33 longs. What the hell do I do with these tanks?

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Reward points : 1293
33 longs. What the hell do I do with these tanks? - Friday, February 8, 2013 1:14 PM
So I've got a few of these tanks from a buddy who is moving.... I gotta think they can be useful for something... gobies? Clowns?  Frag tank?  48x12x12 are the rough dimensions.

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Reward points : 953
Re:33 longs. What the hell do I do with these tanks? - Friday, February 8, 2013 1:29 PM
That's about the size I used for the Harlequin filefish. They seemed really happy to have a decent amount of room to swim laps in.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

GinaReef
  • Total Posts : 225
  • Reward points : 470
Re:33 longs. What the hell do I do with these tanks? - Friday, February 8, 2013 4:18 PM
I saw a post somewhere that someone had done a pico reef in one that size.
It would do a frag grow out tank too.
or with dividers you could separate aggressive juvies.

DanUnderwood
  • Total Posts : 56
  • Reward points : 238
Re:33 longs. What the hell do I do with these tanks? - Sunday, February 10, 2013 8:47 AM
Would make a great tank for growing out mysids or temporary storage for plankton pulls.

Dan

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Reward points : 1293
Re:33 longs. What the hell do I do with these tanks? - Sunday, February 10, 2013 9:46 AM
I thought about that too Dan (Mysid tank), but I've got stuff for that already.  Hmm, wonder if a 330G UDC container would be worthwhile to culture in?

I'm almost going to pull the trigger at a seagrass tank (3-4" of muck on the bottom, light by LEDS), simply as I've always wanted to do one.   I'd need to put some glass dividers in first, so I can keep it cleaner. 

Hmm, gotta keep thinking.

Any other ideas?

t2rev
  • Total Posts : 53
  • Reward points : 284
Re:33 longs. What the hell do I do with these tanks? - Sunday, February 10, 2013 9:46 AM
4 dividers, 4 pairs of percs/gobies or both.

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:33 longs. What the hell do I do with these tanks? - Sunday, February 10, 2013 7:06 PM
Much of my fishroom uses this size  https://www.youtube.com/w...dded&v=o2gTU5MBpkM

You can easily divide, and now here's a cool trick - PORET foam, offered by Swiss Tropicals, is saltwater safe - entire thing becomes biological media if the water is circulated through it

Also a great size to stash underneath a 55 above....same footprint.

president89
  • Total Posts : 224
  • Reward points : 222
Re:33 longs. What the hell do I do with these tanks? - Monday, March 2, 2015 7:39 PM
Quote Originally Posted by mPedersen

Much of my fishroom uses this size  https://www.youtube.com/w...dded&v=o2gTU5MBpkM

You can easily divide, and now here's a cool trick - PORET foam, offered by Swiss Tropicals, is saltwater safe - entire thing becomes biological media if the water is circulated through it

Also a great size to stash underneath a 55 above....same footprint.

Matt, are you using the poret as dividers?

mPedersen
Re:33 longs. What the hell do I do with these tanks? - Monday, March 2, 2015 10:33 PM
Yes, I have used Poret foam as dividers and it works if water is circulated through it.

president89
Re:33 longs. What the hell do I do with these tanks? - Tuesday, March 3, 2015 12:14 AM

Yes, I have used Poret foam as dividers and it works if water is circulated through it.

Hi Matt, when you say circulated through it, do you mean having a return on one side of the poret foam, and then drain on the other therefore forcing water through the foam? How are you securing it?

mPedersen
Re:33 longs. What the hell do I do with these tanks? - Tuesday, March 3, 2015 4:38 PM
Yes, that's exactly what I mean; the foam starts at 1" thick, and I think most are 2" - I learned the hard way that you cannot expect osmosis to simply bring gas exchange and temperature exchange between sides.

The foam is simply held in place by itself; you cut it to be slightly larger than the space you want to fit, so it is compressed once put into place and is constantly trying to expand...a soft, gentle, complete seal but still easily removable.

You can find more probably at Swiss Tropicals; Stephan Tanner is the CORAL Magazine translator (and a Sr. Editor for AMAZONAS as well) and he's the man behind this stuff in the U.S.

president89
Re:33 longs. What the hell do I do with these tanks? - Tuesday, March 3, 2015 5:25 PM

Yes, that's exactly what I mean; the foam starts at 1" thick, and I think most are 2" - I learned the hard way that you cannot expect osmosis to simply bring gas exchange and temperature exchange between sides.

So the return on one side and the drain on the other combats this problem? Interesting.

mPedersen
Re:33 longs. What the hell do I do with these tanks? - Tuesday, March 3, 2015 10:39 PM
"YES, that's exactly what I mean"