Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis

CaptCrash
  • Total Posts : 649
  • Reward points : 1278
Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:10 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Synchiropus occidentalis
Social Structure:  Pair
Size of Individuals:  5cm both male and female
Age of Individuals:  Unknown
Date added to Tank:  01/22/2013

Broodstock Tank Details 
Size of Tank:  Breeding setup approx 1000L total.  Tank 380x610x390mm 67L 17.5US Gal 
Substrate Details:  Rocks, gravel, pots and pvc pipes 
Filtration Details:  Skimmer, UV, Macro Algae, Live Rock 
Water Changes:  100L Fortnight 
Water Temperature:  26.5C 
Lighting:  Power Compact 
Lighting Cycle:  7am to 7:45pm 
Other Tank Inhabitants:  Pair 1 - Skunk clowns, Pair 2 - Occy Pair  

Broodstock Feeding Details 
Food Types:  Spectrum Thera A+, Spectrum Salt H20 flakes, Enriched Brine Shrimp, Marine Green, Home Made Mash (prawn, pipi clam, white bait, squid, garlic, norrie etc). Occasional live brine shrimp.  Live rotifer, live amphipods and mysis, frozen mysis, small roe.
Feeding Schedule:  Morning and night.  Pellets followed 10 minutes later with frozen food. 
Pellets and larger frozen food are for other fish in tank.

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 
Spawn Time of Day: 
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 
Courtship Details: 
Egg Size: 
Egg Color: 
Egg Count: 

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description:   
Consecutive Hatch Dates:     

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 
Four fish were obtained.  One pair and one possible pair.
Pair 1 are inseparable and have spent their time at the LFS huddled together.  They were eating in the tank at the LFS.
Pair 2 seem to get along, though I am suspect if they are a pair.

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by CaptCrash on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:32 AM>

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:09 AM
 Pair 1

Pair 2 Male front female back

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:27 AM
Awesome!! Nice and fat too. Did you collect them yourself?

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:01 PM
No I didn't catch them, they come from a very remote part of Western Australia.

There is some more info on reef builders about them and this batch being collected http://reefbuilders.com/2...t-australian-dragonet/

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Tuesday, January 22, 2013 11:44 PM
AWESOME, can't wait to see you tackle this! 

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:49 PM
Nice! Good luck with them!
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

Peerless
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points : 92
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Monday, January 28, 2013 5:23 AM
Beautiful fish, good luck.

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Monday, January 28, 2013 5:35 AM
Thanks for all the positive comments, everyone.

1 week in and both pairs are doing well, feeding well.
They are occasionally taking frozen food, but mostly hunting copepods, amphipods etc in the tanks.

I have lots of crushed rock about 1-1.5cm in piles to ensure that there is good amounts of food for them.
Each pair is in a different system to give maximum chances should there be some sort of issue.

JimWelsh
  • Total Posts : 1426
  • Reward points : 1486
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Monday, January 28, 2013 10:46 AM
What are your plans for egg collection and larval system, once they spawn?  Are your Bestiolina cultures up to speed?

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Monday, January 28, 2013 12:34 PM
I think these guys have 6-12 months growing ahead of them before I need to worry about collecting spawns etc.  Both pairs are on the small side.

In terms of collecting eggs, I have been working on a collection process with the tangs that is working ok.  Once I have it a it more refined, I was hoping that it would do the job.

In essence, its like a gutter on a fibreglass pool, whereby the tank water can gently lap over, this then drains to a central point. The eggs are then collected over mesh of an appropriate size for the eggs.

At the moment I am using two screens, one larger that will allow the eggs to pass, but keep out any debris (500-600um), then a finer egg collector at 50-75um to collect the eggs.

These are both large screens (20L salt bucket size) and only used during egg collection, so its a bit of a carry on, but lets me collect good volumes of floating eggs.  By keeping the water flow low, I haven't had any issues with the eggs failing to hatch, (if I collect them with a net made of the same material then back wash them, I am lucky to get 10% hatch with the tangs).

Im hoping to be able to use a similar process to collect the eggs.  I haven't really done much research into how others have collected mandarin eggs yet.

I should start reading though, so I know what to look our for in terms of their courting etc.

I have a pair of S.splendidus that will hopefully be ready to breed soon.  My hope is that I can learn from them whilst the S.occidentalis are growing.

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:57 AM
Im hoping my last post was very wrong and these may be very good pictures.

A photo of the female from pair one on the day I picked her up

Some photos of her tonight

As you can see she if very, very fat.  Uncomfortable looking in fact.
For those that know, please tell me that this is her full of eggs.

Im concerned that this may be a bad thing.  She is eating very well and doesnt seem bothered, so Im hoping its a good thing.

Peerless
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:09 AM
Yes I would say that is her "hydrated, gravid, ripe"

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:10 AM
How long is there likely to be between this point and spawn?

Peerless
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:26 AM
Normally in the evening just before lights out. It could be every evening.

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:30 AM
great, thanks for the help.

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:38 AM
Yes. Once they get into a rhythm and are eating lots of food the spawns will be every day.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

JoeDigiorgio
  • Total Posts : 278
  • Reward points : 823
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:12 PM
Any news on these guys? I can't wat for them to reach the states.

Joe

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:45 PM
There have been a few spawns now, but no hatches.
Every egg I have collected has not been fertalized as far as I can tell. They just go bad over two days or so.

I'm waiting on some taller tanks to be made to give them more room for spawning.
Once these are online, I'll put more focus into them.

JoeDigiorgio
  • Total Posts : 278
  • Reward points : 823
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:24 AM
Next time, when you collect the eggs, swish them around gently in the collecting vessel to increase contact between eggs and sperm.

CaptCrash
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Friday, October 25, 2013 2:26 AM
I had a really bad experience a couple of days ago.

Went out to feed my broodstock in the garage and the rear door was open. This was odd as I keep it shut to keep the temperature up.
Every power point and light in the garage was turned off (except for one light that is difficult to find). This includes the air pumps, returns etc.

I have lost quite a few of my breeding pairs, including three WA mandarins, two pairs of regular mandarins and four varieties of clowns.

A few things were knocked over in the garage as well, so its obvious someone was in there.

I just dont understand why someone would do this.
Stay up to date with my breeding efforts:
Regal Tang RegalTangBreeding
Mccullochi Clownfish MccullochiClownfishBreeding 

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Friday, October 25, 2013 2:29 AM
Very sad to hear.

http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

jedi82knight
  • Total Posts : 53
  • Reward points : 290
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Friday, October 25, 2013 11:44 AM
Wrong on every level. Sorry to hear that.
- Brandon AKA Jedi Knight

GinaReef
  • Total Posts : 225
  • Reward points : 470
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Friday, October 25, 2013 9:58 PM
That's awful.  Some people just have to make trouble.  Sounds like you'll need to put in a security system.  Or a controller that can send you alarms.

Lrood
  • Total Posts : 370
  • Reward points : 880
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus occidentalis - Sunday, October 27, 2013 10:02 AM
Unbelievable. You have to wonder what would make a person do something like that.... Really sorry to hear.