Bloated clownfishes

aomont
  • Total Posts : 774
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 1003
Bloated clownfishes - Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:49 PM
Sad news on the front.
I have a batch of black O's clownfishes that have reached 2 - 3 months now. The batch didn't came out all that well (under optimal rotifer supply (but not to little), head in the wall larvae, ammonia/nitrate problem while out of recirculating system...) and rendered 50+ juveniles that are colloring up pretty well although there are some mild head deformities and a couple runts. There are being fed solely TDO at this point (started it on the second week if I remember correctly).
Two weeks ago one of them looked bloated but not the kind that floated. Actually it sank and had a hard time coming to the surface. Last Saturday the poor guy died.
Today there are 3 - 4 in the same state (bloated in the bottom) and I am freaking out !

I am reading what I can and I'd love inputs from everyone, PLEASE.
Anderson.

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:Bloated clownfishes - Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:18 PM
Are just the stomachs bloated or does it look like more their whole body including their eyes kind of bugging out?

aomont
Re:Bloated clownfishes - Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:17 PM
Initially only the bellies, then more and more with popping eyes at the end.
Some kind of ascites maybe. I was thinking liver/kidney failure just couldn't figure out the cause.
Anderson.

JC Clownfish
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 188
Re:Bloated clownfishes - Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:30 PM
i have had that happen it was the shells to the brine got in there so i got new hatcherys from bulk reef the round ones and i never had that issue after it plugs them up

aomont
Re:Bloated clownfishes - Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:03 PM
They have not eaten bbs I jumped from rots to TDO.

Second dead today...
It seems its liver was larger and paler. I'm thinking lipidosis right now but because of its small size it is hard to see details.
A friend of mine has a surgical microscope and tomorrow I may euthanise one of them to necropsy it and take some samples.
There are 3 bloated fish, 2 still swimming and eating and 1 on the bottom. It is sad to see. I'm reducing food a bit until I have more info, they were being fed A LOT and frequently, I have to say.
<message edited by aomont on Monday, March 18, 2013 1:21 AM>
Anderson.

JC Clownfish
Re:Bloated clownfishes - Friday, January 25, 2013 12:16 AM
well i hope you find out what it is it sucks to see everything you have worked so hard for die in a matter of days trust me i know i lost all my spawning pairs at one piont let me know what u find not only will it help me later on but i can spread the word to others that may have the same issues

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:Bloated clownfishes - Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:45 AM
I have a few bloated Darwins in my batches too.  I'm not sure what causes it, but mine swim and feed normally and are several months old.  I only have 2 of them.  I haven't culled them because I was waiting to see if they would recover.  Mine it's just their bellies...looks like they have constantly overeaten.
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

JC Clownfish
Re:Bloated clownfishes - Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:38 PM
two of my picasso did that one died and the other got better and belly went down and is still doing well the only thing i could think of is they were being fed tdo c2 then when i tried to pair them up i started feeding them rods food breeders blend so i put them back on tdo maybe the rods food was to much at that moment

aomont
Re:Bloated clownfishes - Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:46 PM
From mine, 5 died and one is alive and "seems" a little less ripe.

From what I could see under the scope, the liver was very very pale but not yellow. The was fluid in the cavity and intestines walls were thick like they were full of liquid.
I haven't sent the preserved fish to analisys yet neither the liquid slides I made.
I have reduced feed amounts since then and progress to death took longer on the last ones with the plus of one of them looking better. The others are not thiner so it looks like the excess food was of no help and I should don't get too excited with them eating anyway.

Let me know how yours evolve.
Anderson.

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Scores: 13
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:Bloated clownfishes - Saturday, February 16, 2013 6:01 PM
I've had this happen very occationally with juveniles in grow out, and once with an adult brood stock.  No idea what it is. The adult I had given to a friend to house for me, and she died within a month after developing the swollen abdomen.  My friend froze the carcass for me, and when I dissected her, there was a lot of fluid around the guts, but I couldn't tell what was causing her death.  No clue.

check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

aomont
Re:Bloated clownfishes - Sunday, February 17, 2013 12:19 AM
Kathy, did the juveniles in grow-out also die ?
Anderson.

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Scores: 13
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:Bloated clownfishes - Sunday, February 17, 2013 12:35 AM
Actually, not on their own. I could not sell them, so they were culled.
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)