultures all going.

Culture medium description: 
I am currently feeding RotiGreen from Reed Mariculture.  Cultures are checked and fed (if needed) twice a day. Amount varies greatly as the cultures grow and have differently densities. Probably somewhere around 1/8 to 1/4 ml at this point with very light culture densities.

Cell count:
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

DThom
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus plicatilis - Saturday, January 12, 2013 11:52 AM
Cultures are going strong and getting very dense.

DThom
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus plicatilis - Monday, January 28, 2013 11:38 AM
Cultures are still going strong, I am up to about 4 gallons worth of cultures.

DThom
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Brachionus plicatilis - Monday, January 28, 2013 11:40 AM
I am now dosing around 1/2 ML of RotiGreen per 2 gallon container in the morning and evenings.  Water is just about cleared out by the time I am feeding them again.