What would you pay for a spawning pair of GSMs?

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Reward points : 1486
What would you pay for a spawning pair of GSMs? - Saturday, January 12, 2013 4:16 AM
My LFS has a spawning pair of Gold Stripe Maroons (Premnas biaculeatus).  I have seen them spawn multiple times in the store.  The clutches are not huge, but they are definitely spawning regularly.  I'd like to negotiate a price for them with my LFS.  He doesn't really want to sell them, but has hinted that he could be talked into it.  He is not raising the offspring from the spawns.

My main goal is not to make money off the offspring, but simply to get experience with these fish, and to hopefully add another icon to my MBI profile.  What is a reasonable amount to pay for these fish, in the opinion of my MBI friends who have experience with such things?  I just want to get an idea of what is a reasonable price range for these fish, as a spawning pair.

just clownin around
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Reward points : 121
Re:What would you pay for a spawning pair of GSMs? - Saturday, January 12, 2013 8:26 AM
About 125-150 at most. You can easily find pairs that people are sick of. Since they get territorial when the get larger and a "little aggressive"

j.p.harrington
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 202
Re:What would you pay for a spawning pair of GSMs? - Saturday, January 12, 2013 8:43 AM
i agree no more than 150.00 i got a spawning pair of cinnamon clowns the other day for 40.00 and black occis for 75.00.

with that said if he isnt really wanting to sell them you can expect to pay more than you would like  maybe he might be interested in some trades? 

DThom
  • Total Posts : 43
  • Reward points : 1252
Re:What would you pay for a spawning pair of GSMs? - Saturday, January 12, 2013 11:51 AM
See if he can get them to lay eggs on a tile, or if you can collect the fry one night.  Raise a batch and get your experience and icon with out the brood stock cost!

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:What would you pay for a spawning pair of GSMs? - Saturday, January 12, 2013 2:49 PM
Yeah, just have him sell you eggs.  $20 a clutch.
Also, I see a lot of prices offered, but here's the catch - a regular, non spawning pair of Wild Gold Stripe Maroons is in the $100 to $150 range through most vendors...before delivery.  They're right, you can find pairs people are sick of, sometimes, but to find a healthy, proven pair is something entirely different.  It is very rare that I'd think an actively spawning, proven pair of clownfish should sell for less than $200, but that's only my opinion.  Prices vary wildly, mainly due to supply and demand here.

It's just like buying anything else that's a one-off...he has it, he doesn't really want to sell it, you may have to do a bit of haggling.  $250 to $350 would not be unreasonable for a proven pair.

Oh, and yeah, I just remembered, you won't get the spawn credit unless you own and possess the pair.  Makes buying tiles or something not valid for your purposes. 

JimWelsh
Re:What would you pay for a spawning pair of GSMs? - Saturday, January 12, 2013 3:23 PM
Quote Originally Posted by mPedersen

Oh, and yeah, I just remembered, you won't get the spawn credit unless you own and possess the pair.  Makes buying tiles or something not valid for your purposes. 

Thank you for reading my mind on that question, Matt! 

GinaReef
  • Total Posts : 225
  • Reward points : 470
Re:What would you pay for a spawning pair of GSMs? - Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:56 PM
Quote Originally Posted by mPedersen

Yeah, just have him sell you eggs.  $20 a clutch.

But keep a couple of pairs for a year or 2 and get the spawn credit.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:What would you pay for a spawning pair of GSMs? - Saturday, January 12, 2013 11:07 PM
I wouldn't spend too much for them. Other than using them to get points you won't be able to get rid of a lot of offspring.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

JimWelsh
Re:What would you pay for a spawning pair of GSMs? - Sunday, January 13, 2013 2:15 AM
My plan is not to make money off the offspring.  I'm chasing Matt!!!

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:What would you pay for a spawning pair of GSMs? - Sunday, January 13, 2013 2:25 AM
LOL, I hear ya!
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Reward points : 1293
Re:What would you pay for a spawning pair of GSMs? - Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:32 AM
Jim you're not thinking hard enough!

Tell him he can get the first batch of babies for free if he'll sell the pair for $50.  He can probably sell a maroon for $20 each, so 20 babies = $400.00, 50 babies = $1000.00 

Use the math to your advantage

JoeDigiorgio
  • Total Posts : 278
  • Reward points : 823
Re:What would you pay for a spawning pair of GSMs? - Monday, February 11, 2013 1:16 PM
Oh man! Idk about you guys but this must just be a difference in where we all live. I can't imagine a spawning pair of GSM for more than $120. And that'd be ONLY because they're proven. Here in S Florida, maroon clowns are about $30something for an individual and 'bonded' pairs sell for under $90.

I understand that he doesn't want to sell, but that's no reason to overpay for something in my opinion. Realistically, the trade idea is your best bet. He probably pays around $3 or less per fish he sells for roughly $20 at a small size, depending on the size of his orders of course. For him to be able to turn around and sell 'free' fish at a premium for being captive bred is something he'd likely jump on.

Coming from someone who works at a fish store, I'll tell you he didn't open up a store to not make money.

Hope it works out for you.
Joe

JimWelsh
Re:What would you pay for a spawning pair of GSMs? - Monday, February 11, 2013 1:30 PM
Actually, he is going to go for the trade for the offspring.  Thank you all for the feedback!

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re:What would you pay for a spawning pair of GSMs? - Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:34 AM
Good thinkin there Jim!
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]